Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Return To Forever's debut album

I like the first Elektric Band album...Light Years was the low point. Some good stuff on the debut, though....Got a Match, in particular....

The Vigil is actually the name of his new band....and I dig the new album. It's more organic than the EB stuff, IMO. Saw them a while back, and it was a great show.

Stan Getz's Captain Marvel arrived today, I'll be spinning it tonight! Currently in the middle of a Di Meola solo run of the first four albums. God, I love Lenny White.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Says you! I'll admit, "Light Years" was pretty bad, but "Inside Out" was the best fusion album he's made since "Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy" (imo of course). The rest of the EB albums fall somewhere in between those two. But there's plenty of great writing and great playing... and more musical versatility than on the RTF albums.

I have it, but haven't listened to it enough to judge it fairly. At this point, I'd say it's not one of his best, but it IS good!
    Light Years is the only one I bought. It was awful. Yes, Gambale is a great player, but my god, the slap bass, the keytar, the happy smooth jazz beat, the bad hairpiece, the sax tone borrowed from a Glenn Frey record, what a combination.

You bought the turd of that band's output, for sure.....I mean, it's not total crap, but it's nowhere near the first album, or Inside Out, or Beneath the Mask, etc..

You forgot the clothes, too...man, those EB album photos featured some pretty spiffy duds.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Light Years is the only one I bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    You bought the turd of that band's output, for sure.....I mean, it's not total crap, but it's nowhere near the first album, or Inside Out, or Beneath the Mask, etc..
    You beat me to it, Cone! That would be kind of like buying "Invisible Touch" as your first Genesis album and deciding that Genesis sucks.

I'm with you, Ernie.
    Also agree that Inside Out was the best thing they did...I like Eye of the Beholder quite a bit, as well.

Making a case for Chick's EB being a lot better than "Light Years" led you to believe:

From the debut (live version alert):

From "Inside Out:"

On a side note, I was recently looking at Scott Henderson's answered questions on his discussion forum. Someone asked him if he'd be willing to play with the EB again if Gambale couldn't make a tour. Scott said, "Are you kidding me?! I wouldn't get within 100 miles of that Scientology shitfest."

I do like it. What Game is poignantly dated. Rest of it delightful.

Excellent big band cover versions of

Return to forever
    You're everything
    Space circus
    Vulcan worlds
    No mystery
    Medieval overture
    Captain señor mouse