Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Song endings that fade leaving you....unfulfilled, or satisfied

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar

Song endings that fade leaving you....unfulfilled, or satisfied

Perhaps this is a been there done that thread (I suppose most are )....I grabbed my Echolyn self-titled disc to listen on the way to work today. The first song on this Echolyn release, "Island", clocking in at 16:38, is to my ears an epic that stands with the best. It has plenty of the changes we like in our prog diet, soft parts, more intense parts, and....an ending that fades. Normally, I don't like fade-outs for song endings. They generally leave me feeling unfulfilled with respect to the listening experience.

However, with Island, I found myself feeling quite satisfied with the fading recurring melody (a lovely one at that) and vocals that bring the piece to a close. To my ears it was analogous to drifting away from an island you just spent some time on and thoroughly enjoyed.

So, this particular fading end works for me. What about you....what are those fades that leave you satisfied, and what are those that leave you unfulfilled - even a bit frustrated. As usual I suspect there will be plenty of agreements, as well as some IMH opinions that differ.

Very frustrating - New Age by Velvet Underground on Loaded. Lou Reed didn't like the producer's editing either.

Any Song / track fading in an instrumental solo

PFM "Traveler" on Jetlag
    Johnny Winter - I Love Everybody on Second Winter.

Many others

It's a great song and one of my favorites by them, but I don't think that Genesis had any clue how to properly finish Dancing with the Moonlit Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It's a great song and one of my favorites by them, but I don't think that Genesis had any clue how to properly finish Dancing with the Moonlit Knight.
    Really? Hmmm...I love that ending. It sort of allows you to decompress; it lets you down easy.

One of my favorite songs of all time, btw.

For me- a few pieces that come to mind that leave me unfulfilled, even though they are great:

Genesis- Vancouver, and Open Door

Tony Banks- A Curious Feeling. While the album is good- to me some of the songs are... a bit depressing. The album leaves me... undecided. Best way to describe it.

Yes- Long Distance Runaround

I will add, on the contrary- one track that I absolutely LOVE by Yes is Starship Trooper. The ending buildup and the guitars at the end... Just simply AWESOME.

Another by Genesis that leaves me fulfilled and still brings a tear to my eye; is Genesis-Home by the Sea and Second Home by the Sea, especially Mike's ending Guitar section on Second Home by the Sea.
    Last edited by 2ndsout; 01-15-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post

Yes- Long Distance Runaround
    For me this was the perfect lead in for The Fish..

One that bothers me is "A Venture" by Yes.

If 8-Tracks were still a viable medium, this thread would go on for a hundred pages

Yes-Yours Is No Disgrace.The ending leaves me very very satisfied.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Air Supply's Making Love Out of Nothing At All. Just as it's building to a peak, it quickly fades out. And for a Steinman song, it's short at 5:15. As much as I love the song, I always feel cheated. As if another minute or two was written but edited out. Great talented musicians but cut-off too quick to make it "radio friendly." I keep hoping there's a long version out there.

Queensryche's Real World. The last good song by this band and with such wonderful dynamics. But too brief at less than four minutes. It always leaves me thinking it was only halfway done. Like its the beginning of a better song.

Rush - Different Strings and Madrigal.

No Rush song should ever end with a fadeout.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post

I know what you are saying, because they actually structure an ending for every song -- I guess it gives us fans incentives to buy the live recordings to hear what they are

I agree about The Fish, it ends too soon.

Hatfield and the North at the end of Rotter's Club they have some live tracks (from Afters) and the very end seems like they are going to do something else and suddenly it just fades out. Also, on Zappa's Burnt Weeny Sandwich, after Little House... he says that they will attempt Brown Shoes Don't Make It but it fades out and we get a 50s doowop song instead.

One more off the top of my head, non prog, the studio version of St. Stephens (Grateful Dead) ends just before they are about to kick into The Eleven. I think they had originally planned on including The Eleven but they didn't.

