Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding Music

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Wow! Really? I've managed to be married for 25 years without being pussywhooped like that.
    Of course, this is just what you SAY. What you actually DO is up to you!

Frank Zappa - Broken Hearts are for Assholes tied w/Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?
    AC/DC - The Jack
    J Geils - Love Stinks
    Bjork - Army of Me
    Tori Amos - Precious Things

Bitter? Me? Nahhhhh.

Seriously, a few I contributed to the between-set tape mix:

Eric Clapton - Never Make You Cry
    Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes
    Yes - Onward
    Greg Lake - Watching Over You, C'est La Vie
    Romantics - What I Like About You
    Bruce Springsteen & ESB - Rosalita
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Here's my idea of wedding music (which it is):

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

This should clear the old folks off the dance floor

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Great Wedding Favorites :

Love Stinks - J. Geils Band
    Before He Cheats - Miranda Lambert
    D-I-V-O-R-C-E - Tammy Wynette
    Should've Cheated -by Keyshia Cole
    (I Did It For) The Nookie - Limp Bizkit

Glad to see Ivo Papasovs wedding band mentioned.

How about:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This should clear the old folks off the dance floor

.looooooooooooollllll

rotflmao.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Glad to see Ivo Papasovs wedding band mentioned.

How about:
    I was thinking of posting that when I saw the direction this thread was going in. Great minds...

Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-03-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Great Wedding Favorites :

Love Stinks - J. Geils Band
    Before He Cheats - Miranda Lambert
    D-I-V-O-R-C-E - Tammy Wynette
    Should've Cheated -by Keyshia Cole
    (I Did It For) The Nookie - Limp Bizkit
    Don't forget, Another One bites The Dust - Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Don't forget, Another One bites The Dust - Queen

Not to mention Fat Bottomed Girls...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

How about having a live band singing "Harder than Your Husband" to the bride?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I think we may have strayed off topic.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Run while you can ( somebody had to tell you the truth and here's some more ;-) ). It's your wedding, too. Your sweet, quiet bride will change soon enough and tell you what to do, try and be your mother on a regular basis so I would def. be part of the music planning as long as you like a variety of music that appeals to others and sets the tone for certain times throughout the reception/party. Still want to get married? I would only recommend it for a breeding partner and if you want to get the Hawaiian disease known as Lackanookie and like getting fat. LOL

Went to my cousin's wedding last and they had a great black R&B band that played some mean disco as well. The old folks were loving it. I love all kinds of music and own a bit of everything and I'm cheap so no band, no D.J. for me. I recorded several c.d.s of everything that most folks would like from the youngest to the oldest, and most importantly enough songs that I liked ( people were trapped and forced to hear a couple of YES-tunes ;-) ). I had specific c.d.s recorded for before the wedding, leading up to the wedding, a song before saying our vows, after the deed walking down the aisle, dinner and then reception music. It all worked out great and probably was the last time I was truly in control or not being told what to do since my/our wedding just over 10 years ago. I didn't even bother doing anything special for our tenth just like I don't do the x-mas, birthday or Valentines' Day presents. Let your wife know it's a waste of money and you don't need a special occasion to treat her; vacations are better and a nice diamond ring and diamond earrings are all you should ever have to buy her as far as jewelry is concerned. Be sure to set the tone early. ;-)

Oh, we were talking about wedding music weren't we? ;-) Off the top of my head played I am Waiting by YES gearing up for the wedding. Before our vows I played part of Homeworld by YES where Jon sings "Truth is a simple place, here for us all to see. Reach as it comes to you, as it comes to me, as I will always need you inside my heart. Peace is a word we teach, a place for us all to reach, Sing as it sings to you, as it sings to me, as I will always need you inside my heart". I blame Jon Anderson for us getting married in the first place as I took my wife on our second date to a YES show and he felt the love on stage and approved of the two of us while they were playing Wonderous Stories. Theme for our wedding was Wonderous Story and 10 years later, Chris Squire asked me if I was still married to her?. LOL After it was official I played Follow you, follow me followed by Roxy Music's Let's Stick Together. A little Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass to cut the cake and we left to YES's Onward. A lot of normal, variety music in between and folks seemed happy. Gave my neighbor who left a little early the key to my place where he lit all the candles in glass bowls going up the driveway, up the stairs inside my house to my bedroom around the bed and in the bathroom. New wife was probably the happiest she's been except for the birth of our daughter. Be sure to make some new favorite music with your future wife; it makes life easier. Good Luck!

