Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prince Sues People Who Shared Links to RoIOs

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    And just because he's filthy rich does not mean he should not be able to make as much money from his music. And, his music incorporates numerous other individuals on his payroll including but not limited to other musicians in his band, as well as all those needed to put on a show; techs, roadies, lighting/sound personnel etc etc.
    Absolutely, it's his right to be a greedy, petulant, high-pitched, vertically challenged, self-absorbed twit in heels. But, it's not like he's facing any financial hardship over this.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Prince drops copyright lawsuit against bloggers accused of sharing concert footage online

Prince has dropped the federal copyright infringnement lawsuit he filed less than two weeks ago seeking $22 million from 22 bloggers who allegedly posted his songs online illegally.

The 55-year-old music legend filed the lawsuit on January 16 in a US federal district court in San Francisco seeking $1 million from each blogger for allegedly distributing concert footage.

The alleged bootleggers had been accused in the lawsuit of using Facebook and Google's Blogger to link to live concert recordings without permission from Prince.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    And like that, that lawsuits have been dropped by Prince.
    Wow - he must have read this thread! Glad he dropped it, but did he do ANY kind of analysis or think through of what the response would be?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...etzelbodylogic

So, it seems like it could have been a publicity stunt. What a whore.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, it seems like it could have been a publicity stunt. What a whore.
    'You rang?" said Brett Michaels

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    'You rang?" said Brett Michaels
    That was too funny!

Although I like a lot of Prince's singles (or did - I only know the 80s ones and I'm not sure they've aged that well), I can't imagine EVER wanting to listen to a Prince bootleg, or even an official live recording. He should feel lucky there are people who do want to listen to those things.

Although I like a lot of Prince's singles (or did - I only know the 80s ones and I'm not sure they've aged that well), I can't imagine EVER wanting to listen to a Prince bootleg, or even an official live recording. He should feel lucky there are people who do want to listen to those things.

Prince doesn't seem to have an official website, does he?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Perhaps, in Prince World, he does.

He does, but the URL is this unpronounceable symbol that isn't on your keyboard.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    He does, but the URL is this unpronounceable symbol that isn't on your keyboard.
    And, it's only accessible from his private network. But, at least he can prevent himself from posting unreleased recordings.

I don't follow him at all, but I vaguely recall him flouncing off the Internet in a huff a few years back for some petty reason or another. At one time, he had an Internet-based fan club that got access to special releases etc. Didn't he go so far as to pull all of the catalog under his control from distribution at one point?

Prince is a control freak, and I understand the urge to want to control every single representation of your music out there. I'm sure the bootlegs drive him up the wall, since he doesn't get the opportunity to mix them or fix them the way he'd like (not even to mention the money stuff).

Most artists today seem to shrug off of the YouTube stuff or even see it as free publicity. I mean, in the "good old days", you had to ply DJs and program directors with hookers, blow and money to get your music broadcast to the world. Now, your fans do it for free. Services like Dime are another issue, obviously, but Prince should be smart enough to know that recorded music is mostly a labor of love now or a promotional tool, not a moneymaker. That's been true for years, at this point.

Damn, never thought I would watch 30 minutes of a guy talking about his encounters with Prince, but that was pretty funny, thanks for the video post.