Thread: RIP "The Professor" Russell Johnson

RIP "The Professor" Russell Johnson

From Gilligan's Island. Professor Roy Hinkley. Had no idea he was 89. RIP
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/01/16/profes...6pLid%3D431375

(Knowing the thread will turn this way at some point....Ginger, by a landslide!)
    (Ironically, Mary Ann & Ginger are the sole survivors.)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

RIP Professor. Looking at his IMDB page just now and wow, he really kept working. Nothing spectacular but a solid, busy career.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

RIP. That's too bad.

So only Maryanne and Ginger are left. Now, gotta find that island. Those poor girls are all alone.....

Sad - discovering someone is actually still alive by learning that they aren't, if you see what I mean.

Oh well - a show I loved as a kid, so cheers Russell.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I loved the show as a kid too. Today I can barely sit through an episode of Gilligan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP. That's too bad.Those poor girls are all alone.....
    More like poor old ladies. I think I'd still Maryanne. Oh, sorry, RIP Professor.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Many don't realize how many films he made in his early career. He played a thug in many of them.

Hmmm, an island alone with MaryAnn and Ginger, makes me think of two words: Ron Sandwich!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb
    Sad - discovering someone is actually still alive by learning that they aren't
    Oddly enough, the wife and I were sitting around the other night wondering who was still alive from that show and I thought that Tina and Dawn were the only ones left. Then the next day... I hear this on the radio. RIP professor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012
    I loved the show as a kid too. Today I can barely sit through an episode of Gilligan
    Same here, but if I had to choose twix Gilligan or the Brady Bunch, I guess I'd choose Gilligan cuz there was always Maryann to oggle.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Well, it all comes down to Maryanne or Ginger. Yeah, I'm a Maryanne guy, but recently I've paid a little more attention to Ginger (on the rare occasion that I watch the show). Ginger smoldered. She was a stone fox! I think she torpedoed her own career because she took herself a little too seriously.

I will end the Ginger vs Mary-Ann debate right now, with the only valid answer:

A Three-Way!!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Well, it all comes down to Maryanne or Ginger. Yeah, I'm a Maryanne guy, but recently I've paid a little more attention to Ginger (on the rare occasion that I watch the show). Ginger smoldered. She was a stone fox! I think she torpedoed her own career because she took herself a little too seriously.
    I've been thinking the same thing, actually. I was always a Mary Ann fan, because she's a good girl (I married one of those), and I felt Ginger was too slutty. (Well, more of a tease.) Now, I kinda like that. And she was incredibly hot. What a body!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I was always a Mary Ann fan, because she's a good girl
    That wasn't what appealed to me about her. I just think she was beautiful, drop dead gorgeous, and a sexy, petite body to die for. I heard her short-shorts were auctioned off recently, or something ridiculous like that. Ginger to me was the typical conceited, self centered, stuck up girl that all the guys salivated over. Me, give me the quiet, shy, petite girl with a spanking body (and booty), and a cute face.

Which begs the question, Professor: How were either of the girls not perpetually pregnant?

Skipper: A bit old and out of shape for them (or perhaps not; he was only three years older than Russell)
    Gilligan: Too goofy, would have to be seduced by the girls
    Thurston Howell III: Lovie would kill him. Long in the tooth.

But it seems that most of the cast lived to a relatively ripe old age, with Alan Hale the only one that didn't make it to 70.

Russell actually spent time in the Pacific:

"After high school, in the midst of World War II, Johnson joined the United States Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet and was commissioned as a second lieutenant. He flew 44 combat missions as a bombardier in Consolidated B-24 Liberator four-engine heavy bombers.

While flying as a navigator in a B-24 with the 100th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group, 13th Air Force, his plane and two other B-24s were shot down over the Philippines in March 1945 during a low level bombing and strafing run against Japanese targets. The planes were hit by intense flak and had to ditch in the waters off the port of Zamboanga. During the ditching, he broke both ankles and the radioman next to him was killed. Johnson was awarded a Purple Heart for this mission. He was also awarded the Air Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three service stars, the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one service star, and the World War II Victory Medal."

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post

After high school, in the midst of World War II, Johnson joined the United States Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet and was commissioned as a second lieutenant. He flew 44 combat missions as a bombardier in Consolidated B-24 Liberator four-engine heavy bombers.

While flying as a navigator in a B-24 with the 100th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group, 13th Air Force, his plane and two other B-24s were shot down over the Philippines in March 1945 during a low level bombing and strafing run against Japanese targets. The planes were hit by intense flak and had to ditch in the waters off the port of Zamboanga. During the ditching, he broke both ankles and the radioman next to him was killed. Johnson was awarded a Purple Heart for this mission. He was also awarded the Air Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three service stars, the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one service star, and the World War II Victory Medal."
    Wow ! Thanks for the info !

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Well, it all comes down to Maryanne or Ginger. Yeah, I'm a Maryanne guy, but recently I've paid a little more attention to Ginger (on the rare occasion that I "watch the show").
    I've never heard it called that before!

Yet it's an apt name. Remove the commericals and they both last about the same amount of time!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-