Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bob Dylan Thread

15 date Japanese tour in April; 6 nights in Tokyo. Gonna be a busy 2014 for him.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Simply the best of the best. No one comes close.
    He's unique.

Zappa, Van Vliet, Tom Waits, Reed, Dylan--my favorite American rock composers/songwriters. Not sure how they all fit together nor how I rank them. I guess I see no point in comparing them.

But, yeah, Dylan is unique.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I played Highway 61 Revisited yesterday(after not spinning it in quite a while).

I almost felt like i was hearing it for the first time.All superlatives apply.Listening to this cd made my day even more enjoyable.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

dylan is the best!

He is a very good boy.

dill and bird.jpg
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I played Highway 61 Revisited yesterday(after not spinning it in quite a while).

I almost felt like i was hearing it for the first time.All superlatives apply.Listening to this cd made my day even more enjoyable.
    I can relate.My love for Highway 61 Revisited.it was years before King Crimson.
    Bob Dylan - North country blues

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post

It usually comes in at #3 on my list of favorites after TYA and CttE. But in my book the album is so unique that no superlatives apply.

When I look at my music collection and the preferences it shows, Dylan really shouldn't be there! But I have maybe a dozen albums and I love most of them.
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
    When I look at my music collection and the preferences it shows, Dylan really shouldn't be there! But I have maybe a dozen albums and I love most of them.
    Me too.

Funny aside... When a rolling stone interviewer asked Bob Dylan if he liked Obama, Dylan answered...

"He loves music, he dresses sharp, he's personable... What the fuck do you want me to say?"

http://t.mediaite.com/mediaite/#!/en...4f6789475da00a
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 01-30-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Me too.

Funny aside... When a rolling stone interviewer asked Bob Dylan if he liked Obama, Dylan answered...

"He loves music, he dresses sharp, he's personable... What the fuck do you want me to say?"

http://t.mediaite.com/mediaite/#!/en...4f6789475da00a
    I read that interview. I considered that an evasive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I thought it was pretty straightforward. He didn't want to talk politics.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I admire Dylan's answer. I consider it an insult to a career musician to be lead like this with questions concerning his political leanings. His music over the years has colorfully illustrated his disapproval with politics in general. In fact that disapproval has been his calling card... He's a rebel.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    I can relate.My love for Highway 61 Revisited.it was years before King Crimson.
    Bob Dylan - North country blues

Is that blind Doc Watson behind Dylan? I. don't think I've seen many pics of him as a young man.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I thought it was pretty straightforward. He didn't want to talk politics.
    okay

I admire Dylan's answer. I consider it an insult to a career musician to be lead like this with questions concerning his political leanings. His music over the years has colorfully illustrated his disapproval with politics in general. In fact that disapproval has been his calling card... He's a rebel.
    uh huh. I've always thought of him as a maverick
    Last edited by davis; 01-31-2014 at 12:10 PM.

I've always thought of him as a maverick
    Not sure if you meant that to be funny, but that made me chuckle. No offense, bro.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Guys like Dylan whose lives have been under a microscope since the burning 60s and are now well into their elder years may say something in an interview that contradicts something they said or did when they were 18... Most normal human beings go through many changes of opinion in a lifetime, changes in attitudes, changes in political or religious affiliations. Dylan is no different except that the entire world listens very closely every time he opens his mouth... He knows that... So rather than be pigeonholed for all time, he chooses to be evasive and reticent and defensive. Smart move I say. Plus it's quite entertaining to watch this shy minstrel quietly lash out when he needs to.

Q: So Bob... Is the answer really blowing in the wind?
    A: I just dont know for sure.
    Q: But in the 60s you said it was!
    A: Well if you had paid attention to the lyrics you'd see that I was telling that to my friend... Not you.

Shit like that. (My own example, he never said this). Not to mention that he also was a huge target during the J.Edgar Hoover era and watched as many of his contemporaries were detained or even deleted.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 01-31-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not sure if you meant that to be funny, but that made me chuckle. No offense, bro.
    why would I be offended if you got a chuckle out of something I said? I don't live on the Left coast. do you know what a maverick is, Hoss? in this case, #2. And I thought it would be obvious that this thread is a lighter side of Bob Dylan.

Full Definition of MAVERICK

1: an unbranded range animal; especially : a motherless calf
    2: an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party
    Last edited by davis; 01-31-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Guess I kind of leaned the thread into the dark side... But i'll always have room between my ears for Bob Dylans music.
    Still alive and well...

Guess I kind of leaned the thread into the dark side... But i'll always have room between my ears for Bob Dylans music.
    not at all. I agree with you. whether Ronmac was amused by it... I'm sure he will be/is/was

That vid with grizzly is great lol.
    Still alive and well...

the fun part starts at about 3:52

She does Dylans voice very well... haha
    Still alive and well...