Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Gilmour's ON AN ISLAND more Pink Floyd....

David Gilmour's ON AN ISLAND more Pink Floyd....

....than Pink Floyd - compared to the Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Makes me wonder how much corporate "commercial" infuence was exerted on Floyd's last albums.

echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Um..okay. Whatever. I just think it's a great album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Um..okay. Whatever. I just think it's a great album.
    Yes it is
    echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

"More Pink Floyd than Pink Floyd"? WTF does that mean? MLoR and DB weren't Gilmour solo albums, you do realize that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "More Pink Floyd than Pink Floyd"? WTF does that mean? MLoR and DB weren't Gilmour solo albums, you do realize that, right?
    Yes and that was my point. Gilmour's solo album sounds more like old Pink Floyd than those last albums - just an observation.
    echolynfan

My Pink Floyd Is from Pipers to Meddle, so I can't agree with the OP.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

O,n an Island is a boring snoozefest.... and probably Gilmour's weaker solo album.

both Xaters-less Floyd albums are better than OIA, but AMLOR is only very barely so...

What seves TDB is the closing High Hopes track.
    Last edited by Trane; 01-29-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    My Pink Floyd Is from Pipers to Meddle, so I can't agree with the OP.
    I said OLD Pink Floyd not ancient - I love the ancient stuff too
    echolynfan

I disagee. DB was pretty good post-Waters Floyd album. On An Island was a major snooze. So much so, that I made the moronic decision not to see the tour when he came to town. The set of Floyd stuff he played on that tour was unfeaking-believable, especially Echoes which was better than the original. Not to mention it was the last tour with Richard. The DVD from the tour is great, but I only watch the Floyd set. I've tried and tried, just can't stay awake for On An Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    O,n an Island is a boring snoozefest.... and probably Gilmour's weaker solo album.
    Uhh..yeah..I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there..

OfficeSpace.jpg
    echolynfan

I was just thinking about Gilmour and that last tour. Which would be the better DVD choice, Remember That Night, or Gdansk?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    1I think they where! those albums are Gilmour with a host of session musicians
    Gilmour ruined Pink Floyd, there, I said it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was just thinking about Gilmour and that last tour. Which would be the better DVD choice, Remember That Night, or Gdansk?
    Both

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I agree with the OP. On an Island is a great album, and it DOES sound more like Floyd than AMLOR and TDB do. Listening to the live concerts that were released helps solidify this impression. The OaI music from these concerts is only a snooze-fest if God playing guitar makes you snooze.

I know what you mean. I personally love On An Island! It's mellow and melodic. The production is a bit more "vintage Floyd" sounding (Dark Side/WYWH era) and there are some nice orchestral moments on it too. He sounds great! I wish I saw this tour with Richard Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Both are great but Gdanks just edges it because of the significance of that show: a) it was the final show of that tour and they played their asses off, b) it was the final live performance of Rick Wright and somehow it seemed he knew he didn't have much time left anymore because it seemed like he didn't want that show to end. The end section of Echoes is probably the longest they ever did and the interplay between him and Gilmour is spinetingling.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    IMV Sorrow sounds more like classic Floyd then anything from the studio version of OAI.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I love On an Island--Maybe I like snoosefests,
    I dont want all music to be in your face with a metal edge and full of shredders showing off.

I love David Crosbys new one too.

On an Island is, to me, the perfect "book with a good glass of wine" album. (Or whatever your drink of choice is )
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    On an Island is, to me, the perfect "book with a good glass of wine" album. (Or whatever your drink of choice is )
    True - there's nothing you really need to concentrate on, lyrically. Just let it flow.

Quote Originally Posted by echolynfan View Post
    Yes and that was my point. Gilmour's solo album sounds more like old Pink Floyd than those last albums - just an observation.
    no, The Division Bell was very much a Pink Floyd album and more of what the Floyd sound was than the ultra mellow On An Island.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I have been saying the same thing since it came out. I think it is well documented that A Momentary Lapse of Reason was a contrived mess that had more ghostwriters and side musicians than real content from the remaining members of Floyd. Wright is barely on the album. Hell, Nick is barely on the album either. They added a bunch of sound effects just to make it Floyd-like. It ended up sounding like "About Face 2" with sound fx mixed in.

The Division Bell was miles better, and actually sounded like a natural Floyd album, and I think Rick's input and a more natural production made for a better album overall.

On An Island really harkens back to Floyd back before DSOTM, when Dave was churning out laid back trippy songs "Wots Uh the Deal". Too bad it lacked a "NILE SONG"!

I really like much of On an Island. Some of David's guitar is so remarkable, like the solo on "The Blue". My God! I don't know what it is about him that makes him my favorite soloist, but he's just pure magic! I think the album is perfect for where he was at that point in his life -- mellow and beautiful. But I wouldn't say it's "more Floyd" than the last 2 Floyd albums...no reason to go there, really. As most folks have said here, Division Bell was a marvelous Floyd album, I love so many tracks on there, very well done.

The extras on the Gdansk DVD are so worth it! There's several editions out there, so they don't all have the DVD extras. The scene of where David and Roger are both rehearsing in the same location for their respective tours is creepy and marvelous at the same time -- what a moment! And I liked the singing bowls with "Shine on You Crazy" from the street busker, a very nice touch.

On An Island is one of the most poignant albums I've ever heard. The last four tracks have brought me to tears. Can't listen to it too often, but when I do, at the right time, look out. Yeah, I like it much better than anything Floyd has done since Animals.

Quote Originally Posted by echolynfan View Post
    ....than Pink Floyd - compared to the Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Makes me wonder how much corporate "commercial" infuence was exerted on Floyd's last albums.

]
    Not to my ears. I like "On An Island", but it is probably my least favorite of David's solo albums or latter day Pink Floyd.

Steve Sly