Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miles Davis - Bootleg Series #3: Miles at Fillmore (March 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I wonder if the "Bootleg" series packaging style might be more profitable than the metal box and later book-style ones.
    I'm sure that's a big part of it. Plus, it doesn't over-promise anything sound-wise. I thought the sound on Vol. 2 was perfectly acceptable, but some people are less forgiving about that sort of thing.

There's plenty of electric-era Miles audio available from radio broadcasts etc., so it will be interesting to see how far Sony goes with this series. They haven't exactly rushed out this series, so far.

I wish the Coltrane estate would get in gear and release more of the tapes that John kept for himself. I don't believe there's much unreleased studio stuff left, but he had plenty of live recordings, from what I understand. Unfortunately, Impulse! Records has been going in the wrong direction lately with his catalogs--reverting from the expanded editions released in the '90s to re-releases of the old '60s and '70s versions of his catalog.

thanks for the tip - ! got my UK order in...

yes, thanks for the tip

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Here's info about the bonus material:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/miles-...150500913.html
    Bonus tracks (Fillmore West, April 11, 1970):7. Paraphernalia * 8. Footprints.
    Bonus tracks (Fillmore West, April 11, 1970):8. Miles Runs The Voodoo Down.
    The bonus tracks are from the day after the shows where Black Beauty was recorded.

It's been announced that the material has been remixed. Hmm. I can't see anything bootleggy about this release.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    It's been announced that the material has been remixed. Hmm. I can't see anything bootleggy about this release.
    Nor ere the other two. It' sustain a name that Legacy has been using for years with others, most notably Bob Dylan. A brand, if you will, as the quality has been uniform sky impeccable.

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/l...illmore-album/

Check out Spanish Key.Outstanding.Can't wait for the whole thing to arrive.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Thanks for the heads-up - looking forward to this set! The amazon pre-order price is nice, too (and amazon.de isn't far behind with 23.99 EUR).

Ordered. Figured I'd pre-order the new Peter Hammill/Gary Lucas album as well.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    A friend hipped me that Amazon UK has this for pre order at an incredible price.16.50 pounds which is about $27!!!!
    Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

You saved £0.27 with Amazon.co.uk's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you our lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Miles at The Fillmore: Miles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3
    Price on order date: £16.09
    Price charged at dispatch: £15.82
    Lowest price up to and including release date: £15.82
    Quantity: 1
    Total Savings: £0.27

£0.27 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.
    Bonus!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

But seriously, these shows were released as "Wednesday Miles," "Thursday Miles," "Friday Miles" and "Saturday Miles" on Miles Davis At The Fillmore. How much more is there? If the unedited shows are anything like the Jack Johnson and Bitches Brew sessions, all I can say is Teo Macero is a genius with a razor blade.
    They were significantly edited down from full sets than ranged anywhere from 46 to 57 minutes. You can read my review of the new box (posted a few days ago separately) here.

My point is that this new (wonderful) release does not supplant the original release, as Macero's collage work was excellent, as ever, but it is now also possible to hear the full sets in all their intense glory. A rare occasion where a new release does not make the original obsolete. I can see myself listening to both, depending on the mood.

This is also different from both BB and JJ, which were studio sessions where they went in over a course of months, jammed to tape, and then handed over to Teo. Here, they were relatively concise sets, also handed over, but a lot less material; four 46-to-57 minute sets edited into four 22-to-26-minute sides on vinyl. Yes, Teo is a master, but this is a little different than constructing JJ from a much larger set of source material.
    Last edited by jkelman; 03-26-2014 at 12:47 PM.

I've said this before, but even with shipping, amazon uk is almost always cheaper than the other amazons, but especially com, as unless you live in the us, shipping is outrageous. Why, for example, do marketplace vendors charge over $14 to ship to canada, when from the uk is is £3 (about $5)! I know postal rates went up this year, but this is ridiculous. I now only buy from com if there is no other choice...and there almost always is....

On the one hand , Amazon UK's preorder price was cheaper, so I'm saving a fair bit over the US preorder price, on the other hand , as an Amazon Prime customer I'd either already have it in my possession or it'd be on my porch when I got home today if I'd ordered it from Amazon.com, but on the other hand , I realized a couple of days ago that I already had boots of June 17-19th that I could listen to, but on the other hand I didn't want to spoil the fun when Vol. 3 arrived, but on the other hand my order only just changed to "dispatched" within the last 2 hours...

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/l...illmore-album/

Check out Spanish Key.Outstanding.Can't wait for the whole thing to arrive.
    Just listened and it does sound great! Anybody know the lineup? Thought I heard two electric pianos; Chick and Keith Jarrett? Was that Liebman playing tenor? DeJohnette and Dave Holland? Airto? Just guessing here, help me out!

Jarrett is there for the Fillmore East tracks, not for the Fillmore West ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Jarrett is there for the Fillmore East tracks, not for the Fillmore West ones.
    Keerect, as my review identifies

At FE it is Jarret & Corea, with Steve Grossman on sax (Lieb joined later, for On the Corner). Yes, DH, JDJ and Airto.

If you missed it, my review is here.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Keerect, as my review identifies

At FE it is Jarret & Corea, with Steve Grossman on sax (Lieb joined later, for On the Corner). Yes, DH, JDJ and Airto.

If you missed it, my review is here.
    Oops! And... thanks!

I actually saw that band (with Jarrett and Corea) at The Auditorium Theater in Chicago. I didn't know who the sax player was at the time, but what do you want; I was still a teenager! It'd be great to "re-live" that moment in time!

Hot damn.It arrived today from Amazon UK.

Can't wait to dive in.

$35.00 shipped at popmarket today

Hot damn.It arrived today from Amazon UK.

Can't wait to dive in.
    Cool!

Maybe that means that mine is due to arrrive soon (I'm also in NY). I've been getting jealous of all the other people who have been enjoying this for several days now.

mine just arrived as well.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It's fantastic. Spanish Key is my favorite track so far. Damn it's smooth.

I am more and more impressed with the choices that Teo Macero made when he edited the tapes for the initial lp release.

I am basing that opinion on the one cd i've played so far, cd 4,Saturday's show.I didn't think The Mask was an outstanding performance on Saturday, not bad, just not particularly noteworthy, imo.Teo left The Mask off the lp iteration and i have no problem with his judgment.So far.

Sound is spectacular(i always thought the lp sounded great).I'll play Friday night's show next.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    My brick & mortar store finally had this in stock today (after about two weeks of saying they did with nothing actually there). I look forward to actually hearing it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I've been listening to it since yesterday when I picked it up.
    I also went back and listened to the Live at the Fillmore East (It's About that time) and Live at the Fillmore West.

Teo did a great job. But I'm psyched to have the whole thing, and remixed as well....

Man, Dave Holland sounds great on Electric Bass. And I know Jarrett hates electric keys, but I love him on the electric piano.