Curious what the latest news is here -- did you get beaten into shape yet???

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Anything you choose is likely to be "wrong" and you'll never hear the end of it -- so just give up now without a fight
    ^^^ +1 Gaze into your future...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "There will be no mutant enemy we shall certify..." <-- and a hand for the bride and her father...

You should enter to Eloy: Atlantis' Agony at June 5th - 8498, 13 P.M. Gregorian.

First dance to Genesis: Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

Exit to King Crimson: Doctor Diamond

Ah, songs for the wedding day. That reminds me of a story...

For my wedding, for the recessional I wanted the organ recessional from Janacek's Glagolithic Mass, and I got the music to the organist two months in advance. He contacted me a week before the wedding and said that he'd need an extra $100 to do that specific piece. A Julliard graduate who touted himself as a great organist. My composition instructor from school was willing to do it for the price of a bottle of Bordeaux, but the rules of the church or union or something strictly forbade it, so I got to pick something from the organist's prepared repertoire. We had a mando trio (mandolin, mandola and mandobass) for our reception, and I specifically requested 'La Vie en Rose' for our first dance, probably also two months in advance, when we booked the group. When first dance came around, the leader sheepishly pulled me aside and said they hadn't learned the song. I told him to pick one.

In both instances, I should have grabbed either dude by the lapels and said, "ASSHOLE!!!! It's only my wedding day, and it only meant enough to me to qualify my specific request to you well enough in advance that you could deal with it!!! Does it matter to you that this was something that was important to me????! Do you even care??!?!?!" [Blow dealt to individual here, with the back of the hand]

Be sure to ask for what you want, and to underscore that it's important to you. If your requests are not meant, withhold payment or have your best man resort to more punitive physical measures.

That marriage of mine didn't work out, so I have since forgiven the musicians for their transgression against my best intentions, but not for their professional shortcomings.

Bah.

Boy, this thread really got shat upon while I was away. Some of you guys sound really whipped.

Here was the list of songs we had played at our wedding (this isn't a complete list, but a list of the more interesting songs…)

Pre-ceremony
    Last Train Home - Pat Metheny
    The Great Spectacular - Dixie Dregs
    Close To The Edge - Yes
    Soon - Yes
    Jupiter - Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker
    Countdown (first 0:45 or so) - Rush
    Sirius (first minute or so) - Alan Parsons Project
    Processional
    Appalachia Waltz - Yo-Yo Ma
    Bridal Entrance
    Celebration - Steve Hackett (my bride chose this song on her own - very fanfare type of intro - perfect.)
    Recessional
    Follow You Follow Me - Genesis

After the ceremonies I had Robert Berry (from the old band Three with Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer) play an hour set of acoustic music with another guitar player, Paul Keller. Amongst the songs they played:
    Watcher of the Sky (acoustic) - Genesis
    Biggest Part of Me - Ambrosia (we used this song as our first dance)

The rest of the evening was back to the DJ.
    Dinner Music
    And You And I - Yes
    When It All Comes Together - Metaphor
    For Today - Camel
    Part One (The Way Up) - Pat Metheny
    Again (Part II) - David Sancious
    First Part: A Kiss Of The Earth-Introduction - Marc Spooner
    Love, Reign O'er Me - The Who
    Dancing
    Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
    Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer

That's about it… As you might imagine most of the dancing music was non-prog. We got a lot of compliments on the music.

Suspended
    Billy Idol - White Wedding. Obvious, I should think.

Here's one that's a great song, but probably highly unsuitable ifyou want the wedding to go well:

I would think no wedding would be complete without Spinal Tap - Sex Farm but what do I know, I've never been married.