Thread: Prog stores in Montreal?

Prog stores in Montreal?

I'll be heading to Montreal (for my sixth annual trip to see Pete Trewavas play in one band or another) in a couple of weeks, and I always pop in to Freeson Rock to unload some cash and get a stack of new discs. But this year I'd like to check out any other shops that exist as well. Does anyone happen to know of another prog specialty shop like Freeson Rock?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    On the same street as Freeson (Mt. Royal Est), you'll find several vinyl stores with huge prog sections but no store dedicated exclusively to prog.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    On the same street as Freeson (Mt. Royal Est), you'll find several vinyl stores with huge prog sections but no store dedicated exclusively to prog.
    Actually, I did venture into one of those last year, can't remember the name of it, but it was just down the street a bit. Picked up the Yes BBC sessions 2-CD set used for six bucks. I do like the idea of 'huge prog sections' though, I'll need to look those up. Thanks!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I live in Montreal and I do not think any other such store exists. I haven't set foot in FreeSon in ages though. Why pay 25.00 for a CD you can order on-line for 12.00 ? I'm surprised he's still open for business!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'll be heading to Montreal (for my sixth annual trip to see Pete Trewavas play in one band or another) in a couple of weeks, and I always pop in to Freeson Rock to unload some cash and get a stack of new discs. But this year I'd like to check out any other shops that exist as well. Does anyone happen to know of another prog specialty shop like Freeson Rock?
    Not "prog specialty shops" but on the same street as FreeSon you'll find Aux 33 Tours (1373 Mont-Royal Est), Melodisc (807 Mont-Royal Est), and Bouquinerie (799 Mont-Royal Est) which are all good stores and worth a visit. Echange (713 Mont-Royal Est) used to be good but has gone down the shitter a bit in recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I live in Montreal and I do not think any other such store exists. I haven't set foot in FreeSon in ages though. Why pay 25.00 for a CD you can order on-line for 12.00 ? I'm surprised he's still open for business!
    I agree that it can be pricey there. But I've also found some reasonable prices. And it's just so nice to be able to browse a well-stocked store specializing in my favourite thing of all time: prog CDs. I'm a big online shopper but nothing beats the experience of browsing the actual items and instantly owning them when you walk out of the store. Also, it's always a part of my vacation, so I tend to overlook the slightly higher prices. I've found some killer titles at that store too. Like Sinkadus' Cirkus for example. Long out of print now and very difficult to track down, especially for a reasonable price. There it was, just sitting on the shelf, demanding that I buy it.

Do they still have a section for second-hand prog CDs? I should probably fill up a box with stuff collecting dust and sell them off.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yes they do. I found the Flower Kings Edition Limitée Québec 1998, autographed, for $10 in perfect condition in that section.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I usually pick up some cool used stuff at FreeSon. Picked up a Twin Age disc and an After Crying DVD there used last year.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Prog Fou! on Rue du Chatelaine.

^^^

Just walked out of Freeson with a stack of discs. Ulisse - "Progenesi", both Quella Vecchia Locandas, a 5-disc New Trolls box, Le Orme's "Elementi" (pretty much completes my Orme collection), Maneige's "Libre Service" and an early Mystery album. Admiring them now from the Starbucks down the street. He has two copies of the Kaleidoscope art book in stock for $67.99 apiece.

Poutine! Poutine!

You jest, but it is the Poutine Festival right now!

Oh, also walked into Aux 33 Tours just down the street and found perfect condition used CDs of Weather Report's "Sweetnighter" and Di Meola/McLaughlin/De Lucia's "Friday Night In San Fransisco" for $4.99 each! Nice find.

Aux 33 Tours is a great shop. Picked up my biggest haul of good condition Quebecois vinyl when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You jest, but it is the Poutine Festival right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I haven't set foot in FreeSon in ages though. Why pay 25.00 for a CD you can order on-line for 12.00 ? I'm surprised he's still open for business!
    I was in Free Son yesterday for the first time in two or three years and came away quite impressed. Prices have come way down from what they used to be and were generally competitive with online vendors. I picked up Alphataurus "Live in Bloom" for $23.99 (compared to $20US at Wayside and SynPhonic), Tasavallan Presidenti's "Lambertland" for $18.99 ($18US at SynPhonic), and Motorpsycho's "Little Lucid Moments" for $14.99 ($18US at Wayside, $15.29CDN from the cheapest Amazon.ca marketplace seller).

Several other items I looked at were in the same $18-20 range. Didn't notice anything in the traditional $26-30 range which most of their prog imports had been priced at for many years. The used selection was improved too (found Hidrea Spacefolk's "Balansia" for 10 bucks) and not just filled up with Russian pirate editions like it used to be.

I will be adding the store back to my usual Montreal itinerary after having mostly avoided it for the last several years.