Thread: 'retro' synth CDs?

'retro' synth CDs?

Wondering if there's a CD collection of music with a mix of old school keyboard sounds. ARPs, Moogs, Oberheims, etc. Maybe a compilation of some kind?
    Any clues?

Are you looking for music or just the sounds?

How about at least one of each?

Zombi does the retro synth quite well. Duo of drums and synths (with occasional bass).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZQ6CvTRoEw
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I would look for CDs from bands like Radio Massacre International, Redshift, Free System Projekt, Air Sculpture, Arc, Ramp ['ramp], Under the Dome, and Arcane for starters.

Go here and click on the Reviews section and have at it: http://www.synthmusicdirect.com/

Not sure if that's what you are looking for, but all are part of the retro Berlin School movement, which is primarily built on 70s Moogs, Mellotron, ARPs, and other synthesizers. Redshift is my personal favorite, but all the above are likely to satisfy that itch.

Jean Michel Jarre, in addition to the original great analog albums, has released a couple of more recent ones with all-analog synth lineups.

Steve Moore's cd on Cuneiform,Light Echoes is quite good. This may float yer boat.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Basically any of the early Klaus Schulze stuff
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Check out Kebu's album To Jupiter And Back and also his videos on Youtube.

Thelonius Moog, especially "Yes We Didn't" https://myspace.com/theloniousmoog/music/songs
    Check out Bye Ya and Ungly Beauty
    This first album is absolutely insane.

Synergy: Audion is also worth checking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB3RYcliRfQ

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Thelonius Moog, especially "Yes We Didn't"
    Seriously? I accidentally bought this (it was $2 at a used music store) and found it unlistenable. Schlock of the lowest rank. Utter crap.

UK's NODE debut album from 1995 is a strong recommendation.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    UK's NODE debut album from 1995 is a strong recommendation.
    And in case you didn't know: a new Node album is about to be released on Ian Boddy's DiN label.

I agree with Spyros, Node's debut is one of the best! And I did happen to see a new album coming out on DiN, which is probably the most exciting news coming out of the EM camp since RMI's last "real" album (not CD-R's) - and that's been a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I recommend Zombi and their respective side projects.
    The second Majeure (Paterra) album, Solar Maximum, is not to be missed.

Jeffrey Koepper has issued a slew of discs and he uses all that great analog gear like the OBXa, Xpander, Jupiter 6, Odyssey, 2600, MS-10, Synthex, Prodigy, Minimoog and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I would look for CDs from bands like Radio Massacre International, Redshift, Free System Projekt, Air Sculpture, Arc, Ramp ['ramp], Under the Dome, and Arcane for starters.

Go here and click on the Reviews section and have at it: http://www.synthmusicdirect.com/

Not sure if that's what you are looking for, but all are part of the retro Berlin School movement, which is primarily built on 70s Moogs, Mellotron, ARPs, and other synthesizers. Redshift is my personal favorite, but all the above are likely to satisfy that itch.
    I can recommend this webshop.

They kindly put together a package of 5 cds from different bands/styles/sounds for a very reasonable sampler price. Postage was quick and packaging secure. Six months on and I'm still enjoying them.

The catalogue might seem a bit overwhelming, and the reviews can be a bit repetitive in places, so why not contact the seller and see what he can do for you?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Seriously? I accidentally bought this (it was $2 at a used music store) and found it unlistenable. Schlock of the lowest rank. Utter crap.
    I find it very humoristic and well performed too. Its a 'sick' idea to play Thelonius Monk only on moogs in a grotesque circus-sort-of-way, and to any purist its probably heresie, but then again Tomitas Snowflakes are dancing also have qualities, even though its pretty synthetic in any way compared to the real thing.
    AND if you are looking for classical Moog sounds there are plenty here.

Amin Bhatia's Virtuality has a track called Bolero's Electronica which uses a mountain of synthesizers. From his web page,

Side B' features "Bolero Electronica" an innovative realization of Maurice Ravel’s well-known work performed using vintage synthesizers dating back as far as 75 years. Everything from the Theremin and the Ondes Martenot, through generations of Moog, Roland and Yamaha equipment to modern day software from Arturia and Spectrasonics are featured verse by verse, culminating in a musical and historical journey through time. Many of the rare instruments came from the Cantos Music Foundation Museum, as well as from personal collections of friends and colleagues worldwide.

Along with composer Amin Bhatia are Interviewed guests including Roland founder Ikutaro Kakehashi, Steve Porcaro, Patrick Moraz, Michelle Moog-Koussa as well as producers, engineers and musicians from "Virtuality."

Thelonius Moog, especially "Yes We Didn't"
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I find it very humoristic and well performed too. Its a 'sick' idea to play Thelonius Monk only on moogs in a grotesque circus-sort-of-way, and to any purist its probably heresie, but then again Tomitas Snowflakes are dancing also have qualities, even though its pretty synthetic in any way compared to the real thing.
    AND if you are looking for classical Moog sounds there are plenty here.
    A friend of mine, Steve Million is half of that duo. He's actually a jazz pianist (and as such, is a huge fan of Monk's music) and the other guy is the synth wizard. I like what they did with that unlikely combination, though I'll admit that their CDs aren't in heavy rotation at my "crib." I can understand how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd hardly consider it to be "crap." And Zeuhl has a point; Tomita took a lot of artistic liberties with the material he chose to record. But if you like "The Smithsonian Archive of Analog Synths," it's the shit!