Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making A Playlist For A Tough Workout

Making A Playlist For A Tough Workout

I regularly go to indoor training courses for cycle racing. (Long story - it's on a thing called a CompuTrainer, and a certified racing instructor puts 8 of us at a time through some VERY tough workouts. Picture below.)

Point is - I've been asked to create a playlist of music to be played at a few of these sessions.

So I'm looking for something that is:
    ** Approachable for non-prog people (Muggles)
    ** Fairly heavy, to match the very tough workouts - and at least equivalent to the hard rock they usually play.
    ** Still prog / prog-metal / whatever - i.e. more intellectual than the drecht they usually play

Any thoughts?

KASS.jpg

Here's a picture of last Saturday's training course:
    8 of us in a semi-circle, watching a screen that shows everyone's stats - so you're actually racing everyone else in the class.
    (Check out the good looking hunk in black and white, at the far left )
    Regards,

Duncan

Check out Brian Eno's Nerve Net from 1992 - more driving rock stuff than ambient - have used it for Stairmaster sessions

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

How about some of Deep Purple's more uptempo stuff like "Burn", "Highway Star", or "Gypsy's Kiss"?
    Or does that fall under the hard rock that they usually play?

Duncan....when working out these days I use Chimp Spanner fairly often. It is driving and mostly uptempo.

Check out Maserati's last album too...not as metal but fairly great uptempo stuff. Sort of like Ozric Tentacles but less, ummm, aimless perhaps?

Zombi works pretty well too.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Deliberately sequenced.

Losing My Edge - LCD Soundsystem (st)
    Aerodynamic - Daft Punk (Discovery)
    The Great Curve - Talking Heads
    Help Me Somebody - Brian Eno/David Byrne (My Life in Bush of Ghosts)
    Atlas - Battles (Mirrored)
    Waiting Room - Fugazi (st)
    Hot Rails to Hell - Blue Oyster Cult (Tyranny & Mutation)
    400 Bucks - Reverend Horton Heat (Full Custom Gospel Sounds Of)
    Ditch (Jon Spencer Blues Explosion)
    Jesus Built By Hotrod - Ministry (Psalm 69)
    DMV - Primus (Pork Soda)
    Five-G - Bruford (One of a Kind)
    La Mela di Odessa - Area (Crac)
    Vital Transformation - Mahavishnu Orchestra (Inner Mounting Flame)

One of my fave stoner albums to listen to on the treadmill would be Wo Fat's Black Code

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My high tempo workout mix:
    Spoonman (Soundgarden)
    Over My Head (King's
    Train of Consequences (Megadeth)
    Bodies (Drowning Pool)
    Stupify (Disturbed)
    I Can't Take You w Me (D97)
    So Ready (echolyn)

I tend to favorite:

Up-tempo Ozrics
    LIVE Deep Purple
    Iron Maiden
    Al Di Meola's up-tempo electric stuff.
    Symphony X
    Some Mahavishnu Orchestra

I've discovered that listening to good music does not make working out more enjoyable; working out makes good songs less enjoyable.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    ** Approachable for non-prog people (Muggles)
    ** Fairly heavy, to match the very tough workouts - and at least equivalent to the hard rock they usually play.
    ** Still prog / prog-metal / whatever - i.e. more intellectual than the drecht they usually play

Any thoughts?
    I can obviously only relate to my own experience (being a runner and lifter), but the following are three artists that I keep spinning while working out intensively:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I go with techno/rock/groove oriented stuff:

Ozrics
    Hydria Spacefolk
    Quantum Fantay
    Taipuva Luotisuora
    Korai Öröm
    Másfél
    Kraan
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Deliberately sequenced.

Losing My Edge - LCD Soundsystem (st)
    Aerodynamic - Daft Punk (Discovery)
    The Great Curve - Talking Heads
    Help Me Somebody - Brian Eno/David Byrne (My Life in Bush of Ghosts)
    Atlas - Battles (Mirrored)
    Waiting Room - Fugazi (st)
    Hot Rails to Hell - Blue Oyster Cult (Tyranny & Mutation)
    400 Bucks - Reverend Horton Heat (Full Custom Gospel Sounds Of)
    Ditch (Jon Spencer Blues Explosion)
    Jesus Built By Hotrod - Ministry (Psalm 69)
    DMV - Primus (Pork Soda)
    Five-G - Bruford (One of a Kind)
    La Mela di Odessa - Area (Crac)
    Vital Transformation - Mahavishnu Orchestra (Inner Mounting Flame)
    Good list - but I would imagine something like "Atlas" would freak people out!

Ultimately finding good workout music can be tough - if you're working out hard at all it is tough to concentrate on the music, so anything too complex just sort of washes over the ears. I prefer shorter, catchier songs. A 10-minute prog epic feels like about 30 minutes when you're doing cardio

If Battles is the band that has "Munchkin" vox, then yes, I think some people might ride off a cliff.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Good list - but I would imagine something like "Atlas" would freak people out!

Ultimately finding good workout music can be tough - if you're working out hard at all it is tough to concentrate on the music, so anything too complex just sort of washes over the ears. I prefer shorter, catchier songs. A 10-minute prog epic feels like about 30 minutes when you're doing cardio
    I do regular stationary cycling myself so I can say with prior experience that Atlas is a *great* cycling song. Music to perform cycling to needs to have intensity and/or a strong beat to be an effective accompanying force and Atlas has both, IMO.

I guess it could be a little intimidating for someone unused to it, but I'd bet they would learn to at least appreciate its utility as a cycling aid.

It definitely does - I use it for the same purpose. But there's just something about that tune that makes people uncomfortable.

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Although I have a CD collection of almost 4,000, there's a LOT in the posts above that I don't have.

I'm listening to Battles / Mirrored / Atlas on Grooveshark.com right now. Sounds quite cool!

I'll spend some time this weekend building a playlist from the above and from my own thoughts, and will try it out in the gym before I take it to my CompuTrainer class.

Thanks again - and I look forward to more recommendations.
    Regards,

Duncan

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    + 1 for Chimp Spanner.

The first half of the Adrenaline Mob debut cd is a gym staple for me. The Frameshift cd "Absence of Empathy" has a lot of choice stuff too.
    Pain of Salvation is a gold mine as well. "In the Flesh" gets regular rotation, along with much of the rest of TPE, and Remedy Lane.

I have quite a lot of Rush on my workout playlist. It's perfect! You can find great songs from any decade that will get the heart pumping

JAZZ/FUSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I started lifting when I was 18 and continued for about two years. It was absolutely always Jethro Tull. Yes was and still is my favorite but somehow Tull made it easier to lift and got my blood circulating. If I was lifting with my friend John it was Tull and Neil Young's Live Rust which I found tolerable but I have never liked Young's voice.

Joe Satriani. He dominates my workout playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    I started lifting when I was 18 and continued for about two years. It was absolutely always Jethro Tull. Yes was and still is my favorite but somehow Tull made it easier to lift and got my blood circulating. If I was lifting with my friend John it was Tull and Neil Young's Live Rust which I found tolerable but I have never liked Young's voice.
    One has not bench-pressed until they've done so to "Jack-In-The-Green."

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    One has not bench-pressed until they've done so to "Jack-In-The-Green."
    I believe SFtW was one of the albums I was listening to the day I learned the hard way never to bench without a spotter. Unfortunately John didn't always want to listen to Tull.