Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Song endings that fade leaving you....unfulfilled, or satisfied

Quote Originally Posted by jowallan lid View Post
    One that bothers me is "A Venture" by Yes.
    I completely agree. It sounds like Tony Kaye is just getting going on the piano when it all disappears. Frustrating.

I think the same about the studio 'Siberian Khatru'. Steve's playing some very interesting stuff as it all fades away.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Siberian Khatru, it fades out just as Howe's solo gets going.

Tank off of the first ELP album, it fades out in the middle of a really nice Emerson Moog solo.
    ...or you could love

Caravan: "Limits." It fades in and out, and sounds like just a piece of a whole song.

Also: Kraan's "Andy Nogger" (the studio version).

Much of 'Calling All Stations', especially the title track. What were they thinking??

Queen - We Are The Champions

The ending is pregnant with expectation that Freddie will end with a dramtic "Of the Woooooorld" But he doesn't, he ends on "Champions".

Very frustrating.

Donovan-Wear Your Love Like Heaven.I love the downward trending marimba line as the tune fades.Perfecto.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Family-Burning Bridges.The mandolin lends a poignant and touching vibe to a great fade(to a great tune).

Family-Crinkly Grin-Man, i'd have loved to hear them jam for a while longer on this track.It leaves me wanting more of the same.They were really getting into a hip, jazzy groove with Poli Palmer's fuzzed(?) vibes leading the way.
    Last edited by walt; 01-16-2014 at 07:02 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Queen - We Are The Champions

The ending is pregnant with expectation that Freddie will end with a dramtic "Of the Woooooorld" But he doesn't, he ends on "Champions".

Very frustrating.
    There is a similar thing with "Stairway To Heaven" if you compare the album version, which ends with Robert Plant singing a-cappella, and the live versions, which then go on to end in a more conventional way with a big "ending chord".
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Taking it Back, the b-side of Hold the Line, from the first Toto album, fades on a great keyboard solo, making it the most annoying fade-out of all time.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    My favorite is "A Whiter Shade of Pale." Seriously? Fading out just as Gary Brooker launches into the passionate final chorus?? Unless this is just a single version and there's a longer version elsewhere.
    There is a 6 minute version available. It was released as a bonus track to the first Procol album and shows up on a few comps. (The single was 4 minutes.) The primary difference is an additional verse, but there's no fade. You actually hear the song end (albeit, sloppily).

The Pink Floyd - Shine On is really just getting cooking when it fades
    Yes - Holy Lamb

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 01-16-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Just thought of another that really satisfies me with the ending.... A Day in the Life by The Beatles... that ending Piano Chord (played on Three Pianos at the same time) is just awesome, with it's fade and decay on the note. If you turn up the volume of your headphones or your stereo, as the Chord is fading away, you can hear sounds in the studio, including someone moving on their piano seat.

Overall- that is one that I have always enjoyed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_day_i...fe#Final_chord
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Another satisfying fadeout that came to mind for me is Gentle Giant's "Three Friends". After the workout of Mister Class & Quality, with no pause, Three Friends brings this marvelous album to a great close with it's repeating "gentle" melody, washed with organ, gradually drifting away from the speakers, but remains for some time in the head.

To my ears, another fadeout that satisfies rather than disappoints.

Since everyone is bring up a Yes Song, I'll do the same:

Starship Trooper---the solo on it is one of my favourite, and it builds and builds.....and then fades. No resolution. I like the live version for a resolution but the playing is sloppier that the studio version.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Here's one: Asia's "Eye to Eye." At the end of the song, Steve Howe is ripping it up via some very inspired neo-classical soloing. And then the song fades into nothingness. Well, so much for that; for a second, I thought that Howe was actually going to make Alpha kinda interesting. Glad to know that the Wetton/Downes team prevented THAT from happening!

La Tulipe Noire's album from last year, "Matricide", has several tracks that abruptly fade out. Annoying, but overall still a fine album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anything that fades out during a guitar solo is frustrating, because it feels like you're missing out on more soloing. Unless it's been going on for ages.

Supper's Ready just sort of peters out (album version)

"Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part 3." It should have ended with a big symphonic crash; letting Fripp and Belew's guitar duel simply peter out is just lame.

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Supper's Ready just sort of peters out (album version)
    This one doesn't bother me, as the "New Jerusalem" thing lends a feel of the fadeout representing an ascension from the corporeal.

I like happy endings.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Yes - Holy Lamb
    Agreed. That one needed another whole verse. It's a lovely song but a bit of a mess, arrangement-wise.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Agreed. That one needed another whole verse. It's a lovely song but a bit of a mess, arrangement-wise.

Double agreed. This was the first song I thought of. It has this great powerful section (HOLD THE LIGHT) and then a sort of interesting instrumental bit. To me, the song was screaming for a reprise of the Hold the Light section. In fact, when I first listened to the album and heard the song, I thought WTF, they just faded it out?.. It was like they said, "this album really isn't as good as 90125, so, let's just end the misery."

Plus, why was Holy Lamb the album closer? They should have switched it with I'm Running. I guess everyone but Jon hated the song and voted to put it as the last track.

Yes seemed to love fading out on guitar solos..

A Venture has Kaye's great piano romping and then you hear a little bit of Steve getting started, then fade out.

Same with South Side of the Sky - a great guitar solo that fades out. I have a Canadian import album that has a few extra seconds of the guitar solo.

Siberian Khatru - fade out

Starship Trooper - now this one, they could have started the guitar solo about 32 bars earlier. How many times did they really need to play that G Eb C riff and still, they fade out the solo?

Perpetual Change - fade out over guitar solo.

Fleetwod Mac - Rhiannon.

The studio/album version does a classic fade-out and you know that there is more to the song. When performed live, you get the huge ending that is missing.

"Dreams unwind...love's a state of mind."