Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good news and bad news about Toto

Good news and bad news about Toto

http://www.totoofficial.com/news/199103

Good news: Toto's coming out with a new album, and considering Falling In Between (2006) was pretty special, I'm very excited.

Bad news: Simon Phillips is leaving the band. I suppose it won't really matter THAT much, but Phillips is a tough act to follow.

Luke has certainly changed his tone:

" I am also so excited about the future of Toto. So many things we have been trying to do have now all come true. A real USA tour, a new album of some killer new material, a new live DVD, and a World Tour to follow over the next two years. These are exciting times for myself and the band."
    What was it, only five years ago when he said this?

“The fact is yes I have left Toto. There is no more Toto… Honestly I have just had enough. This is NOT a break. It is over. I really cant go out and play Hold the Line with a straight face anymore. I was 19 when we cut the record. I am 50 now."
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 01-25-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Good news: Toto broke up

Bad news: Toto reformed

OK, I'm outta here
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can't wait to listen to this and gyrate my hips slowly with my eyes closed in appreciation while holding a tom collins glass in one hand.

Man, the snark. I still hold Falling In Between was really good.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    http://www.totoofficial.com/news/199103

Good news: Toto's coming out with a new album, and considering Falling In Between (2006) was pretty special, I'm very excited.

Bad news: Simon Phillips is leaving the band. I suppose it won't really matter THAT much, but Phillips is a tough act to follow.
    Simon Phillips is a great drummer, but his replacement for Toto, Keith Carlock is no slouch by anybody's standards. He's been touring with Steely Dan and he's the drummer of choice for jazz-fusion guitar players like Wayne Krantz and Oz Noy.

I'm glad they're giving it another go; naysayers be damned. I saw them live about 6 or 7 years ago and though they're not one of my top favorite bands, they're one of the best live rock bands I've ever heard.
    Last edited by No Pride; 01-25-2014 at 12:53 PM.

I'm just joking - glad they found their way to doing another album for their fans.

Banned

It looks just like a Telefunken u47... you'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

OK, I'm outta here
    Again we see MUSIC causing BIG TROUBLE!

No opinion either way about Toto, but that made me chuckle .

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    No opinion either way about Toto, but that made me chuckle .
    Nothing else meant...

Though outside Hold The Line (which did "get me going"), I never understood their success with progheads... it's so bloody commercially mainstream
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Okay. Someone sell me on Toto, in general. I find songs like "Rosanna" and "Africa" to be pleasant. I did really like "Stranger In Town" and came close to buying that one. Best album? Worst album?

Library Jon

Though outside Hold The Line (which did "get me going"), I never understood their success with progheads... it's so bloody commercially mainstream
    I like Hold The Line and that's it. I think the appeal among "proggers" or musicians is probably similar to the reason so many "proggers" and musicians like Steely Dan (which I love, love, LOVE, by the way). They're great musicians playing accessible, well crafted pop.

I think one of the reasons Toto is still a going concern, besides the fact they still or again are having fun playing, is that it enables them to financially support Mike Porcaro who is suffering from ALS.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like Hold The Line and that's it. I think the appeal among "proggers" or musicians is probably similar to the reason so many "proggers" and musicians like Steely Dan (which I love, love, LOVE, by the way). They're great musicians playing accessible, well crafted pop.
    I thought about mentionning SD, but then again, they're in a very different (and superior) category of "studio-rats" (no offence intended, I think they called themselves that) bands...

Jon Neudorf
    Nothing else meant...

I think what makes them popular with prog fans is the fact they are all wonderfully talented musicians. That and some of their music is quite proggy. "Falling In Between" being a prime example. It is an excellent album and I look forward to hearing what comes next.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I think what makes them popular with prog fans is the fact they are all wonderfully talented musicians. That and some of their music is quite proggy. "Falling In Between" being a prime example. It is an excellent album and I look forward to hearing what comes next.

Regards,
    Jon
    I can't say for their recent last two decades and more) output because I I somewhat paied very mild attention to Toto until their fourth album, then let it drop altogether .. I guess crap like Rosanna and the over-exposure of other crap hts finally got the better of my patience

I have no doubt about the guys excellent craftiness att their respective instruments, but it's the whole project that doesn't appeal to me (and their name don't help : Toto is the name of the kids' butt of joke in French)... I can understand the need of studio musicians to write their own tune, but the whole "studio group thing" never appealed to me (even SD started as a touring band, I believe), though Toto did start touring at some pôint and still does....

OK, I've pôlluted this thread more than long enough, now, thanks for the patience ... I'll be exiting

A band i could never get into!

A new Toto album! I knew I held onto that last Reggie bar and a bottle of Zima for a good reason!

I kid, I kid!

Banned
    Going back to the opening post, you have to look at what has changed in Toto. When Toto broke up a few years ago, Bobby Kimbal was their singer. Now, Joseph Williams is their singer.
    These are the songs that sold me on Toto.

Not so often that they mention the "P" word in their interviews:

"If there’s anything prog about it, it would be early-’70s prog a la Yes or Genesis."

This is regarding their new album

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve...nterview-2014/

Bad news: Toto's coming out with a new album
    Fixed that for ya

Quote Originally Posted by insidious meme View Post
    I enjoyed that interview, thanks! Luke is a character! Great guitar player too; one of my favorites within the rock realm.

Luke has certainly changed his tone:

What was it, only five years ago when he said
    Luke was frustrated that the band he was touring with really didn't have any members of Toto - Jeff P. has passed, Steve P. had moved on to different things, Paich had virtually retired it seems, the singer's spot was a revolving door, etc. But, they put together a tour to help Mike P. and they realized that they enjoyed playing together again. Makes sense to me.

It is. It's a fantastic album, IMO.

A lot of it is, and a lot of it is much more interesting than your average "mainstream."

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Okay. Someone sell me on Toto, in general. I find songs like "Rosanna" and "Africa" to be pleasant. I did really like "Stranger In Town" and came close to buying that one. Best album? Worst album?
    Library Jon
    Try this, from their most recent album:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    I think one of the reasons Toto is still a going concern, besides the fact they still or again are having fun playing, is that it enables them to financially support Mike Porcaro who is suffering from ALS.
    Yes. Very much agree.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Fixed that for ya
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

May 9th 2014
    Lukather: "I was channeling my inner Chris Squire (bass player Yes) today. I played bass on our huge epic tune 'Great Expectaions' today.
    A great week with Toto in studio."

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Fixed that for ya

That was mean, but it gave me a good chuckle......

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    May 9th 2014
    Lukather: "I was channeling my inner Chris Squire (bass player Yes) today. I played bass on our huge epic tune 'Great Expectaions' today.
    A great week with Toto in studio."
    Giggity.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally