Thread: RIP Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen

Banned

RIP Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen

On my way home from work, I was on Facebook and learned(via Ultimate Classic Rock) that Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen died from cancer today. He had been battling the disease for nearly four years. For those that don't know, he was the singer for Trillion, Le Roux, and Toto. I do have Toto's Isolation(to me, a classic), and will be getting the self-titled Trillion CD once I have money(I have heard a few songs from this online). I had been wanting to get this CD for a while. Inspired by his death, I will.

That sucks. I did not even know he was ill. He was a local homeboy from Grand Rapids MI (about 45 minutes from where I live), who hit the big time. Trillion was a band that should have been a lot bigger than they were, and his work with Toto was very good.

Steve Sly

I didn't have Isolation, but I remember Stranger In Town being played a lot on MTV (first place I remember seeing Brad Dourif, though I had no idea at the time that was him playing the "criminal" in the video or who he was). Great, great song. I once played a version of that track on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice, where I spliced the intro from the 12" remix onto the album version.

R.i.P.. “isolation” was a great album albeit an unusual one for TOTO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    R.i.P.. “isolation” was a great album albeit an unusual one for TOTO.
    I agree. Btw, I had read on several sites that Fergie had been battling Hepatitis C for many years.

Banned

Anybody ever heard of these songs? If so, what do you think of them? Can't stop playing these videos.

Banned
    Just for the sake of accuracy, it should be mentioned that the stuff he did with LeRoux was not representative of the original musical direction of (Louisiana's) LeRoux, a style to which they've since returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Just for the sake of accuracy, it should be mentioned that the stuff he did with LeRoux was not representative of the original musical direction of (Louisiana's) LeRoux, a style to which they've since returned.
    True, Leroux has returned to their more Cajun / blues rock roots these days and have done several albums and tours backing up Tab Benoit of late. The Fergie years of Laroux where when they were trying to crack the big time as an AOR band. They had some minor success, but never really hit it big. Fergie's whole career seemed to be like that. He either joined bands when they were on the down slide or was a member of bands that never quite hit it as big as they should.

Steve Sly

Banned

Bump!!

his stint in TOTO was an unfortunate one. i read somewhere that “he didn't sit well within the band’s ranks but he sat perfectly well on the album”. in hindsight the move towards joseph williams brought TOTO back to themselves, but “isolation” remains an odd, yet seminal 1980s album. there is not a single weak track on it, except luke's über-cheesy ballad.

Banned
    “isolation” remains an odd, yet seminal 1980s album. there is not a single weak track on it, except luke's über-cheesy ballad.
    I agree with this, except the last part. How Does It Feel brings me to tears.

his stint in TOTO was an unfortunate one. i read somewhere that “he didn't sit well within the band’s ranks but he sat perfectly well on the album”. in hindsight the move towards joseph williams brought TOTO back to themselves, but “isolation” remains an odd, yet seminal 1980s album. there is not a single weak track on it, except luke's über-cheesy ballad.
    Luke's ballad is MUCH better than "Mr. Friendly," IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned

Tell me what you all think of this song. R.I.P Fergie.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Tell me what you all think of this song. R.I.P Fergie.
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread I always thought that Trillion should have hit a lot bigger than they did. This song is a good example. Always loved that album cover too.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread I always thought that Trillion should have hit a lot bigger than they did. This song is a good example. Always loved that album cover too.

Steve Sly
    I may be off based, but is the cover supposed to be the Colorado Rockies? That make sense since the album was recorded at Caribou Ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I may be off based, but is the cover supposed to be the Colorado Rockies? That make sense since the album was recorded at Caribou Ranch.
    I was thinking Mt. Everest with the Tigers.