Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glass Hammer "Ode To Echo"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Is the song Cool Air on iTunes on this album?
    It's not, for now that remains a stand-alone tune (and part of the Musea/SyNphonic Lovecraft compilation, which is well worth getting!) I would think of that as the end of the last era and this album as the beginning of the next...

I have always thought that Carl was the perfect fit for GH... And where's that old hyperbole of yore?

Given that Carl is the primary writer for Salem Hill, did he contribute material for this album or is he 'just' the singer?

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Given that Carl is the primary writer for Salem Hill, did he contribute material for this album or is he 'just' the singer?
    He contributed with lyrics and melodies, but Steve, Kamaran Alan and I wrote the music. And don't worry, the hyperbole is coming

great news! not only am I thrilled to see that a new album is coming our way, it makes it that much better knowing Susie and Michelle will be on it. love the violin too. David's awesome.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Really happy to see Suzie back in the fold, at least for the CD. Was there some comment somewhere about Walter Moore? I cannot recall. All the GH releases are high points for me.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    And don't worry, the hyperbole is coming
    I thought that was Ken Golden's job. :-) One of his catalogs described a CD as having "production so epic, it makes Glass Hammer sound like they record in a cracker box." Or something like that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I thought that was Ken Golden's job. :-) One of his catalogs described a CD as having "production so epic, it makes Glass Hammer sound like they record in a cracker box." Or something like that.
    If that's true, maybe Glass Hammer should work with Trevor Horn or Roy Thomas Baker on their next CD.

What a lovely little snippet. I'l definitely check this album out.

http://www.progrockmusictalk.com/201...e-to-echo.html

Glass Hammer are preparing to release their 14th studio album Ode To Echo – and leading light Steve Babb has told Prog the material focuses on “some very dark ideas.” View a teaser trailer below.

Jon Davison, who also fronts Yes, has laid down vocal tracks alongside returned live singer Carl Groves and former member Susie Bogdanowicz. Guest musician include Rob Reed of Magenta, David Ragsdale of Kansas and Randy Jackson of Zebra.

And the album marks Glass Hammer’s first-ever collaboration with an outside lyricist in the track Crowbone, penned by British historical fiction novelist Robert Low.

Babb tells Prog: “We turned a corner last year when Carl rejoined to fill in for Jon, who was touring with what we call ‘the other band.’ We knew it wasn’t a good thing to have Carl only front us on stage, but we’d always said how much we would love to have him in the studio, as well as Susie – so, back she came as well In our minds, they’d never really left.

“Jon hasn’t quit just because he’s working with Yes, so Ode To Echo features all three of these singers, and even a couple of others from years gone by.

“Lyrically we’re dealing with mythology, using it to call attention to some very dark ideas. Narcissus is seen on the cover; fans can expect to hear our thoughts on narcissism. Ozymandias, I Am I and the oddly-titled Misantrog are three tracks that deal with narcissism specifically.”

Babb became a fan of Low’s books after reading his Oathsworn series, which deals with a group of Vikings as they battle their way across Europe in the tenth century. He explains: “Rob’s work is very gritty and down to earth, but he doesn’t shy away from the supernatural; and he does an outstanding job of putting you into the action. You can smell the fear, the sweat and blood of battle.

“With Rob I did something I very rarely do: I emailed him as a fan. To my surprise he replied and confessed to being a Glass Hammer fan. He sent me a poem he’d written for his novel Crowbone that he hadn’t used. He recently heard a rough mix of the track, and seems genuinely thrilled with the direction it has taken.”

And the experience has been a positive one for Babb: “Rob and other authors are absolutely welcome to send me verses or poems. There’s a very good chance we would do this again. Hawkwind had Michael Moorcock – Glass Hammer could have Rob Low. But anyone who has a spare bit of poetry lying around that wouldn’t mind having it ‘progged up’ should send me something soon!”

A firm release date hasn’t been set for Ode To Echo, but it’s due in the coming weeks. Babb reports: “Expect an album that sounds nothing like the last three or four, and yet sounds precisely like Glass Hammer. That seems like a contradiction, but will make much more sense to fans once they’ve heard the album.”
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Auto buy for me!

Am really looking forward to this album! Though I have thoroughly enjoyed the last three, and they continue to be in regular rotation chez moi, they have always seemed a bit on the 'light and airy' side to me; and it would be cool to have something different (yet apparently the same?).

Yes, an auto-buy for me also!

Wow, it seems like the guys are pulling out all the stops for this album, I'm pretty psyched for this release. Cool album cover too.

Jefferson James
    Cor Cordium was my introduction to Glass Hammer and I really love that album; this teaser sounds great, looking forward to this release, release.

This sounds really promising. Fred and Steve have consistently produced interesting and high-class music, so this is definitely one I will look forward to.