Thread: Iannis Xenakis

Iannis Xenakis

Any fans of this particular composer here? I have a few CD's of his music, notably the first two "Ensemble Music" CD's that Mode Records put out back in the mid 90's, as well as a CD issue (not the Mode Records one) of La légende d'Eer.

Something I didn't know for a long time is apparently Mode Records has continued it's series of Xenakis releases (all identified with the large X filling the entire front cover artwork). According to their website, they've issued 13 titles so far, including three that are also available on DVD (I gather the DVD's have surround sound versions of pieces that were intended to be heard in that fashion) and a three CD set of his percussion music.

With a (hopefully) more steady stream of cash coming in now, I'm thinking of picking a few of the other Mode releases. Any suggestions from anyone who's maybe heard them.

I have the Timpani orchestral box, but I haven't really warmed up to much of this music. I like dissonance, but Xenakis is very extreme. An unlike Penderecki, it just doesn't draw me in. Right now I'm exploring the Moroccan born composer, Maurice Ohana. I can't get enough of his music.