Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ABCDEFG HIJK LPs on CD

ABCDEFG HIJK LPs on CD

Some of you who are new to this thread may have missed some letters, so just jump to the last post to see what letter we are on now.

This thread is for fellow music lovers (notice I didn't say Prog lovers since there are also going to be artists who make other styles of music discussed herein) to discuss artists whose catalog began well before the CD era and are in need of digital remasters. I have done digital remasters in my home studio (a poor man's Steven Wilson ) randomly for well over a decade, but have decided to approach this alphabetically now.

I'm doing one artist per letter (perhaps two if the letter is in need) then going back to A after I get through Z

I've been sticking to 70s mostly for the first pass but could do some 80s if there are enough votes for an 80s artist.

anyway, theres lots of things that I've done over the past decade just because someone I traded with wanted an album and I had to put it on CD at that time. Most of those were Symph or Fusion styles so now I'm branching out to do Rock, Funk or other styles as well as Prog styles. When I got to F it was between Fripps solo stuff or Funk Inc.. Since I have lots of Fripps work in my Crimso CDs I chose Funk Inc. and was very pleasantly surprised at the long overdue revisiting of that music. Funk Inc. are completely badass!

In case anyone's interested, I did
    Akkerman
    Bar-Kays
    Crusaders
    Dixie Dregs
    East
    Funk Inc.
    Gabriel
    Eddie Henderson

Now doing The Isley Bros.

But for J I have a huge choice and I'm turning to you guys to vote:
    many of you probably are familiar with most if not all of these artists and on this forum one might expect Tull to win this poll... but perhaps you'll surprise me
    (the choices)
    Milt Jackson
    Joe Jackson
    Jade Warrior
    The Jam
    Rick James
    Keith Jarrett
    Tull
    Linton Kwesi Johnson

I already did Alphonso Johnson a few years back
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 10-26-2014 at 01:40 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

You don't have enough J's!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

You don't have any Judas Priest? Jane's Addiction? Howard Jones or Eddie Jobson??
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

For me it would be between Jethro Tull and Joe Jackson. I might give the nod to Tull, but Jackson ranks right up there with me too.

Steve Sly

Actually, I already did Jobson and I only have one Howard Jones and generally would not go through the whole digital remaster process I do for just one album.

also, I only mentioned the ones I was considering this time round
    there's also
    Ronald Shannon Jackson
    Jane
    Jesse Johnson
    Lonnie Jordan
    Stanley Jordan
    Junie

and these are the LPs only... there's a whole different set of artists from the CD era starting with J but they're already on CD
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 01-16-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I guess it looks like Tull since I'd rather knock out the 70s stuff on the first round thru A-Z and no one voted for anything else!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    so, you may have heard that I'm trying to put all my LPs on CDR and I'm doing one artist per letter (then obviously starting back at A after the first pass)

I've been sticking to 70s mostly for the first pass but could do some 80s if I feel like it

anyway, theres lots of things that I've done over the past decade just because someone I traded with wanted an album and I had to put it on CD at that time. Most of those were Symph or Fusion styles so now I'm trying to do Rock, Funk or other styles. When I got to F it was between Fripps solo stuff or Funk Inc.. Since I have lots of Fripps work in my Crimso CDs I chose Funk Inc. and was very pleasantly surprised at the long overdue revisiting of that music.

many of you probably are familiar with most if not all of these artists and on this forum one might expect Tull to win this poll... but perhaps you'll surprise me
    (the choices)
    Milt Jackson
    Joe Jackson
    Jade Warrior
    The Jam
    Rick James
    Keith Jarrett
    Tull
    Linton Kwesi Johnson

I thought you didn't like jazz unless it had a rock beat.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Journey
    Chad

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If I was doing this I'd probably base it partly on what I felt was the most important to archive first. So in this case I would choose Tull too.

BTW, though, Jethro Tull should really be under J, shouldn't it? Since it's not actually by a person with whom you'd file it under Tull, Jethro, but a band called Jethro Tull. Just like Molly Hatchet wouldn't go under H.

Just sayin'.

I Vote Keith Jarrett,
    Specially the live solo album in Germany, Berlin probably,
    It is a kind of revelation in musical expression, capable even to get listeners' appreciation into turning point,
    tempting and inviting them to discover new horizons,
    sadly, at least as I know, this solos were and continue being quite rare...

so, you may have heard that I'm trying to put all my LPs on CDR and I'm doing one artist per letter (then obviously starting back at A after the first pass)

I've been sticking to 70s mostly for the first pass but could do some 80s if I feel like it

anyway, theres lots of things that I've done over the past decade just because someone I traded with wanted an album and I had to put it on CD at that time. Most of those were Symph or Fusion styles so now I'm trying to do Rock, Funk or other styles. When I got to F it was between Fripps solo stuff or Funk Inc.. Since I have lots of Fripps work in my Crimso CDs I chose Funk Inc. and was very pleasantly surprised at the long overdue revisiting of that music.

