Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working Man: A Tribute to Rush

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I had a cassette of it. Didn't care for it. As stated above, the vocals just weren't working for me. Rush is a hard band to cover. Their stuff is so precisely orchestrated, and the fans are so used to hearing them played a certain way. The only Rush cover I can think of that I've liked was Xanadu by Silver Sun because they COMPLETELY f'd with the arrangement.
    Never heard of Silver Sun, have no idea what they are all about, but that cover is, um, interesting, to say the least.

This is the only one of the Rush tributes I have. It's ok, I did enjoy the version of YYZ on it, thought that was cool.

Most of the songs are by a future super group 'The Winery Dogs'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Most of the songs are by a future super group 'The Winery Dogs'.
    ??????? What are you talking about?

I have this tribute album and it's mostly pretty well done. I don't think the point was to ape the originals - it was to do something a bit different with them. Which was fun to listen to once or twice.

Always thought Rush was one of the hardest bands to take a song and do something fresh with. They are so unique it's tough to go somewhere with their music.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Not crazy about the drumming in the "Analog Kid" cover,
    agree. the double bass drums were overkill in the spots they appeared. Peart's original version was as usual just right.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    agree. the double bass drums were overkill in the spots they appeared. Peart's original version was as usual just right.
    I suppose that's why I never had a problem with them doing all their material spot on live. The Weapon might be one of the few songs they let loose a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Thoughts on this album? I never bought it.
    I found a cheap used copy a looooooooooong time ago, listened to it once, found a couple of interesting moments on it but didn't really care for the metallic sheen that most of the songs had. Overall I found it mostly boring and never understood why anyone would want to listen to this over the real deal. haven't touched it since.
    Now if there were a Rush tribute of artist coming from different genres other than prog-metal like Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur jr, Flaming Lips or even Brad Paisley (you know, like the Bad Plus killer arrangement of Tom Sawyer) that would be far more interesting imo.

This is at least one reason I avoid tribute albums like the plague. Totally pointless, added NOTHING new to the songs, mindless note-for-note sound-for-sound Xerox copies, why bother. WORTHLESS with a capital W.
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.