Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tears For Fears

stupid rule..

"She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

^ that one is about Curt. A couple of glances at his website, and ya know, I'm taking Orzabal's side.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    ^ that one is about Curt. A couple of glances at his website, and ya know, I'm taking Orzabal's side.

"You always said you were the compassionate one
    But now you're laughing at the sun
    With all your high class friends you think you've got it made
    The only thing you made was that tanned look on your face
    With all your cigarettes and fancy cars
    You ain't a clue who or what you are "

Don't forget the awesome "Power"
    love the jazzy solo in the middle.

Unevensong - Camel

yep great band , great singing great tunes . the first two are my faves with "the hurting" slightly edging out "big chair" as my fave cd. i have elemental and raoul and think elemental is the better of the two. "everybody loves a happy ending" was very nice but seems more of a Beatles homage then a bonafide T4F cd. its not imo on the same level as the other t4f albums.

I also picked up "saturnine martial and lunatic" which is a really nice compilation of much of their other stuff that was not big hits. b side, demo versions etc etc. very nice but more for the fan who wanted some of their more obscure stuff.

wildcats screaming is pretty killer but has a more heavy rock aor sound overall with some very nice tunage.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    "everybody loves a happy ending" was very nice but seems more of a Beatles homage then a bonafide T4F cd. its not imo on the same level as the other t4f albums.
    Interesting take. I do like it more than The Seeds Of Love.

For those looking for Everybody Loves A Happy Ending, get the UK version which has 2 extra tracks.

Pullin A Cloud:

Out Of Control:

...both are really just Roland solo tracks

Secret World: Live

If some haven't checked out the French import, Secret World: Live, definitely do so! That was recorded in 2005 in Paris for xiii Bis Records -- Tears For Fears' label they were with. Originally packaged as a CD & DVD combo. The only official DVD of Tears For Fears since their 2004 reunion. Also has Nick D'Virgilio on drums.

CD:
    http://www.amazon.com/Secret-World-L.../dp/B002KQOCMY

DVD:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JIOS7C

The original release also had a brand new studio song, Floating Down The River (Once Again).

its not imo on the same level as the other t4f albums.
    Where's those similey thingys?

ELAHE is some of the best songwriting I've ever heard, TFF or otherwise. Yeah, Secret World could be straight off of Wings At The Speed of Sound, but these tunes are mature, full of hooks, lush instrumentation, stunning impassioned delivery, the lyrics are pure prose.

Even Curt manages to contribute one of his best, Who You Are

Here's the amazing Closest Thing To Heaven

And Ladybird

Banned
    yep great band , great singing great tunes . the first two are my faves with "the hurting" slightly edging out "big chair" as my fave cd. i have elemental and raoul and think elemental is the better of the two. "everybody loves a happy ending" was very nice but seems more of a Beatles homage then a bonafide T4F cd. its not imo on the same level as the other t4f albums.

I also picked up "saturnine martial and lunatic" which is a really nice compilation of much of their other stuff that was not big hits. b side, demo versions etc etc. very nice but more for the fan who wanted some of their more obscure stuff.

wildcats screaming is pretty killer but has a more heavy rock aor sound overall with some very nice tunage.
    I also hear people say that the Seeds Of Love album was also a Beatles homage. Btw, to the person that said that TFF was just an ordinary pop band(or something like that) needs to listen to some of their album cuts like Mother's Talk. Pretty deep stuff.

i assume you're referring to the reason for their original break-up. don't think i've ever heard the story.

And Ladybird
    nice song

Unevensong - Camel

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    There's a band I wouldn't mind hearing new stuff from. I never get tired to hear their material, memories of good times.
    -Robert

They were more than that, much more than that. Orzabal is a real talent, probably approaching genius in terms of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    not really! The 80's were ok! (thanks to Tears for Fears)
    Ok, I knew I was going to get somekind of reaction (or should've guessed so), and in some ways you're both right... For the same price, I guess I might have said that TFF were one of the better pop bands of the 80's (but they're still an 80's pop band )

OK, a hit like Shout (which I like) could've been part of Talk Talk's repertoire (say alongside Life Is What You Make it) or the other way around.... both are excellent 80's pop songs... But overall in terms of total oeuvre they're far behind Talking Heads or U2 (which both happens to 70's bands that had their better moments in the 80's) >> though the last two Talk Talk albums (which are not typical of their 80's stuff) do raise the band's overall artistic aura

But I'll listen to the YT videos posted here the coming W-E to refresh my mind on TFF
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The 80s were a real transition decade for music. Prog had gone or gone commercial, and that spark of punk/new wave started me looking in very different directions. There were some amazing albums that came out in that decade, and some even more amazing songs, but for me, a few bands like TFF, Talk Talk, and the Mute-era Wire (and all the associated solo work), are really what I hold dear.

The early to mid 90s made more of a lasting impression on my record collection!

The 80s were a real transition decade for music. Prog had gone or gone commercial, and that spark of punk/new wave started me looking in very different directions. There were some amazing albums that came out in that decade, and some even more amazing songs, but for me, a few bands like TFF, Talk Talk, and the Mute-era Wire (and all the associated solo work), are really what I hold dear.

The early to mid 90s made more of a lasting impression on my record collection!
    Well, I must say that the 80's were a bit my rock hibernation decade, once I understood I didn't have much to await from the rock/pop world... I still kept an eye on it, but certainly my interests were elsewhere by the second half of that decade..; I still made some excellent discoveries, though
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...sell_me_a_god/

Indeed my return to the rock realm started in late 91/early 92, when RHCP and the Seattle scene suddendly invaded the airwaves...
    and it coincided with the arrival of the Swedish prog trio AnglaDotenBerk (which I was lucky to chance upon my library system for Angla and Landberk)...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But I'll listen to the YT videos posted here the coming W-E to refresh my mind on TFF
    I recommend listening to Songs from the Big Chair as an album rather than listening to the singles. That's the way it was mean to be heard. You might be surprised at how different those well known songs sound in context. That whole album just flows together, one song blending into the next. I'm not sure if it was mean to be concept album because I don't pay attention to lyrics much, but it sounds like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I recommend listening to Songs from the Big Chair as an album rather than listening to the singles. That's the way it was mean to be heard. You might be surprised at how different those well known songs sound in context. That whole album just flows together, one song blending into the next. I'm not sure if it was mean to be concept album because I don't pay attention to lyrics much, but it sounds like it.
    I actually bought the SFTBC album back then, on the strength of Shout, and it was a major disappointment.... that track was the only thing I like on it and to a lesser extent thelong closing track (if memory serves)...
    it's one of those album that had the shortest stay in my record collection

I'm more interested in Seeds Of Love album, which has longer tracks, but I've never heard anything from their later albums (at least that I'm aware of)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I actually bought the SFTBC album back then, on the strength of Shout, and it was a major disappointment.... that track was the only thing I like on it and to a lesser extent thelong closing track (if memory serves)...
    27 years have passed. Have another go. Pick it up at your library next time you go.

In some ways, I think they just got better with each succeeding album. So I'd recommend exploring their more recent material. I think Elemental and Raoul and The Kings of Spain are especially brilliant. I like Everybody Loves a Happy Ending a lot as well. Smart, rich pop songwriting doesn't get much better than this.

HUGE fan. I just put together a compilation of my fav TFF tracks. Deep music...not just pop. Desert island comp for sure!!!!

The Hurting
    Memories Fade
    Start Of The Breakdown

Songs From The Big Chair
    Head Over Heels
    I Believe

Seeds of Love
    Badman's Song
    Sowing The Seeds Of Love
    Advice For The Young At Heart
    Year Of The Knife
    Famous Last Words

Elemental
    Cold
    Break It Down Again
    Brian Wilson Said

Raoul
    Falling Down
    God's Mistake

ELAHE
    Everybody Loves A Happy Ending
    Call Me Mellow
    Secret World
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

JIF said- "I also hear people say that the Seeds Of Love album was also a Beatles homage" yeah as heard through a lsd haze maybe but sure . while they do good beatles i think they do better tears for fears myself.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I also hear people say that the Seeds Of Love album was also a Beatles homage.
    Well, the title track is an homage to the Beatles, pretty blatant one at that. I think it was intentional. But nothing else on StSoL sounds like the Beatles at all. My fave album of theirs actually. Sonically brilliant and the songs are brilliant.
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I liked Everbody Loves A Happy Ending as well, but it had more than its share of Beatlesque moments. It actually reminds of an XTC album.

I liked The Hurting a bit less than anything else they did. I loved Gary Jules cover of Mad World. I bought his CD based on that one song... well, I liked that one song anyway

Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Just came across this new track by Junkie XL that features Curt Smith...nice 80's nod ( on purpose from what I've read about this track)

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    HUGE fan. I just put together a compilation of my fav TFF tracks. Deep music...not just pop. Desert island comp for sure!!!!

Elemental
    Cold
    Break It Down Again
    Brian Wilson Said

Raoul
    Falling Down
    God's Mistake
    Elemental: i would add - oh i don't know - the entire rest of the album
    Raoul: i would add Sketches, Don't Drink, Big Ideas

Unevensong - Camel