Thread: Grateful Dead - Playing in the Band(Live)

Grateful Dead - Playing in the Band(Live)

From The Grateful Dead Movie.....Just awed by this performance.....Really looking forward to seeing Bob Weir and Ratdog in Feb.....

Love that movie, and this is one of the best bits for sure...Eyes of the World is my fave bit, though.....

That's not even the full song. On the audio commentary it's implied that the unedited performance was an hour long, but it was only about a half hour. Either way, it was decided that it was too long to use in the film, so they cut it down to three segments, separating them with the interview bits. It's also the only song used from the 10/16/74 show (the film was shot over the course of five nights, with that one being the first). The full song can be found on the soundtrack album.

Here's the second set improvisation from 10/16/74:

And here's another great Playin' In The Band, from 6/16/74:

Fatoldbloke
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    From The Grateful Dead Movie.....Just awed by this performance.....Really looking forward to seeing Bob Weir and Ratdog in Feb.....
    The version of this song on the recent released Sunshine Daydream from 1972 is also brilliant.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Picked this old thread to post on because this morning on Sirius XM's Grateful Dead channel they were playing a live version of Playing in the Band - didn't catch the date - a decent jam ends, the vocals come in for a chorus or two, and then Donna Godchaux assaulted my ears and once again I was blown away by how truly awful she was. Holy goddamned Jesus Christ!!! She has to be the worst singer ever to be used for something where it wasn't at all meant to be funny. Jerry and co. completely compromised the band by using her, forget about friendship with Keith or whatever. I never know whether to laugh or turn it off. Joanne Worley doing the vocals for KC's Starless would work better.