Thread: RIP "Reuben Kincaid" Dave Madden

RIP "Reuben Kincaid" Dave Madden

From "The Partridge Family". Another star from another childhood favorite show gone. He was 82. RIP.
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/01/16/dave-m...zergnet_128658
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Also was a regular on "Laugh-In". RIP.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I remember him from the show camp run amuck.

Ah man, RIP.

Ah, Danny Partridge's foil. They always had snappy quips between them which made the show bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Ah, Danny Partridge's foil. They always had snappy quips between them which made the show bearable.
    That and Susan Dey.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

RIP Dave Madden. As noted above, the things that kept me watching were the banter between Reuben and Danny, and the shining luminosity that was Susan Dey.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The thing that gets me about that show is how the drummer turned from a dark haired geek in the first season to a blonde haired kid in the second and subsequent seasons. Yes, I know the real world reason, Bonaduce and the first kid didn't get along, but wouldn't you think it'd at least make sense to get a replacement who at least kinda sorta looks like him.

The thing that always cracked me up was you could TELL that none of those kids knew how to play their respective instruments. Bonaduce said that at some point, David Cassidy got mad at him for "strumming" chords on the bass (and Stu Hamm once joked that he could never figure out how Bonaduce "played" all those songs without moving his left hand). And I remember at least one show where the drummer (I think it was the blonde haired one) was hitting the snare drum on every beat. I do have to say Susan Dey always kinda looked cute trying to make it look like she was playing an electric piano or organ and sing back up vocals at the same time.

Shirley Jones once said people kept asking her why they didn't take "the act" on the road or play Vegas or whatever, and she said "There is no act to take on the road!". Obviously, the people who were constantly asking her about that were clueless enough to not notice the inability of the kids to properly mime their instruments.

And it's not like they were particularly secretive about the matter. The albums all credited the studio musicians who played on them (I know because for some reason I owned a couple of them when I was little), with David and Shirley being the only cast members actually named on the album covers (though they were all of course pictured). And if you were eagle eyed enough to read the closing credits, there was typically (if not always) a footnote that "The Partridge Family are augmented by studio musicians and singers" (augmented, my ass).

Getting back to Susan Dey, she was in a really good early 80's movie called Looker. I can't exactly explain the movie's plot, but it had to do with an ad agency replacing models with computer generated doppelgangers, which could be programmed to implant subliminal messages. I'm not sure if it's actually her or a body double, but she appears to have a brief full frontal scene, too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The thing that gets me about that show is how the drummer turned from a dark haired geek in the first season to a blonde haired kid in the second and subsequent seasons. Yes, I know the real world reason, Bonaduce and the first kid didn't get along, but wouldn't you think it'd at least make sense to get a replacement who at least kinda sorta looks like him.
    Actually, what I recall reading or hearing was that the first kid was totally out of control.

Shirley Jones was quite a looker in her day. People don't realize that she was also an Academy award winner.

It's amazing how, once you grow up, you learn that many of these TV stars you only knew as a kid, actually had hugely successful movie careers. Other Academy Award winners, Shirley Booth and Ernest Borgnine, come to mind.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Actually, what I recall reading or hearing was that the first kid was totally out of control.
    Yeah, apparently so. When I say "he and Bonaduce didn't get along", what I should have said was, apparently the drummer kid would do stuff like kick Bonaduce under the kitchen table, sometimes in the middle of a take, which would then result in the two of them fighting. And since Bonaduce was more of a "star" on the show, when the opportunity came up, they replaced the drummer kid.

Shirley Jones was quite a looker in her day. People don't realize that she was also an Academy award winner.
    True on both counts. She was also a stage actress, too. I forget which movie I saw her in, and I couldn't get over it. I remember one interview where she said she agreed to do The Partridge Family because she wanted to scale back film work. I think she said something like "And it worked, I haven't done a movie or play since!"

It's amazing how, once you grow up, you learn that many of these TV stars you only knew as a kid, actually had hugely successful movie careers. Other Academy Award winners, Shirley Booth and Ernest Borgnine, come to mind.
    The first things I remember seeing Borgnine in were Super Fuzz (terrible movie, but kinda amusing in it's own way) and Escape From New York.

And it's amazing how many people you associate with certain sort of pop culture oriented things actually were known early on for "artistic" stuff. Max Von Sydow worked with Ingmar Bergman long before he played Ming The Merciless and Brewmeister Smith. And the first time I remember seeing John Hurt, actually, was in a Paul McCartney video.

I thought Susan Dey was really pretty back then but way too skinny. I think I read something years ago where she had (or might've had) an eating disorder during the show's run. I think David Cassidy said he told her to eat a sandwich or some sarcastic remark. Nah, give me Marcia Brady over Susan Dey any day.

By the way, I just saw something on the news a couple days ago about David Cassidy being arrested for DUI, AGAIN! The guy's had three DUIs in like 2 years or something. Ya think his life is unraveling? No it ain't funny, he could get killed, or kill someone else. I just find it amazing how some of these celebrities, who have everything can't seem to get the help they need, having money and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    By the way, I just saw something on the news a couple days ago about David Cassidy being arrested for DUI, AGAIN! The guy's had three DUIs in like 2 years or something. Ya think his life is unraveling? No it ain't funny, he could get killed, or kill someone else. I just find it amazing how some of these celebrities, who have everything can't seem to get the help they need, having money and resources.
    My friend got his third and served six months. I'm betting Cassidy doesn't serve any time.