I might be inclined to agree in general, but there are some Rush fadeouts that I prefer. Marathon is one. I also like how the fadeout on Losing It goes into Countdown.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Hatfield and the North at the end of Rotter's Club they have some live tracks (from Afters) and the very end seems like they are going to do something else and suddenly it just fades out.
    I can reassure you on that one (if you mean "Lything And Gracing") - they didn't go on to something else, it's just Phil Miller checking if his guitar is in tune.

My own vote goes to -
    Soft Machine - "Virtually" (LP version on "Fourth")

The sound seems to fade out just as something really interesting is about to happen. The atmosphere set up before that is just wonderful, esp. the wah-wah organ, and you just wish they'd keep it going for ten more minutes. But they don't.

I once complained to Hugh Hopper about that, and this was his reply -

"I never thought of writing an ending for it. It could have maybe gone on longer before the fade, but that's the way it happened in the studio - we were playing live really on the end section. I do like fades as a feeling personally."

I would still dream of hearing the unedited masters to see what really happened after that fade !
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

The fade out, a studio creation, does something that is not natural. In a way it makes the song infinite, going outside the parameters of normal song structure. Pop music since the 50's, as long as I've been listening to music, has regularly included this element so it is just taken for granted. There are rare songs where the fade draws me in because there is a solo or some exciting event just as it disappears- Those are the moments that make it something special.

A couple off the top of my head (many more in there somewhere, I'm sure)

Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell

Leslie Hunt - Open Your Eyes (or District 97's version for that matter)

...very surprised to hear "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight" listed.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The end of Soon always leaves me wanting more.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Van Morrison's Real Real Gone seems like it has another minute in it.

My favorite is "A Whiter Shade of Pale." Seriously? Fading out just as Gary Brooker launches into the passionate final chorus?? Unless this is just a single version and there's a longer version elsewhere.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    I'd go for 'Time To Get Out', second track of "Defector" by Steve Hackett. That one actually fades out during a splendid guitarsolo.

And 'The Space', closing track of "Seasons End" by Marillion. One without fade out where it should've had one. After the 'bang' at the end, I kinda except it'll go on, with a soaring guitarsolo a la 'Comfortably Numb', stretching this song easily to 10 minutes. Then this track would've been a classic, instead of just another (pretty good) Marillion-track.

The weird thing about Different Strings, is Alex starts soloing, but the track fades out almost immediately, before he really gets to wail. And I think he even admitted it at the time. I guess what happened was they decided to add the guitar solo after cutting the backing track, so there really wasn't enough there for him to solo over properly.

One that I always thought faded out way too soon was a song on Trevor Rabin's first solo album, a tune called Getting To Know You Better. It's another example where there's just a few bars of him soloing (the fade out was already in progress before the solo begins), and it's just like "What, can't you let the guy wail for a bit?!".

Another one like that was I Would Have Waited Forever on Union, which fades out on...well, it sounds like Steve Howe soloing, but as we know about that album, a lot of what sounds like Steve is for some reason actually a studio rat doppelganger/deputy. I did eventually hear a mix of the track that didn't have the fade out, and it turns out it only goes on for another 30 seconds or so. So whoever it was who played that solo didn't get much of an opportunity to wail either.

One that I don't like is the studio version of Pink Floyd's Sorrow. Onstage, Gilmour would stretch, eventually leading the back into a monstrous reprise of the song's intro. But on the album, it just fades out during the solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell
    Run Like Hell doesn't fade out.

On and one song that should have faded out was The Rolling Stones, Going Home, from the Aftermath album. Why on Earth they left the track unedited is beyond me. It would have made a great 3 minute song, but it goes on for a 8 minutes beyond that, which would have been fine if had been 7 minutes of Keith and Brian trading solos, but instead you got Mick reminding us that he's "going home" again and again. Dude, shut up, already! It's almost like somebody forgot the cue to wrap up the song (kinda like Jerry Garcia on virtually every live version of Casey Jones).