Thread: Rush-Clockwork Angels

Rush-Clockwork Angels

It's been out for about a year and a half now. However, I didn't spin it for the first time until about a year after it came out. I don't remember when I actually bought it but I suppose maybe a few months after its release.

Anyway, here's my opinion after 2 or 3 full spins so far:

It's definitely good. I don't feel it lives up to the hype it received at the time of it's release. Often times an album will either get a better reputation or a worse one over time. Well, I'd say the latter would be the case here. Even though it hasn't lived up to the hype,imo, perhaps this one is a real grower. I think it gets better towards the end of the album. However, it does seem a bit inconsistent to me. Over all I think I like it better than Snakes and Arrows even if it doesn't have some of the great instrumentals that one does. If there's one thing RUSH seem to consistently do great it's their instrumentals as good as Neil Pearts lyrics usually are.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Another great release that's IMO marred by completely muddy production.

I got to re-hear this recently in context of the concert video and I still think it's an amazing collection, and the best album of the past 20 years.

My only complaints are that there's little relief from the pyrotechnics except for a couple songs. It would have benefited from a little more yin to counter all the yang.

Plus, there's too many lyrics and they sort of all get run together in a way that I can't understand half of what Geddy is singing. In the old days he wrote his vocal melodies and enunciated them in a way that I could pretty much get most of what came out of his mouth the first time. Now, not so much (except for the choruses which he tends to bang you over the head with.)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

For me, it's almost up there with the likes of the 2112 - Moving Pictures period.

It works well as an album but also as individual songs - I've had every Rush song on shuffle on my MP3 player over the last month, and whenever an Angels track comes on, I'm surprised how well it stands up alongside the classic older stuff.

I actually like the mix - Geddy's bass finally has the low end wallop of his live sound, something they've struggled to capture on previous albums - but I can understand why some find it muddy.

Once you read the book, the album lyrics become clearer, and you're almost feeling that the album could have used a couple more songs to bridge some of the narrative gaps - but that would spoil the album for me as a listening experience. Its running time is about right as it is.

Fair point about Geddy's singing - but he IS getting older (like the rest of us...!) and while the instrument technology evolves and improves, there's not a lot you can do about the flesh and blood wearing out.

If Clockwork Angels is the band's last album then it's a fine effort to bow out on. If I'm being honest, as much as I look forward to more new stuff, I'd rather this very enjoyable album capped off their impressive career, rather than something potentially hit or miss as a follow up.

My expectations for Rush have been low for the past 20 years and especially after the dreadful Snakes & Arrows, but CA is far better than my expectations for them at this point in their career. The mix is noisy to my ears, but nowhere near as bad as (original) Vapor Trails. At least I can hear Geddy's crunchy bass.

This is the first album since Power Windows where there are no songs I dislike. I like Caravan and Headlong Flight better than anything they've done in a long time.

If Clockwork Angels is the band's last album then it's a fine effort to bow out on. If I'm being honest, as much as I look forward to more new stuff, I'd rather this very enjoyable album capped off their impressive career, rather than something potentially hit or miss as a follow up.
    Agreed!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Love the album still! I do tend to skip "Halo Effect" but the rest of it is fantastic. I think "Headlong Flight" along with "Far Cry" from the last album are among the best songs they've ever done.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great album, that actually is getting better the more I listen to it. I LOVE Vapor Trails but was incredibly disappointed by Snakes & Arrows. I don't think Clockwork Angels is as good as Vapor Trails but it is way better than it should be considering that they are in the twilight of their career. And it does have songs on it that are up there with my favorites: "Caravan," "BU2B," "The Garden," and "Wish Them Well."

I have a bone to pick with some aspects of it, of course, but I still think it's great, and, assuming that they are done, it is a more than fitting swan song for my favorite band of all time.

I haven't listened to it in a few months, but I still enjoy listening to it. I think the excitement has died down, but it's still a solid Rush album front to back with few lulls. Considering the spottiness of most Rush albums over the last 20+ years, that's saying something. Definitely holds its own with the classic albums of the 70s and 80s, even if it's not necessarily top-tier. It rocks, it's got heart, lots of great playing and writing throughout, and one of the best album closers ever.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Another great release that's IMO marred by completely muddy production.
    Absolutely. The production reminds of 'Vapor Trails' .

Can't listen too this album, because the production is so bad. And there's no excuse for it. I figure if the band doesn't care, then I don't care either.

+1 on the poor sound of the album. I mean, really...when Moving Pictures from 33 years ago sounds so clear and incredible, how is it that this is the best they can do??

Maybe the band's hearing is shot and the mix sounds okay to them.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I spun this once, filed it away, and do not plan on returning to it. Not because I don't like the songs, I just can't deal with the (over)production! I'd much rather listen to the BluRay version. The string section complements the band beautifully.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I don't really get the "horrible production" comments. I think it sounds fine. Not great, not crystal clear, but fine. Vapor Trails had its own problems, with clipping and whatnot. But I don't hear much (if anything) like that on CMFA. I can hear what each instrument is doing, and I think the overall sound is good. *shrug*
    flute juice

I don't get the production complaints either. Then again I'm probabaly partially deaf in one ear and listen to it on headphones with cotton in both ears.