Yup - the first kid - Jeremy Gelbwaks - that played the drummer was an out-of-control nutbag. The catalyst that made him leave was altercations between him and Danny that finally got to a "Either he goes, or Danny goes" draw. That choice was obvious. I remember seeing a "Where are they now?" with Jeremy Gelbwaks in the 90s or early 00s: he had just finished college and had explained the story.

From answers.com -

If Jeremy Gelbwaks from the Partridge Family behaved so badly why wasn't Brian Forster chosen to play Chris Partridge from the beginning?

Answer:

Because they didn't know Ahead of time he was a "Chronically misbehaving child" until he was hired and began the first season, after they realized it, the family mentioned to the director (producer) or both that his father had received a job offer elsewhere in the country and they were considering moving the family away so the father could get the better job. They were encouraged to do so to "get rid of the kid" and the family chose to do so, despite then not wanting to leave the show "high and dry" so to speak, without an actor to play Chris. Actually, EVERYONE was fed up and wanted him out. BTW, Jeremy did not play drums in "real" life and it was obvious that he did not when the cast were performing that he was not even on the beat/ hitting the correct drum, etc., when they chose the second Chris, they at least chose a kid who had some experience playing the drums, so that even though they did not actually play the instruments when "performing" at least he could look like he knew how to stay on the beat/ pretend to hit the correct drum, etc.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post

There's a high rate of relapse when it comes to recovering addicts. Sometimes it's because people don't understand how these things work. I think Alice Cooper's wife said that a couple years after he cleaned himself up, she brought up a bottle of wine, not realizing that it was gonna shove him off the wagon, as it were. That was back in the late 70's, when there was less knowledge amongst the general public about that kind of stuff.

And the entertainment industry isn't really the place someone who can't have "just one drink" should be. That's why I never understood that stupid Celebrity Rehab show. It seemed to me that sticking a bunch of TV cameras in the faces of people who are literally fighting for their lives was likely to impede the purposes of being in rehab in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    From answers.com -

If Jeremy Gelbwaks from the Partridge Family behaved so badly why wasn't Brian Forster chosen to play Chris Partridge from the beginning?

Answer:

Because they didn't know Ahead of time he was a "Chronically misbehaving child" until he was hired and began the first season, after they realized it, the family mentioned to the director (producer) or both that his father had received a job offer elsewhere in the country and they were considering moving the family away so the father could get the better job. They were encouraged to do so to "get rid of the kid" and the family chose to do so, despite then not wanting to leave the show "high and dry" so to speak, without an actor to play Chris. Actually, EVERYONE was fed up and wanted him out. BTW, Jeremy did not play drums in "real" life and it was obvious that he did not when the cast were performing that he was not even on the beat/ hitting the correct drum, etc., when they chose the second Chris, they at least chose a kid who had some experience playing the drums, so that even though they did not actually play the instruments when "performing" at least he could look like he knew how to stay on the beat/ pretend to hit the correct drum, etc.
    None of which explains why they replaced a brunette haired boy with a blonde, which was my point.

And that last bit isn't true. If you watch the show, even with the second Chris, there were places where he was hitting the drums on the wrong beat, etc. Of course, that could have also been down to bad editing, too.

Larry Carlton played guitar on their albums. Yep. Larry Carlton.

If you like 60s Sunshine pop, the Partridge Family albums are definitely worth a listen. Especially the (I think) third one titled "Sound Magazine". That is an excellent pop album.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    If you like 60s Sunshine pop, the Partridge Family albums are definitely worth a listen. Especially the (I think) third one titled "Sound Magazine". That is an excellent pop album.
    Yeah, there's some good songs on those records. There was one I remember really like a lot called I Can Hear Your Heartbeat. I'll Meet You Half Way was another one I remember liking, too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, there's some good songs on those records. There was one I remember really like a lot called I Can Hear Your Heartbeat. I'll Meet You Half Way was another one I remember liking, too.
    Both of those are great songs.

Its amazing how a lot of us (including myself) agree that the songs on some of those albums are really good, but if I would have admitted that 25-years-ago, my friends wouldve beat the snot out of me

I still have the partridge family Christmas album, And bought a couple of their Cd's years ago.
    Yeah, the tunes are great , well written with ambitious arrangements.
    A lot of that late 60s early 70s sunshine pop was terrific....,the 5th dimension, the free design and Burt Bacharach come to mind.

Btw, bonaduces autobiography was a fun read.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

[QUOTE=nosebone;208919
    Btw, bonaduces autobiography was a fun read.[/QUOTE]Agreed, Chris! I laughed my ass off more than once.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Its amazing how a lot of us (including myself) agree that the songs on some of those albums are really good, but if I would have admitted that 25-years-ago, my friends wouldve beat the snot out of me
    "Heeeeeeeey, I think I love you..." That song kills. Yeah, you couldn't admit it back in the day.