Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgotten jazz rock album

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Another great jazz rock unknown. British; by members of East of Eden, Mike Westbrook etc...

whollllley fuck!!!!... mly library system still has the vinyl (great sample)

Gotta repair the bloody turntable!!!

And they've got all the Urbaniak vinyls too.

The Catalyst anthologies are on order
    Last edited by Trane; 02-01-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    The Friends album is awesome. Sort of America's equivalent of Xhol Caravan. I have the LP, but it would be nice to see a CD reissue of this one at some point as well.
    Drat. I've been really enjoying the youtube clip above, and just put "friends" on my wishlist. Sorry it is not out on CD...

Agree with Spyros (as I usually do), the Major Surgery is a great find. Be sure to pick up the new legit CD on Proper!

More info here from my blog: http://unencumberedmusicreviews.blog...7-england.html

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Here's a good, mostly forgotten one: Don Cherry's Hear & Now. All kinds of crazy stuff going on with this album.
    Hear & Now is OK, but Brown Rice is his masterpiece IMO.

And for crying out loud, when is someone going to reissue Good God's 1972 s/t album? They even do Zappa's "King Kong" and John McLaughlin's "Dragon Song"! Here's the opening track:

Last edited by no.nine; 02-02-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Thanks for posting the Good God piece. I was completely unfamiliar with them but enjoyed the clip enough to buy a used copy on Amazon. The track you posted had a certain Lifetime/Larry Coryell thing to it that I really liked. It's a wonderful feeling to be a fan/collector for nearly 40 years and still be discovering music from the past or from other countries.

some euro stuff like psi, turning point

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Thanks for posting the Good God piece. I was completely unfamiliar with them but enjoyed the clip enough to buy a used copy on Amazon. The track you posted had a certain Lifetime/Larry Coryell thing to it that I really liked. It's a wonderful feeling to be a fan/collector for nearly 40 years and still be discovering music from the past or from other countries.
    You're welcome!

I wasn't sure there'd be anyone here who didn't know of them, but they've always seemed to be just under the radar enough that I figured it was worth a shot. I think you'll probably enjoy the album; it's pretty solid. Only the last track is a little on the weak side, but that's only compared to the rest of the album. And it's only my opinion anyway; you may find it a great closer. It's certainly not even close to hurting the album. BTW, these guys were from Philadelphia if I'm not mistaken.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post

And for crying out loud, when is someone going to reissue Good God's 1972 s/t album?
    I have owned and enjoyed that album for over 40 years, but a label would have to have a death wish to reissue that one.

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post

BTW, these guys were from Philadelphia if I'm not mistaken.?
    They were and I heard from someone who saw them that they were much better than that very good album would make you think.

BTW:
    Cotton Kent (keyboardist & composer of some pieces) later became a bit known as a blues pianist.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I have owned and enjoyed that album for over 40 years, but a label would have to have a death wish to reissue that one.
    Ha! I bet you're right.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Love the Szobel , love this thread, and love late 60s/early 70s jazz-rock.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

EGBA
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Keep 'em coming, folks! This is my new favorite thread.

That Friends album....pretty interesting, for 1969--I hear some progressions in one tune that sound like Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff. Also interesting to read of Marc Copland's early incarnation on electric sax!

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    It went OT pretty fast, though.

Started as a thread about a specific Hermann Szobel album, it seems to have turned into a thread about forgotten jazz rock albums in general.
    I wonder how many of those posting here actually read the original post.

Never mind, it could be a nice thread anyway.
    Threads are often like a good improvised solo; you never know where they're going to go.

From '76:

Some feral jazz rock from Michal Urbaniak before he left his native land. The beat drops at about 50 seconds into the piece.

I remember seeing that Friends album many years ago on record...on Caroline Records, the same label that put out things like 'Camembert Electrique' over here. It was a 70s issue...never got it but I remember it and always wondered what it was. I knew John Abercrombie from the 'Timeless' album.

From the Compendium label here in Norway - 1976:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I vaguely pursued reissuing the Friends album a long time ago, but was warned off by someone who either was on the album or played with him now, that Marc Cohen/Copland would not be interested.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

That Vanessa is killer!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Keep 'em coming, folks! This is my new favorite thread.

That Friends album....pretty interesting, for 1969--I hear some progressions in one tune that sound like Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff. Also interesting to read of Marc Copland's early incarnation on electric sax!
    One point of clarification here: The Friends album is from 1973 (on Oblivion and reissued in 1975 on Caroline in the UK), so the Mahavishnu reference is probably more in line with the times. And you're right about the electric sax - that's what made me think of Xhol Caravan.

On a general note regarding this thread: The obscure jazz rock / fusion waters are deep. I could probably name one a day and keep this thread up for months. Just Germany alone would blow your mind, and most of them are not on CD! And the ones that are - they're obscure too! For me, it's exciting to know there's a lot of great music like this out there still to be discovered.

For me, it's exciting to know there's a lot of great music like this out there still to be discovered.
    yup... just when I thought my want list was trimming down to size, a thread like this pops up!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

One point of clarification here: The Friends album is from 1973 (on Oblivion and reissued in 1975 on Caroline in the UK), so the Mahavishnu reference is probably more in line with the times. And you're right about the electric sax - that's what made me think of Xhol Caravan.

On a general note regarding this thread: The obscure jazz rock / fusion waters are deep. I could probably name one a day and keep this thread up for months. Just Germany alone would blow your mind, and most of them are not on CD! And the ones that are - they're obscure too! For me, it's exciting to know there's a lot of great music like this out there still to be discovered.
    Let em rip Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Let em rip Tom!
    I second that motion.
    Names, man...we need NAMES!

On a general note regarding this thread: The obscure jazz rock / fusion waters are deep. I could probably name one a day and keep this thread up for months. Just Germany alone would blow your mind, and most of them are not on CD!
    True. Just to second Tom's opinion:

Exil (Germany)

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

If memory serves,Cozy first posted about this band a while ago.From Argentina.Jazz Band de Free.The record is "Ego".Pretty good stuff.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Me and Nosebone have posted clips from this band in other threads, but it seems fitting to post this here.From The Netherlands,two keyboard players and a drummer.The band/cd is The Keyboard Circle-1976.The cd is available.I dig.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide