Thread: Museo Rosenbach's Zarathustra (LP)

Museo Rosenbach's Zarathustra (LP)

I had an occasion to hear an vinyl rip of this last night and was floored

I'm an MP-3 convert and rarely if ever pull out CD's but the difference in dynamic range vs my CD was stark, and eye opening

It honestly was like hearing it for the first time, and this is one I've always felt was a tad over rated and I'm thinking this may change my mind

My disc is on the "Crime" label - all the life being sucked out of the recording on it is more like a felony

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Did you hear the original on Ricordi or later presses like King (Japan 1982 and 1987) or Contempo (1990)? I have the original and the first Japanese press, but never A/B'd them to see the difference.

I had a similar reaction when I obtained an original of Capsicum Red. I never thought much of that album before, and the CDs contributed to that. Now I think it's quite good!

I think the "Crime" disc sounds fantastic.

Never heard the original vinyl but that CD is the best of the many CD versions I've heard.

Overall, I do agree with general point, however. And especially as it relates to Italian prog. For example, most all of those old Fonit CDs were just BUTCHERED with no-noise and weird, tinny EQ. Hearing some of those albums on vinyl is like they aren't even the same recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I think the "Crime" disc sounds fantastic.
    That rules!

I have always enjoyed your perspective Jeff, (except when the Giants were winning the NL pennant a couple of years back)

Jeff, I would have said it was a perfectly good CD had I not heard the vinyl rip - there was much more contrast between the quiet and louder sections and it sounded very different to me, in a good way.

The (nursery) Crime CD was the only version I'd heard previously

Spinning Tormato now, will revisit the vinyl rip again after some dinner and walk with the pooches and see if it still hits me that hard

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    That rules!

I have always enjoyed your perspective Jeff, (except when the Giants were winning the NL pennant a couple of years back)

Jeff, I would have said it was a perfectly good CD had I not heard the vinyl rip - there was much more contrast between the quiet and louder sections and it sounded very different to me, in a good way.

The (nursery) Crime CD was the only version I'd heard previously

Spinning Tormato now, will revisit the vinyl rip again after some dinner and walk with the pooches and see if it still hits me that hard

BG
    I think you'd need to clarify what pressing it is.

First of all, if somebody ripped the original vinyl, I would love to hear it. I have the Japanese LP on King and it sounds great. Quite similar to the King (Crime) CD. But I'd love to hear the original.

The Contempo CD is also good but a little bright for me. I wonder if the Contempo reissue LP sounds similar?

All CD and LP versions since about mid 90s have just gone downhill, IMO.

If anyone wants to skip a few mortgage payments, you can hear what the original sounds like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSEO-ROSENB...item27ddd5590e

I've been trying to find a Japanese pressing at a decent price for a while now, but no such luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I had a similar reaction when I obtained an original of Capsicum Red. I never thought much of that album before, and the CDs contributed to that. Now I think it's quite good!
    I'm assuming the Vinyl Magic LP is just the CD mix on wax. Can anyone clarify? Other than the cover being pretty classic looking when I was first getting into prog, I can't say this has ever done much for me either, but I'm curious now.

The version I have on cd is a Korean label Hae Dong from 1993. I see on the back it says licensed from King Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I've been trying to find a Japanese pressing at a decent price for a while now, but no such luck.
    You'll probably have a bit more luck finding the '87 press, but unfortunately it's a single sleeve. That was my first copy that I bought from Wayside a long time ago - probably 1988 or so. I was fortunate to get the original and first Japanese press since then (both obtained in the 1990s).

Not sure of the Capsicum Italian reissue LP - but I'm sure you are right that it's the same as the Italian CD. I also own the Japanese mini-LP of it, and while I love the packaging, it just was so far off the original LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    If anyone wants to skip a few mortgage payments, you can hear what the original sounds like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSEO-ROSENB...item27ddd5590e

That Seven Seas one for $119.99 is a good one. I had one but sold it a few years ago.