I can tell this will have to be an album that grows on me much like snakes and arrows. I also have yet to purchase the newly mastered version of Vapor Trails.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I guess what I'm saying is...why can't it be great? Why should they settle with "fine" when they have already produced many albums that sound so much better? This is what I don't understand.

I haven't bought a Rush album in ages (I think counterparts was my last attempt, at which point I ditched that and everything post Signals in disgust and never looked back). But my friend said CA was a great return to form, so when I saw it used for $5 about a month ago, I took a chance. I have no complaints about the production. It certainly sounds better to me than Vapor Trails, which I thought was abysmal production-wise.

But man I have no desire to revisit this. I guess there's a couple of OK songs here, but at its best it is tame, lame, and boring to my ears. None of the panache that made late 70s - early 80s Rush so interesting to me. I had figured that was gone for good, and hearing this pretty much confirmed it for me. I still love 2112 - Signals, but to me they just lost the plot after that.

YMMV, but there's so much great stuff out there I just can't see myself bothering with stuff like this anymore, whether it's from a band I used to love or not.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    I don't really get the "horrible production" comments. I think it sounds fine. Not great, not crystal clear, but fine. Vapor Trails had its own problems, with clipping and whatnot. But I don't hear much (if anything) like that on CMFA. I can hear what each instrument is doing, and I think the overall sound is good. *shrug*

There's way too much mastering compression for one thing which I noticed right off the bat.

But the music's not bad, I must say. Love that Yes feeling on The Garden, inspiring song.

there are some great songs..... but seems like a sloppy album. not refined and sharp like the production of their 80's into the 90's album. i hope they choose a different producer next time around..... if there is a next time around.

I mean, really...when Moving Pictures from 33 years ago sounds so clear and incredible, how is it that this is the best they can do??
    This ...

(by the way, typing "this" after quoting someone you agree with is becoming a very tired cliche, but that's the same question I've been asking for years, so THIS! )

When Rush reformed/recorded a new album/went on tour in 2002 I'd only been a serious Rush fan for about 2-3 years. I was excited, overjoyed that they were touring and recording. When Vapor Trails was released I didn't even have a chance to buy a brand new copy before I saw a used copy (barely a week after its release) and got it. It sounded horrible. As time has passed I've come to the conclusion that VT has some good songs, but even besides the horrible, HOT, clipping sound of the album nothing can compare to anything they produced from 1974 to 1982. So I asked the same question.....Is this the best they can do?

I started losing interest in Rush, probably around 2005 or so. I only attended the VT tour and stopped caring after that tour.
    Then Snakes & Arrows comes out in, what 2007? The thought of buying that album and taking a chance never entered my mind. I think I played the whole album once on youtube. Besides the one good song (the opener) the rest was just bland, lifeless, and just had no balls at all. And from most reviews I've read of S&N, it seems most people find it bland as well (with some exceptions of course, every band has its gushing fanboys who LOVE everything their favorite band squeezes out).

Then, when Clockwork was in the stages of being recorded/produced the band released a couple singles and it seemed like they were attempting a "return to form." Wow, they're recording a concept album! Then I heard Headlong Flight and I got interested in Rush again. CA wasn't gonna be an auto-buy though, I'd wait until the album was released and read all the reviews here before deciding whether it was worth buying. Most reviews were positive, from extreme, gushing praise, to complaints about how horrible it sounds. But the majority of the reviews were positive. I knew I'd probably end up getting it, but the more threads I read, and as the weeks passed by I started reading more complaints about the album. Then Amazon offered the download (with all the album art, lyrivs, etc.) of CA for 99 cents so I took advantage of that.

It's been many months since I've played the album. The production itself doesn't bother me. I still think Death Magnetic (Metallica) sounds great, so sue me. The problem with Rush's sound now is that it's just too cluttered, and I really cannot stand Geddy's singing anymore. If CA would've been the album they released in 2002 instead of VT I'm sure I would've liked it more (the songs, the concept, blah blah). It would have been a "return to form" at the time (or the closest they've been to a "return to form" in 20 years). I'm not sure what we can expect from this band anymore. I don't care one way or the other. So why am I posting on this thread then? Because when you look back on this band's legacy, and that awesome discography from their glory days, how great those albums SOUNDED (we're talking 30-40 years ago now) you wonder.....

...... is Clockwork Angels the best they can come up with?

Maybe it is. Maybe if they would've produced a less cluttered sounding mess it would've been better. Who knows?

My fav Rush record since Signals - packed with great tunes and a lovely closing tune - just could have done with a little more acoustic stuff for me.

My opinion of it hasn't changed: a good album that was the best Rush had done since Hold Your Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsnow View Post
    My fav Rush record since Signals - packed with great tunes and a lovely closing tune
    I completely agree and I have no problems with the mix/production, blah blah blah...

I think this album rocks harder than anything Rush has done in quite a while, the instruments all sound fantastic, love the way Geddy's bass growls throughout the whole album (it even sealed the deal that I prefer the Jazz Bass over the Rickenbacker), the songs are great, even the storyline holds my interest.
    I think it will stand as one of their stongest albums in the catalog and I enjoy it as much as Hemispheres, AFTK, Fly By Night, Moving Pictures, well, you get the picture.