Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis - Seconds Out

Genesis - Seconds Out

You know what burns me about this record? Afterglow is the only track from Wind and Wuthering. Are freaking kiddin' me?? That's why I prefer boots from this
    tour instead. Although, Robbery is pretty killer.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    You know what burns me about this record? Afterglow is the only track from Wind and Wuthering. Are freaking kiddin' me?? That's why I prefer boots from this tour instead. Although, Robbery is pretty killer.
    This is a pretty common problem with live albums - usually tracks from the latest studio release are avoided in order to get people to buy it.

Thankfully there are exceptions, like "Yessongs" (which had the entire "Close To The Edge" - albeit played with a different drummer, so quite different) or "Welcome Back My Friends" (which had the entire "Brain Salad Surgery", save for - thankfully - "Benny The Bouncer").

Other examples include Camel's "A Live Record" and Caravan's "New Symphonia" - for these the (im)balance was redressed with the augmented reissues, which restored much of the material from, respectively, "Rain Dances" and "For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night", from those setlists.

Of course, an augmented "Seconds Out" with the full 1977 setlist, and even better, a full show from the 1976 tour thrown in as well, would have been much appreciated, even necessary...
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

There are SO many FM's and Soundboards from both 76 and 77 that this release has always been totally inconsequential to me

Not some of their better performances as far as the 77 tour IMO, and poor track choices

How do you exclude "Inside and Out"?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Still one of my all time favorite live albums. Had a HUGE influence on me as a teen learning to play drums and it stands the test of time to this day. Love it!
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

The version of "Supper's Ready" on Seconds Out is pretty great.

^^^
    What Splicer and Polska said! Love Afterglow. Beautiful melody!

Taking into consideration the poor mix, the songs that were not included & Hackett barely audible I only rate it 4/10. A spoilt & missed opportunity!

My first Genesis album and still a favorite.

Steve Sly

I don't listen to live albums much. Never even got this on cd. Saw them on this tour though and they were great. But I agree-to exclude 'One For The Vine'? That's kind of their magnum opus as a 'quartet', and a real highlight of that tour. 'Firth of Fifth' is awesome though, and I'm glad they threw in 'Cinema Show', even without the beautiful little flute and oboe moments. But I also didn't like the fact that they would play 'You're Own Special Way' on that tour and not 'Blood On The Rooftops', but that's neither here nor there, as Tony would say.

I've heard it and though it's quite good, I never bought it. Aside from the drumming, they didn't deviate much from the studio versions of the tunes and I like to hear something different on live albums; I'm funny that way.

I got Yessongs before I ever heard The Yes Album, CttE or Fragile and I got hooked on the live versions of the tunes. It probably would've been the same for me if I'd heard Seconds Out first, but it didn't happen that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Still one of my all time favorite live albums. Had a HUGE influence on me as a teen learning to play drums and it stands the test of time to this day. Love it!
    This!!! (though I loved the drums, they never gave me the envy to be a drummer...

nd I'm happy it features a lot of ToTT and much fewer of W&W
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would have preferred the hear only ToTT and W&W exclusively and let Peter's legacy cover the authentic origins of the band. I don't way to hear Gabriel sing Invisible Touch either. I would have liked them to have also included Spot The Pigeon.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I would have preferred the hear only ToTT and W&W exclusively and let Peter's legacy cover the authentic origins of the band. I don't way to hear Gabriel sing Invisible Touch either. I would have liked them to have also included Spot The Pigeon.
    No way dude... I love the Gabe-era tracks done with Collins...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One of *the* great live albums for me. These were the first versions I heard of most of the songs on here. IMHO the novelty of having Phil Collins singing the PG-era material alone makes it different enough from the studio versions, and of the Phil-era songs, 'Robbery Assault And Battery' and 'Afterglow' are better than the studio versions IMHO. Yes, more from these would have been nice, but what would you cut? Bear in mind that 'The Musical Box' aside, nothing else from the earlier albums on here had been on a live album before.

I've also really gotten into 'Three Sides Live' over the last year or so, I never really listened to that one much before.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    There are SO many FM's and Soundboards from both 76 and 77 that this release has always been totally inconsequential to me

Not some of their better performances as far as the 77 tour IMO, and poor track choices

How do you exclude "Inside and Out"?

BG
    I'd have to agree with this for the most part. Seconds Out suffers from the problem of many of those live albums originally released in the pre-CD days: picking and sequencing songs based on what can fit an LP side. The 'standalone' version of Afterglow without the original segue-way of ...In That Quiet Earth > Afterglow always sounds strange to me now. And all those W&W songs (and Inside & Out) that were played live on the '77 tour that were excluded as already mentioned.

But back in the day it WAS one of my favorite live records. The day i got to meet Chester Thompson i made sure to bring the vinyl record sleeve that has the song listings and the behind the drum sets--from in back of the band--photo, so he could sign that for me as you can actually see him in that picture.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Almost indifferent to this. Much prefer the classic Genesis staff, with Collins on drums, and PG doing vocals.

Banned
    Loved this thing! Played it to death back in the day. It certainly wasn't my first Genesis album (Trespass was), but it really put some ooomph into their Gabriel era stuff, which I really liked. Losing the whole theatrical costumy thing allowed the band to loosen up and "rock" as it were. It was also my first time seeing them in concert (Fox Theater Atlanta 1977). Of course I do agree about some glaring omissions, but there are several boots that satisfy that need. Supper's Ready is sublime.

What I like about the "Supper's Ready" on Seconds Out is the slower tempo at the end which, I think, lends it a much grander finale.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Well I think if they did that many fans would be upset and would shout for 'Firth of Fifth' or 'Suppers Ready'. Still, I agree that I don't care much for Phil's voice doing vocal heavy songs like 'Carpet Crawlers' or 'The Lamb Lies Down...' on this tour. To me, those songs aren't the same without Peter. But tracks like Firth are, to me, more about the music anyway and the vocals are more forgivable. Somehow though I love Phil's voice in 'One For The Vine', but for the most part I listen to that era for the music, not the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Taking into consideration the poor mix, the songs that were not included & Hackett barely audible I only rate it 4/10. A spoilt & missed opportunity!
    Hackett might be low at times, but if you consider Seconds Out a "poor mix," you face one of two issues:

1. You need a new stereo.
    2. You need new ears.

There is no third possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Hackett might be low at times, but if you consider Seconds Out a "poor mix," you face one of two issues:

1. You need a new stereo.
    2. You need new ears.
    Jeff, from where I sit, Hackett being "low at times" = poor mix, no?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Jeff, from where I sit, Hackett being "low at times" = poor mix, no?

BG
    I disagree. That's an artistic decision. But the comment mentioned Hackett being low in addition to it being a poor mix.

SO is one of the most powerful sounding live albums in progressive rock's history. The bass pedals, the dynamics, the feel of being right in front of the stage ... there is just no way I can view this mix as anything less than very good.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    That's an artistic decision.
    It was a spiteful decision, wasn't it, because of Steve being unhappy with the group situation?

Wasn't there some discussion of this in the Gallo book?

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    No way dude... I love the Gabe-era tracks done with Collins...
    Same. I like them better than the Gabriel versions. Flame away if you like but that's the way I feel. Never understood the dislike for W&W. Next to Seconds Out it is my favorite Genesis album. All IMHO of course.

To one of the posters above, one for the vine from that tour is on 3 sides live I believe.