Thread: Pekka Gustavson

Jukka Gustavson

Been listening to Gustavson a lot lately. Love his ultra-cool organ patches and his amazingly soulful voice. I have most of his releases on CD plus a lot of the early Wigwam. One of the albums that has eluded me is Valon Vuoksi. My understanding is that is was never released on CD. I fear I will never get to hear it. Can some one who has, post their thoughts here?

Thanks!
    Last edited by rottersclub; 01-31-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Wrong first name, d'oh!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Pekka? Jukka? Gustavson? Rechardt? Tolonen? Pohjola?

Jussi Jokinen?
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

His name is Jukka Gustavson. Great player. And still going strong: I saw him play live twice last year.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Ah, sorry about that!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Thanks, will check it out tonight from home.

I absolutely love Jukka Gustavson. His solo album "Toden Toistoa" is a masterpiece. I can listen to that thing non-stop. Too bad it bankrupted him in 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The first link just takes me to a page with a list of the individual songs. It mentions that there is a digital download from Warner Brothers. I couldn't find that download anywhere. There are a downloads available from iTunes in Norway and Sweden and Amazon (can't remember which country but the currency was Kronars so I guess it's also Norway). Anything available on this side of the Atlantic. I checked all the downloads available and it's most of this other releases but not this one. Thanks for any additional info.

BTW, I listened to some of the album and it's great!

Juha Rantala of Rocket Records attempted to license Valon vuoksi for CD release a couple of years back, but he didn't succeed. So a physical re-release doesn't seem to be in the cards.

It is probably Gustavson's most composed, chamber-like work, with least recourse to the blues-jazz side of his playing. A very restrained but very imaginative and at times quite beautiful work.

I have the Lp of "Valon Vuoksi." It's a different record. Very nice, but less overtly proggy and more pastoral.

Gustavson's 1994 release "Kadonnut Häviämättömiin" is a really great album. Unfortunately there are some duff tracks and a lack of cohesion in the running order. But this problem can be solved! Simply edit and resequence the disc for cdr and you suddenly have a modern classic on your hands. Try sequencing it this way: Track 2, track 4, track 6, track 7, track 1, track 8. It's fantastic this way!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Juha Rantala of Rocket Records attempted to license Valon vuoksi for CD release a couple of years back, but he didn't succeed. So a physical re-release doesn't seem to be in the cards.

It is probably Gustavson's most composed, chamber-like work, with least recourse to the blues-jazz side of his playing. A very restrained but very imaginative and at times quite beautiful work.
    There was a vinyl re-release on Svart a few years ago, though it's OOP now.

I was also able to buy a legit download here:

https://www.musa24.fi/albumi/Jukka-G...-5fb0af1d3fa8/

Not cheap! But worth it.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

My personal fave is his first solo album, the snappily titled ...Jaloa Ylpeyttä Yletän....Ylevää Nöyryyttä Nousen.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    My personal fave is his first solo album, the snappily titled ...Jaloa Ylpeyttä Yletän....Ylevää Nöyryyttä Nousen.
    My favourite also.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Jukka Gustavson guests on Vesa Aaltonen's new album arriving on March 25th but apparently only as a vocalist. Jukka Tolonen also guests but on bass! It appears to be a modern remake of old classics.

1. Tell Me More (Tasavallan Presidentti 1971)

2. Manhattan Vibes (Made In Sweden 1976)

3. Sometimes (Made In Sweden 1976)

4. Lounge (Tasavallan Presidentti 1972)

5. The Sighting (Pekka Pohjola 1979)

6. Deep Thinker (Tasavallan Presidentti 1970)

7. Vapour Trails (Pekka Pohjola 1979)

8. Where Do We Begin (Made In Sweden 1976)

9. Gado-Gado (The Group 1978)

10. Milky Way Moses (Tasavallan Presidentti 1974)

11. Bargain (Tasavallan Presidentti 1972)

12. Peaches En Regalia (Frank Zappa 1969)

(google translation! ;-)

Vesa Aaltonen, known as the drummer of the President of the Republic and numerous other bands and projects, has recorded a new album with his bands in complete silence. The album, which will be released in March, contains new versions of the classic songs of the President of the Republic, Made In Sweden, The Group and Pekka Pohjola, the creation of which Aaltonen has been influencing at the time.

On the new album, Vesa Aaltonen's Prog Band will take care of most of the playing side, with musicians from the slightly younger generation shining alongside their beak man. In the line-up, the bass is played by Jari Heino, who is already classified as a veteran, the demanding guitar parts of the songs are by Jere Haakana, the saxophone and flute parts are by Ilmari Rönkä and Juha Kuoppala, who is familiar with many projects behind the keyboards.

Aaltonen had been planning to make a studio record with his band for a long time, but in the middle of the musicians' countless projects, time was always on the card. As the disease situation emptied the musicians ’gig calendars, the project quickly refined to a practical level.

The album of the drummer legend has gathered a familiar and well-known group of visitors. With three songs by the President of the Republic (Lounge, Milkyway Moses and Bargain), Aalto's former band colleague Jukka Tolonen pops up the bass instead of the guitar. Jukka Gustavson was attracted from the ranks of his contemporary competitor Wigwam to become a session singer, and as a cherry in the cake, Jarmo Nikku has taken up the acoustic guitar in a few songs. Although Gustavson sings almost half of the album's songs, the sound of the younger generation has also been immortalized in the release, as singer Ella Tepponen versions two great Made In Sweden songs Sometimes and Where Do We Begin.