Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: ABCDEFG HIJK LPs on CD

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    [*]Steven Miller's "Singing Whalesongs in a Low Voice"
    I have a copy you made me and it is a very good sounding CD-R. I wished I could find the other album he did around 1990. I've heard it was very good.

"Subterranea" (1997)? I have a copy. PM me if you want details.

[Edit: on listening again to it, I don't think this is the same guy. One is a guitarist associated with Windham Hill folks, the other is an electronic musician associated with David Dunn, Pauline Oliveros, Peter Gordon, Steve Peters. They're both "Steven M. Miller" but the "Whale Songs" guy (born November 8, 1956) only has the one LP out that I know of. He turned to producing & A&R afterward. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven...cord_producer)

The "Subterranea" guy -- Steven Michael Miller -- was born in 1965 and died in 2014. He has "Subterranea" and a 7-CD boxed set "Between Noise and Silence" out.

This website (https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/s...ler/id91866208 which reproduces the AllMusic.com article on him) is entirely incorrect. They're not the same guy at all.]

[Further edit: Wow, even the great Ben Fong says that Steven Miller did two albums:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLSXFy7PXsQ
    And every reference I've found to this mythical second album points to "Subterranea":
    https://lca.sfsu.edu/lcanews/2014/11...fame-induction

Odd. It ain't true. If there's another album from circa 1990 I can't find anything about it.]
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 09-14-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Yamashta's first two albums, "The World of Stomu Yamash'ta" (Nippon Columbia NCC-8004N, 1971) and "Uzu: The World of Stomu Yamash'ta - 2" (Nippon Columbia NCC-8015-N, 1971) -- which also happen to be the first commercial digital recordings ever made (January 11, 1971)?
    God DAMN. Pretty astonishingly-good recordings. After I finish cleaning them up they'll be in my pantheon of amazing sound.

Well blow me down. Somebody posted pretty good dubs of them to YT:
    heh... what is the quality of the Yoots... like 128 kbs? better than nuthin I guess
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

They're 1971 LP dubs, get real.

But yes, aside from the ticks & pops & surface noise & rumble -- which as you know, we can largely fix -- they sound amazing.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 09-14-2019 at 06:53 PM.

well still, if they were wav or even flac dubs they would be a lot better than whatever Yoot is... and you already know that I consider LP sound quality to be better than anything digital
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

These YT vids suffer not at all for FR or DR. And you know, people who say .wavs or .flacs are automatically "better" (for some reason) without specifying the relevant parameters drive me nuts.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 09-14-2019 at 07:09 PM.

These YT vids suffer not at all for FR or DR. And you know, people who say .wavs or .flacs are automatically "better" (for some reason) without specifying the relevant parameters drive me nuts.
    do you not agree that wav and flac are better than mp3?

I can't tell the difference with a 320. But my ears are 65 years old.

Also I've heard a lot of skanky .flac transfers. There's nothing magical about them. Garbage in garbage out.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 09-15-2019 at 08:07 AM.

The "Subterranea" guy -- Steven Michael Miller -- was born in 1965 and died in 2014. He has "Subterranea" and a 7-CD boxed set "Between Noise and Silence" out.
    Having now ordered and received and listened to "Between Noise and Silence", I have to admit ... it's not very good.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but all seven CDs and the DVD are grant-supported music, meaning it was funded by one organization or another, which means it didn't need to, and didn't try, to find an audience. The box is beautifully produced with a lovely 40-page booklet. It all looks very expensive and probably helps several foundations with their tax burdens.

But I kinda doubt I'll ever listen to it again.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    "Subterranea" (1997)? I have a copy. PM me if you want details.

[Edit: on listening again to it, I don't think this is the same guy. One is a guitarist associated with Windham Hill folks, the other is an electronic musician associated with David Dunn, Pauline Oliveros, Peter Gordon, Steve Peters. They're both "Steven M. Miller" but the "Whale Songs" guy (born November 8, 1956) only has the one LP out that I know of. He turned to producing & A&R afterward. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven...cord_producer)

This website (https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/s...ler/id91866208 which reproduces the AllMusic.com article on him) is entirely incorrect. They're not the same guy at all.]

[Further edit: Wow, even the great Ben Fong says that Steven Miller did two albums:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLSXFy7PXsQ
    And every reference I've found to this mythical second album points to "Subterranea":
    https://lca.sfsu.edu/lcanews/2014/11...fame-induction

Odd. It ain't true. If there's another album from circa 1990 I can't find anything about it.]
    Could be me misremembering. Allmusic Guide states his second album was indeed called 'Subterranea'.

You remembered correctly. Allmusic Guide (and Ben Fong and iTunes and everybody else) has it wrong.