(the choices)
    Milt Jackson
    Joe Jackson
    Jade Warrior
    The Jam
    Rick James
    Keith Jarrett
    Tull
    Linton Kwesi Johnson

You should get absorbed by the immanent spiral and endless evolution sound of Seventh Sojourn, instead your "Journey"....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Journey

so, you may have heard that I'm trying to put all my LPs on CDR
    *REGARDLESS* of whether these LPs have been officially re-released on CD from the original master tapes without all of the RIAA limitations required to press an LP?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I thought you didn't like jazz unless it had a rock beat.
    I don't... The Milt Jacksons were strongly recommended to me by a Prog friend, so I'm hoping the 2 I bought (which he recommended) are heavy on Synths at least, since it appears by your comment that he never had a drummer play Rock style Drums on any of his albums.

The Jarrett albums are 'Piano only' albums and I like me some solo Piano

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    *REGARDLESS* of whether these LPs have been officially re-released on CD from the original master tapes without all of the RIAA limitations required to press an LP?
    oh ABSOLUTELY ... first and foremost because of the expense and

secondly because I digitally remaster albums in my own private sound studio to *my personal taste* which is generally better than commercially available CD reissues.

Thirdly, unless I'm doing it for someone in trade, I edit out all the turd tunes which if I never heard again in my life I would be just fine. On a commercially reissued CD I would have to scramble for the remote to skip said tune or spend time programming the play order every single time I wanted to play that album.

Fourth, I generally can get 2 LPs on 1 CDR and if the artist had a number of skip-able tunes I could get 3 on 1.

case in point, I may be getting 3 Tull albums (filed under J for Jethro JKL2000) on 1 CDR
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 01-17-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Journey
    I actually might have 3 Journey albums I could put on 1 CDR... but er ummmm I think The Jam, Junie or Jane might get done before them

k-den... it be Tull

tho I hoped the vote would go to Jade Warrior

I *do* need to revisit the classic Tull stuff
    last thing I remember is that Tull was just this side of VDGG on the obnoxious scale... but that was in the 80s... I'm sure I'll find plenty to like on TAAB and Passion Play at the very least

thanx to all who offered opinions!

I love The Jam! I am a completest with anything Paul Weller!

Library Jon

just an update...

finished TAAB and Passion Play, on to K which I've decided will be Kraan

hadn't heard any Tull in over 25 years and had bad memories of them being obnoxious to my ears back then (though not as obnoxious as Hammill/VDGG)

I am now glad that you guys voted Tull for my J artist because TAAB is one major piece of work and I have a new appreciation for that album now. Not so, Passion Play. My issue with Tull is Ian Anderson's vocals... he just wears thin very quickly and makes me wanna put on something else. But having said that, TAAB is definitely an enjoyable Symph album... not earth-shaking like PFM or Banco but very good. I'm glad I have TAAB on CDR now... coupled with an edited Passion Play clocking in at 24 minutes. A nice Tull CDR

on to the Kraan

1.Jethro Tull
    2.Jadis
    3.Bert Jansch

O RLLY WTF SRSLY OMG

Did Didier Lockwood's first 2 solo albums for letter L
    New World and Surya

I noticed that the dates are wrong for these on Gnosis. New World is DL's first album, released in 1979, it even says so on the liner notes of Surya (which was recorded later in the same year) but Surya is erroneously listed on Gnosis as 1977
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 07-29-2014 at 04:40 PM.

TWO J's has to be the winner - JELLY JAM!!!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

M is a labyrinth, though I've done digital remasters of quite a few artists already, so that's why the usual suspects are not listed below.

Of these that *are* listed below, which are your personal favorite?
    Tony Macalpine
    Madhouse
    Mandre
    Herbie Mann
    Mannheim Steamroller
    Phil Manzanera
    Bob Marley
    Pat Martino
    Hugh Masekela
    Matching Mole
    Material
    Matrix
    Jonny Mac (solo)
    Meat Puppets
    Pat Metheny
    Memphis Horns
    Steve Miller
    Phil Miller
    Missing Persons
    Montreaux
    Ronnie Montrose
    Moody Blues
    Vinnie Moore
    Mutiny

all other prominent Ms I have done digital remasters of my LPs already (I even bought CDs of my favs)

now I *know* that there are folks here at PE who enjoy many musical styles... which artist of that list most deserves digital remasters in your opinion and why?

It would be pretty miraculous if someone could remix Open Fire from the original multitracks but it's never going to happen...

Well I'm late to the page. For J's I would have probably picked Jade Warrior, but too late.

Of the M's listed, I have a fondness for Phil Miller.