Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember Audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    But Lindisfarne did have a top 40 hit, albeit belatedly, in the States, which is more than VdGG ever managed:
    They did? Wow. Never would have guessed. I would guess that if we looked at the U.S. top 40 lists from the last couple decades, there are probably a lot of one-hit wonders in the lower halves of those charts whose names few will know or remember and could never actually draw anyone if they decided to tour today. That's where I would think Lindisfarne falls.

All I'm saying is that I (like probably most of us) get into a lot of music conversations with a lot of different people at different times (being a travelling professional musician has stepped that up for me!). I always bring up VdGG (my fave band) and a lot of people know who they are (many don't, but one would be surprised at how well known they are for being a British underground avant band). That may have to do with us getting all the British rock mags here in the States at Barnes & Noble and other outlets, and Hammill/VdGG getting good coverage in all the major British rags (and being part of the 'prog' scene, which is having a resurgence; Lindisfarne isn't categorized as part of any scene as such). Where VdGG could tour the States playing clubs and small theaters for anywhere from a couple hundred people to a thousand (in NYC and L.A. if they could ever get there, and bigger crowds in parts of Canada) a night, Lindisfarne would garner no interest and not be able to do it. Maybe I'm wrong about that. It's just that no one I've talked to knows who they are, and I love talking about the Six Bob tour and how bewildering it is that Genesis opened for VdGG at one point in time (people will be hugely surprised by that, and also not have known who Lindisfarne is when I bring them up in that context.... but I acknowledge that that's hardly scientific proof of their obscurity here I guess!!).

I have HOTH and Lunch and enjoy them both the same, although the actual song "House On The Hill" is one of those songs that may sound dated now but you still have to appreciate the dark, moody vibe (which are characteristics I love in music, but then as a pH nutbar...). I didn't know they played ain Southern Ontario in recent years. If I had only known....
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Lino
    More than once gryphs. When I went to that show, I was told by somebody I was chatting with that they had played there a few years prior as well. These guys were real pros, and put on a fantastic show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    More than once gryphs. When I went to that show, I was told by somebody I was chatting with that they had played there a few years prior as well. These guys were real pros, and put on a fantastic show.
    The live album from that period is atrocious... and their latest studio album (Gnosis) only had the opening track that was good... the rest was/is best forgotten
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    But Lindisfarne did have a top 40 hit, albeit belatedly, in the States, which is more than VdGG ever managed:
    True-- but at least Hammill sang on a Top 20 hit, "Shock the Monkey." (Then again. one of Lindisfarne played on "Maggie May").

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The live album from that period is atrocious...
    that's probably a big reason why i've not traditionally been a fan of live albums. (though there are some that I consider to be phenominal). Seeing a band live is the ultimate music experience, imo. Each show is a fleeting one time event that can never be re-captured. So many things contribute to a great live show...and it might not necessarily be that the band was playing at it's best. Sometimes a band gets exposed in the live setting...and it's still a great show. Sometimes bands play great and are tioght, but it's not as great a show. I haven't heard the live album, but i do know a good show when I see one, and this was one for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The live album from that period is atrocious... and their latest studio album (Gnosis) only had the opening track that was good... the rest was/is best forgotten
    I don't agree with your assessment of 'Gnosis,' but I think you are thinking of Gnidrolog, not Audience.

I thought the Audience live album was pretty cool. It could've been better, but it wasn't bad.

Friends Friends Friend BTW would also get my vote as the best Audience album overall. "Raid" and "Priestess" are the shit! More sax and flute solos please!

HotH was right up there with it though.

Lunch isn't getting the love, this is a great tune from the lp.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't agree with your assessment of 'Gnosis,' but I think you are thinking of Gnidrolog, not Audience.

You're absolutely right about Gnosis being Gnidrolog... my shameful bad
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I do like 'Gnosis', Gnidlorog's comeback album. Not as good as their early albums, but quite alright. One of those CD's that would have been very good if kept to about 40 minutes worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ceuyoyi View Post
    I do like 'Gnosis', Gnidlorog's comeback album. Not as good as their early albums, but quite alright. One of those CD's that would have been very good if kept to about 40 minutes worth.
    Pardon the hopefully brief thread hijack...I started listening to 'Gnosis' very late one night and made it about 3/4 of the way through before calling it a night. I haven't pulled it out again yet, but...I thought it was good apart from one or two "Music Hall" style numbers, if memory serves.

Oh yeahhh, I remember Audience.. "The House On the Hill" is what I was searching for and my search brought me here. How cool is that?

It would be great to be able to hear that classic tune again, but alas, I can't find it to stream it anywhere... the 'original' classic version from the 1971 album.

If anyone cares to post an mp3, I'd appreciate the listen.
    Thanks
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Oh yeahhh, I remember Audience.. "The House On the Hill" is what I was searching for and my search brought me here. How cool is that?

It would be great to be able to hear that classic tune again, but alas, I can't find it to stream it anywhere... the 'original' classic version from the 1971 album.

Thanks
    Glenn
    You weren't looking hard enough. One second on youtube and here it is...

Lino
    Welcome to PE Glenn, good to see another Ontarian in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Thanks
    Glenn

Audience's first album, self-titled, was recorded before FFF an before Charisma, and it includes a different version of House on the Hill.

I love House on the Hill to death. Fantastic album. My take on Lunch is that there's one totally gold track, "Stand by the Door," that ranks right up with the best on House, but the rest of the album is kind of meh. Not bad, but not so memorable.

Got to put a plug in for Howard Werth's solo album, "King Brilliant," which came out on Rocket in 1975 (more Elton connection: Gus Dudgeon produced it and some of the Blue Moves band appear). Even more straightforward and song-oriented than Lunch but quite good overall. Loved the album more when I figured out the title!

Here's a nice track from it, probablty the most ambitious one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvpojddRA0E

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

It doesn't look like anyone has posted it, but Keith Gemmell, the great sax/flute man from Audience, passed away about two weeks ago. RIP

I'm sorry to read this. As with the Rare Bird albums on Charisma, I think 'House On The Hill' is a period classic which has unfairly slipped through the cracks...and Gemmell's work on things like 'Jackdaw' and the title track is a major part of its appeal.

As an aside, I'm surprised 'You're Not Smiling' wasn't a hit. Bizarrely, a few months ago I read that a single release was reissued in 1973 under Howard Werth's name, with Audience essentially listed as a back-up band:

https://www.45cat.com/record/cb204

RIP to Keith.

Thanks for spreading a little happiness while you were here, Keith.

Curiously, I don't see a mention of the fact that Howard Werth was seriously considered to replace Jim Morrison as lead singer of he Doors after Morrison's death, to the point that the rest of the band moved to England and for a while practiced together with Werth on vocals, but one of the members suddenly wanted to go back to the US and the project was abandoned. Later, though, Krieger and Densmore did form The Butts Band with another British singer -Jess Roden- on vocals.

RIP. He was also quite good with Stackridge.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    Curiously, I don't see a mention of the fact that Howard Werth was seriously considered to replace Jim Morrison as lead singer of he Doors after Morrison's death
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Evidently, Howard Werth was considered to replace Jimbo in The Doors.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes