Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Colosseum II?

Great band instrumentally speaking-shame they decided to put a few vocal tunes on each album, which weren't all that good. The instrumental tunes though are top notch!

Tu veux un camembert?

killer band some good stuff but like all fusiony stuff its only as good as the melodies they jam mutate and modulate against.

The Japanese album titled Gary Moore - Spanish Guitar provides all the Colosseum II I want. I found the full albums are a very mixed bag with only a few good songs

Frankly, if Colosseum II sounded anything like Black Sabbath's "Air Dance" (w/ Airey on keys) from Never Say Die!, I'd listen to them more often.

Incredible group in some ways, but the hard rock MO stuff hasn't aged all that well. And that was probably the best of their various schticks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    So I really like all their 3 albums, I like Strange new Flesh the most. But I obviously the only one (here)
    I like that album, too. That's the only one by Colosseum II that I have. I also have Valentyne Suite by the first Colosseum. I love the Second Colosseum's version of Down To You. It foreshadows the direction Ms. Mitchell would take later in her career.

I've always loved the song "Down To You" from "Strange New Flesh"....I also thought it was female vocals on that one because my original issue CD has almost no info in the booklet....also really like all of "War Dance" and "Electic Savage".....
    www.canvasproductions.net

Quote Originally Posted by Canvas View Post
    I've always loved the song "Down To You" from "Strange New Flesh"....I also thought it was female vocals on that one
    Well, the version that matters has female vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Canvas View Post
    I've always loved the song "Down To You" from "Strange New Flesh"....I also thought it was female vocals on that one because my original issue CD has almost no info in the booklet....also really like all of "War Dance" and "Electic Savage".....
    That song was written by Joni Mitchell. But I first heard it on SNF...

I only have Electric Savage and think it's pretty good. Does anyone else think of Brand X when they hear this band ? Probably just me but...
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I know this is going to sound like heresy, but I went and bought "War Dance" on Amazon MP3 ... except for the vocal track, based on people's suggestions. Love it. "Electric Savage" is next. Too much out there I want to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I only have Electric Savage and think it's pretty good. Does anyone else think of Brand X when they hear this band ? Probably just me but...
    Nope. Brand X is head and shoulders above this band in every way.

Not quite... While I tend to think of BX as a bit too show-offy both in virtuoso and songwriting dept, they're miles better than C2
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

well, BX didnt really try to emulate anyone elses sound the way C2 sounds like RTF so I would say that BX are at least more original. Still, they are both Brit Fusion Prog so there's that in common
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    well, BX didnt really try to emulate anyone elses sound the way C2 sounds like RTF so I would say that BX are at least more original. Still, they are both Brit Fusion Prog so there's that in common
    I can hear a difference in C2 and RTF.

Any incarnation of Colluseum is head & shoulders above Brand X. And they always had a better drummer by a country mile ¡

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Any incarnation of Colluseum is head & shoulders above Brand X. And they always had a better drummer by a country mile ¡
    Rufus, why must you bash Phil Collins in every thread that he's mentioned in? As you should've learned in that other thread, you have to face the wraith of many PEers by doing so. Also, Phil is not on every Brand X album.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I can hear a difference in C2 and RTF.
    Dont get me wrong; I didn't mean to imply C2 are total copycats. RTF are in a different league. C2 took some obvious compositional cues from them is what I'm saying.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Brand X were only one of the best fusion bands that recorded and played live.
    I love Colosseum II, but not Strange New Flesh. The vocals could have been left off, for me, but even so, they were amazing. If you guys are Gary Moore fans, you should check out Jeff Kollman's album, Silence In The Corridor.

The track I love on Electric Savage is 'Lament'. Finest jazz-rock version of a traditional tune that I know!

I have a lot of respect for Jon Hiseman.

I have been a fan of the band since, well a long time back, really loved and played the crap out of Wardance when it came out, as did most of my friends, they were doing that fusion meets hard rock thing that old Journey(Pre-Steve Perry), and Tommy Bolin did, I for one loved it all, and to my ears, old as they are, I like all the albums, not wanting to compare them to RTF, Brand X or anyone else for that matter, they stood on their own merits, very good virtuoso rock musicians doing fusiony stuff, with very nice results, just because of this thread, I put all three on a playlist, and found even the vocal stuff fine, some I prefer more than others, and ideally could make a sort of "greatest non-hits" compilation, but how can one argue with Moore's guitar playing, Airey is a proven player, and Hiseman really takes the energy level to the next level ala Alphonse Mouzon.

From recollection Gary Moore sang on the only vocal track on ES and he ain't a bad vocalist !
    Gary sings 2 songs, Rivers and Lament on Electric Savage. Neither one interest me that much. Castles is a bit better on War Dance,but Gary had not yet gotten his vocal lessons from Glenn Hughes,so by the time he went through his hard rock and blues phase he was a great singer. I have to believe that Glenn was instrumental(ironically) in helping Gary sing much better.

I would like to recommend Strange New Flesh 2 disc,because the bonus tracks are absolutely killer prog,some sung by Gary,but mostly awesome jazz-fusion in a live setting. There is also a dvd out there from the Sound and Vision series of the BBC. It is considered a boot,but I didn't know it when I bought it. You Tube has the whole thing iirc. I really miss Gary Moore. He died way too soon.

Comparing C2 to RTF or Brand X is silly. All great, all completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I agree with rapidfirerob 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post

Tend to agree with you but drawing parallels between them can be allowed.... but it's much more consistent to compare BX with RTF than either with C2
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.