Thread: Rock Candy Funk Party

Rock Candy Funk Party

Anyone familiar with them? I was channel surfing at 3:30 am Tuesday thanks to wonderful chest pains -I'm ok BTW, it was just enough to keep me awake. But I stumble across this group on the local PBS station and a show called Front and Center. I've seen it before, usually some annoying indy rock or hipster group, at least the times I've seen the show. But these guys could flat out play, some serious chops and an infectious groove to boot. I've heard the name of guitarist Joe Bonamassa, but this is the first thing I've heard him do. Just a killer lineup across the board, and you could tell they loved playing together, totally feeding off each other. Of course I'm watching this with the sound fairly low not to wake up the house, and at that hour I was just barely conscious. Any thoughts on them and their music, studio, live etc.? Amazing what you can discover at such a ridiculous hour.

I have their disc, and enjoy it, but will have to post later. It's a bitch posting from my phone.

I also have heard of Joe Bonamassa... thought he might have been Metal for some reason

gimme sum samples links!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Anyone familiar with them? I was channel surfing at 3:30 am Tuesday thanks to wonderful chest pains -I'm ok BTW, it was just enough to keep me awake. But I stumble across this group on the local PBS station and a show called Front and Center. I've seen it before, usually some annoying indy rock or hipster group, at least the times I've seen the show. But these guys could flat out play, some serious chops and an infectious groove to boot. I've heard the name of guitarist Joe Bonamassa, but this is the first thing I've heard him do. Just a killer lineup across the board, and you could tell they loved playing together, totally feeding off each other. Of course I'm watching this with the sound fairly low not to wake up the house, and at that hour I was just barely conscious. Any thoughts on them and their music, studio, live etc.? Amazing what you can discover at such a ridiculous hour.
    I am not familiar with this band, but I am very familiar with Bonamassa. I have all of his solo albums as well as all 3 Black Country Communion albums (Bonamassa, Glen Hughes, Jason Bonham, and Derrick Sherinian). In my opinion he is one of the best young blues / blues rock talents out there today. I saw him live in a club back before he got real big and he blew me away. This must be one of Joe’s side projects. If he is in it, I am sure it is good. I will have to check it out.

Steve Sly

OK, I'm forgetting how to post youtube videos, so here is an old fashioned link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQdzMom29MQ

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    OK, I'm forgetting how to post youtube videos, so here is an old fashioned link.

l]
    Pretty cool, I am not familiar with any of the other guys besides Bonamassa, but I like it.

Steve Sly

I'd buy their album
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I would swap one more BCC album for the myriad of Bonamassa solo and side projects.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I also have heard of Joe Bonamassa... thought he might have been Metal for some reason
    Man, living under some rock huh?

Bonamassa is one of the most well known blues / bluesrock guitarist around right now. And where a lot of guitarists always cite the originators as their source of inspiration Bonamassa has acknowledged that although he knows that stuff he found the guitarists of the British blues boom much more interesting. And you sure can hear that influence:

What the heck, another one from his recent DVD set (this one the Hammersmith Apollo set), check out the organ solo, who is this guy?