Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Annie Wilson - National Anthem

^^ The looks on the faces in the crowd say it all. ^^

Can't help but feel sorry for that misguided child. I bet her parents thought it was great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I guess that an opera singer is going to sing the anthem at the game tonight. She should be able to belt it without going all "pop diva" on it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I guess that an opera singer is going to sing the anthem at the game tonight. She should be able to belt it without going all "pop diva" on it.
    I might check that out. I will state that I always felt opera singers tend to be too technical and passionless when they sing it. Believe me, I don't want any self-serving diva, though. But, I really don't expect to watch much of the game, anyway.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I just wanna know when the game is gonna start. I forgot the GAME was today. I swear.

She did a good job, I thought. Power, passion, no turning one word into 20 notes. Very nice.

neil

opera singers tend to be too technical and passionless when they sing it.

This is what happened. No emotion. Far preferred Ann Wilsons version!

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    opera singers tend to be too technical and passionless when they sing it.

This is what happened. No emotion. Far preferred Ann Wilsons version!
    I only caught the last couple of notes, but I'm not surprised. I'll check it out.

EDIT: just checked it out. Very unmoving. Just what I expected. She also could have used a metronome, because she was slow, then fast, then slow, then fast. Couldn't resist the big note, just like all the others.
    Last edited by ronmac; 02-03-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Loved it!
    Excellent rendition.
    But who is she?

Even though I'm not American or anywhere near the US, I always get goosebumps at the lyrics "that our flag was still there"

Seemed passionate to me. I agree with the slow, fast thing, though. She may have emphasized the 'big note', but she didn't turn it into twenty notes. Just one powerful one. I can certainly live with that.

Unfortunately, unless you are a Seahawks fan, the anthem and the half time show were the best things about the game.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think a guy named Jesus stated that "The kingdom of heaven is within you."
    Not trying to ruffle a feather, but my gut is you're wrong on that. What book / verse of the bible is that quote? Are you sure it's not "with you"? (Big dif between that and "within you")

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Not trying to ruffle a feather, but my gut is you're wrong on that. What book / verse of the bible is that quote? Are you sure it's not "with you"? (Big dif between that and "within you")
    My translation has the quote as "the Kingdom of God is within you." It comes from Luke 17:21.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    I ain't no Bible expert, but I've heard variations of that being attributed to him. I just found this:

http://biblehub.com/luke/17-21.htm

Renee Fleming singing Mad World..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZD72ZCe9Xs

This a tricky passage theologically...

http://www.bible-researcher.com/luke17.21.html

http://www.icgchurches.org/Chicago_I...nd_A_003.shtml

...Seem to be the common interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    This a tricky passage theologically...

http://www.bible-researcher.com/luke17.21.html

http://www.icgchurches.org/Chicago_I...nd_A_003.shtml

...Seem to be the common interpretations.
    A good reason to simply follow one's own rules of morality, instead of the interpretations of others. But, I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Imagine there's no heaven - I can't.

No hell below us - I hope there is I

Imagine all the people
    Living for today... - Well that's the kind of shortsighted hippy shite that fvcked the planet up in the first place

Imagine there's no countries - no thanks, multi-culturalism doesn't work, many African and Asian countries prove it every day with people killing people from other tribes and ethnic groups and political parties

And no religion too -no thanks, religion is a comfort to billions far more so than the destructive powers of atheism, communism and consumerism

And the world will be as one - I sincerely hope not, the Asians and Africans can bomb and shoot the fvck out of each other, I don't want anything to do with it

Imagine no possessions - no thanks, why would I? so that some hippy atheist communist can create some awful hellish idea of Utopia with everyone thinking the same, living in the same way, earning the same, having no borders, having nothing to believe in.
    God, but I hate the atheist communist hippydom of that song and the atheist communist hippydom of John Lennon in general.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    God, but I hate the atheist communist hippydom of that song and the atheist communist hippydom of John Lennon in general.
    Ignorance is bliss. But, willful ignorance is just sad and pathetic.

John actually believed there was a God. By why should you let facts get in your way?