Thread: Brand X - The Peel Sessions(Live @ The BBC) Soundboard

Brand X - The Peel Sessions(Live @ The BBC) Soundboard

Not only does the band smoke on this, the production is soo good it should have had a proper release. WOW...Any heard this??

Wasn't that some of the material from 75/76 that was later "cleaned up" by John & Percy and released as 'Missing Period' ?
    I really like that Missing Period CD. Goodsall added some guitar overdubs to some of it, so in some tunes there's rhythm guitar parts and lead soloing going on at the same time, and also i recall some dual guitar solos--cool stuff! Cleaner sound and this fills (phills) out the material more than the original Peel sessions (though some purists might not approve i guess...)
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Missing Period
    Musicians:
    • Phil Collins - Drums
    • John Goodsall - Guitar
    • Presto Heyman - Percussion
    • Percy Jones - Bass
    • Robin Lumley - Keyboards
    Tracks:
    1. Dead Pretty (7:11)
    2. Kugelblitz (11:03)
    3. Ancient Mysteries (7:19)
    4. Why won't you lend me yours? (8:46)
    5. Miserable virgin (8:55)
    6. Tito's leg (7:23)
    This is a collection of the earliest known Brand X recordings, made shortly before the release of Unorthodox Behaviour. Some of this material surfaced in 1989 on an "official bootleg" cassette called Live in Lybia. According to a representative from Pangea, the master tapes were unmarked, so "nobody really knows" the precise origin of these recordings.
    Perhaps not, but fellow fan Martin Mycock in England found some compelling source evidence in his own tape collection, where the songs matched those on some radio sessions:
    o Dead Pretty, Kugelblitz, and Ancient Mysteries:
    BBC's Maida Vale 4 Studio, London February 26, 1976 for 'The John Peel Show', BBC Radio One.
    o Why Won't You Lend Me Yours, Miserable Virgin:
    BBC's Maida Vale 4 Studio, London July 15, 1976 for 'The John Peel Show', BBC Radio One.
    o Tito's Leg:
    Ronnie Scott's Club, London for 'Rock Around The World' (date not verified, but reasonably assumed to be September 1976 as per the Livestock source).
    Rarely are loyal fans of an eccentric band so richly rewarded. Even though 4 of the 6 tracks are alternate versions of released tunes, there is nothing redundant here. These early renditions effectively document a significant and truly (previously) missing moment in the history of Brand X. Perhaps due to freshness, all of the tunes are just a bit more playful, more unruly, more relaxed and noisier than what settled on their respective LP releases. Here's the blow-by-blow:
     Dead Pretty (Born Ugly) rips open the disc with a perkier, slightly (even) funkier treatment than its nonetheless excellent "finished" version on Unorthodox Behaviour.
     Kugelblitz never made it to an album, possibly because it's something of a mish-mash or musical non-sequitir, suffering a severe segue deficiency. This doesn't stop it from being fun to hear, though, and one of its recurring parts is a silly bit that shortly thereafter appeared on Marscape as "Phobos and Deimos (The Twin Moons of Mars)".
     Ancient Mysteries is another one unique to this release, although it is full of vague reminiscences of tunes on UB and MR.
     Why Won't You Lend Me Yours? is obviously a younger song than its counterpart on MR, but certainly doesn't suffer. The spacey interlude is delightfully supplanted by a boistrous funk jam, and the overall mood of the song is more urgent.
     Miserable Virgin is a very loose and laid-back "Malaga Virgen," already well-conceived at this point.
     Tito's Leg later evolved into "Hate Zone," but this (obviously) live piece sounds like it was little more than a spontaneous jam at the time, albeit a fantastic one.

"Suffering a sever segue deficiency"---LOL, sounds like someone in the band could have written that!

btw I remember Martin Mycock from my tape trading days, we were briefly in touch in the late 90's. Is he on the forum ? if so would he please PM me ? it might be worth the trouble...