Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bruford as a Jazzer; is he world class?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    "Incapable" is a strong word, but let's just say that if some people were going to put together a trio or quartet to play a bunch of 50s and 60s standards, Bill Bruford's name isn't coming up. Obviously not now, but not 10 years ago and not 20 years ago either. Bruford was a great drummer who did lots of things well, but being a straight up bop jazz drummer a la Shelly Manne isn't a strength of his.
    Well, no, but then again, the great bebop drummers wouldn't be considered to play jazz fusion or progressive rock, either. The are apples and oranges, not superior and inferior. What I am saying is that Bruford is probably the most prolific rock drummer out there, who actually played a variety of styles, to include jazz, big band, fusion, prog, rock, world music, and Lord knows what else. He is extremely well-regarded by some of the great jazzers in the world today, and is taken seriously by the jazz community.

Personally, I grow weary of the "who is better than who," "what is REAL prog/jazz/fusion" etc. If Bruford would put out an album of traditional jazz classics with the stellar musicians he has worked with over the decades, I have no doubt that (a) he would put his own spin on it; (b) it would be different, not someone's conception of "inferior," and (c) I, and many others would autobuy it simply because Bill Bruford is on the drums. The Wynton Marsalis's of the world be damned...
    Last edited by cavgator; 01-25-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    Well, no, but then again, the great bebop drummers wouldn't be considered to play jazz fusion or progressive rock, either.
    Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. Most haven't tried. Bruford has tried his hand at jazz, and we know what it sounds like - which is why so many people who replied to this thread aren't willing to automatically assume that he could do a great job with the straight-ahead stuff.

Like I pointed out, Tony Williams Rocks on a bunch of albums he's on... whether or not he's also considered a "bebop drummer" I wouldn't know since I'm not a Jazz fan but I know he's played Jazz style Drums as well as the Rock stuff he's done
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    pedestrian
    One word sums it up perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    While wideopenears is right in some cases, as you say, he is absolutely wrong here. Bill absolutely studied the jazz masters, from Americans like Max Roach, Art Blakey and Roy Haynes to Brits like Phil Seamen.

How well he could play traditional jazz might be up for discussion; but playing his interpretation of jazz, in all Earthworks incarnations, he was absolutely terrific, imo.
    I don't disagree with this, John, and I don't think it stands in contradiction to anything I've said previously. Bill doesn't swing like the traditional cats do, but that's ok with me. I couldn't imagine Bill on a pick-up gig, circa 1962, with anyone in the Blue Note stable, for example...but that's not a value judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I couldn't imagine Bill on a pick-up gig, circa 1962, with anyone in the Blue Note stable, for example...but that's not a value judgement.
    Ah, but maybe this is the point that bears repeating: A drummer like Bill Bruford couldn't have existed in 1962 because he's a synthesis of too many things that happened after that era had passed.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I don't disagree with that, either.
    Still, if you want "Jazz" as it's usually understood--I mean, Bop-derived, playin' standards/playin' the changes, swinging like a mofo, acoustic instrumental music, the stuff you'll find any night of the week at the Village Vanguard-Bill's not your guy.

I recognize that's a pretty tight definition of "jazz," but that's what most folks consider Jazz..that and the big band music of the Swing Era. I can't imagine Bill playing with Charles Gayle, either, for that matter, or with Sonny Sharrock.....

I don't disagree with that, either.
    Still, if you want "Jazz" as it's usually understood--I mean, Bop-derived, playin' standards/playin' the changes, swinging like a mofo, acoustic instrumental music, the stuff you'll find any night of the week at the Village Vanguard-Bill's not your guy.

I recognize that's a pretty tight definition of "jazz," but that's what most folks consider Jazz..that and the big band music of the Swing Era. I can't imagine Bill playing with Charles Gayle, either, for that matter, or with Sonny Sharrock.....
    My only point was that Bill was absolutely aware - a student, more to the point, of those guys, unlike some who really are totally unaware..
    Bets!
    John

Not just a student, but a guy who had great respect for the tradition, and who, in my view, is spot-on about his ability to play in certain styles.

But man, those Bruford records smoke! And I love Earthworks--esp. the earlies version, which I saw when the first album was released.

Frankly, thank god that not everyone plays post-bop Drums, eh?

Frankly, thank god that not everyone plays post-bop Drums, eh?
    Yeah. And there's enough sub-genres of jazz that don't call for that style anyway. Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether or not Bruford can play like DeJohnette or Elvin or Jeff Tain Watts, etc. He had his own thing that worked perfectly for the music he was playing with Bruford and Earthworks.

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Yeah, but he can't swing or play post-bop...epic fail!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I hope his thesis gets translated into English.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)