Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metallica and Lang Lang at the Grammys

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    Sorry for the rant Polypet. You articulated yourself much better than my post which was basically me just going off.

If you have seen "In to the Never" than you've seen the ultimate Metallica concert (although I like their first three albums much more than their later work thus the concert set list was so-so for me).

If you have seen "Johnny Got His Gun" than the emotional tie to the song "One" can be very strong.

Yup, maybe it wasn't the best from either artist(s) but I thought it was interesting, although I understand the feeling from many that it was gimmicky.

I'm just a pedestrian music lover, thus don't tend to over analyze performances that much (although I've seen my share of lack luster live shows in my lifetime).

The rest of the Grammy acts held no interest for me and the only thing I did enjoy was the Metallica / Lang Lang "duet"

Sorry for the misspellings, this site's spell check doesn't work for me and I'm too lazy to paste this in to word and than back in to the forum!

I just ran across this, which Sony apparently posted last week. Lang Lang just seeing what Prokofiev and Bartok sound like if you add a hot drummer. I imagine there's a progger or two somewhere who will think this sounds pretty happening.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    I just ran across this, which Sony apparently posted last week. Lang Lang just seeing what Prokofiev and Bartok sound like if you add a hot drummer. I imagine there's a progger or two somewhere who will think this sounds pretty happening.
    Interesting, but the drummer was totally NOT rocking.

Hip hop. Way to try and make the classics appeal to kids in the hood, Lang Lang. NOT! These dudes need to listen to some old school Kieth Emerson - Brian Davison jams.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I wanted to what all the fuss was about too and the video was taken down. But whatever, I've never heard of Lang Lang, and I never cared for Metallica and Symphony. I love Metallica but I'm just not into the whole "symphony orchestra + BIG Heavy Metal Band" (or prog band for that matter) thing. I'm just so over it. I wish Metallica would just release a new album. They still deliver the goods. I love "Death Magnetic" and "Beyond Magnetic." They might've blown their wad on those disks. I hope they come up with something new soon because I've been jonesing for new Metallica for a while.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I wanted to what all the fuss was about too and the video was taken down. But whatever, I've never heard of Lang Lang, and I never cared for Metallica and Symphony. I love Metallica but I'm just not into the whole "symphony orchestra + BIG Heavy Metal Band" (or prog band for that matter) thing. I'm just so over it. I wish Metallica would just release a new album. They still deliver the goods. I love "Death Magnetic" and "Beyond Magnetic." They might've blown their wad on those disks. I hope they come up with something new soon because I've been jonesing for new Metallica for a while.
    I found another version, not sure if it's complete or not, and I pasted it in the original first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I found another version, not sure if it's complete or not, and I pasted it in the original first post.
    Just watched it. Well, the quality is bad since it was recorded on a phone or tablet. I think the piano worked in the slow, first half of the song, although it sounded like Kirk was playing the solos note-for-note like on the album. Then the piano break in the middle kinda threw a bucket of cold water over the whole thing. It sounded clumsy as hell. Maybe they should've used another song or something. I'm trying to be open minded about it but I just don't think an acoustic piano works with Metallica. I'll give 'em a B for effort and trying something different, but I'd give the performance a D. But again, it's hard to judge when you're watching/hearing a concert performance recorded on a smartphone.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Well, now it's 2017 and Metallica is on the Grammys with Lady Gaga.

In one line: get off my lawn!

Wow, so many fuckups on tonight's Grammys. Het gets a dead mike on the piece with Lady Gaga, Adele restarts her George Michael tribute, William Bell comes in late on "Born Under a Bad Sign", and a half the people brought in to sing "Sweet Caroline" with James Corben and Neil Diamond didn't know the damn words. The Time and Bruno Mars at least did a decent job on the Prince tribute.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bruno Mars did a great job with the Prince tribute. Would have been notched up a few if they had the members of The Revolution as part of the backing band.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, now it's 2017 and Metallica is on the Grammys with Lady Gaga.

In one line: get off my lawn!
    How was Lady Gaga?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    How was Lady Gaga?
    I thought she was pretty good, all things considered. But she was less-noticeable with having to compete with Hetfield's mic issues.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    It was certainly pretty cheesy, but Lang Lang's Liberaceisms aside, I sort of got a kick out of the "Emerson meets Metallica" aspect of it. Which is not to say I'd ever want to watch or listen to it again.
    Emerson meets Metallica? Sounds like Dream Theater to me.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Just saw a YT of the GaGa Metallica performance, and I have to say, I was pretty damn impressed, more then I thought I would be. I had already heard that she had performed in a Zep cover band early in her career, so I figured she would know how to rock.

The mic issues were pretty cool actually. Sure, the first few lines were wrecked for James, but it made them improvise, LIVE on stage, in an era where so many acts mail theses sorts of performances in by lip synch Cariah style. Lady G really picked up the slack here for James.

I thought it was awesome when the two shared a mic, and then GaGa did her thing with each individual member of Metallica, including practically knocking over Lars on his kit!
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't even notice he had mic issues, though I did notice them sharing a mic.

Metallica hit a new low, although they didn't have to go far

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Metallica hit a new low, although they didn't have to go far
    What are you referencing as their new low?

^^^^^
    gaga
    lulu

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    ^^^^^
    gaga
    lulu
    Metallica are getting rave reviews regarding their performance with Lady Gaga. Perhaps it wasn't for you.

The eons are closing
    There are those who still believe Alcoholica died with Cliffy, much like those who believe KC died after ITCOTCK.

That being said, it may be the most I enjoyed Metallica in over a decade. [emoji106]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

View this now, it'll come down soon. This is the rehearsal. Please note that James mic works in this one

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post

That was awesome. Mark Guiliana is a fantastic drummer. I would love to hear an album-length treatment of stuff like this.

Lang Lang joined them again a month and a half ago in China-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    View this now, it'll come down soon. This is the rehearsal. Please note that James mic works in this one
    Thanks! I didn't see the Grannies and have been curious about the performance. I know this is a rehearsal but this kicked ass. Gaga was great, could've lived without the Solid Gold Dancers, and the band sounds killer. I guess I'm gonna have to write a song to get me nominated so I can have more of these kinds of cultural experiences. The ass on that woman.

Metallica with Iggy Pop-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973