Thread: FEATURED CD: Toto Blanke - Spider's Dance

FEATURED CD: Toto Blanke - Spider's Dance

Here's a little obscurity from Germany with some nice moments on it.

Review from ProgNotFrog:
    Hard burning jazz rock splendor from one of Germany's masters of the game (and a relatively unheralded one at that), many of who's other titles, both solo and or as part of Association/
    Association P.C. and Electric Circus I've posted elsewhere on MS. In my recent post of Joachim Kuhn's Cinemascope LP, I'd failed to recall that the line-up of on that stellar album was almost exactly the same as the one here, the only difference being that legendary jazz rock all-star saxophonist Charlie Mariano (Embryo, Supersister...endless others) takes the guest seat here in place of Zbigniew Siefert and this is absent the orchestral shadings lent by Kuhn's brother Rolf and the orchestra he conducted. Instead, the focus of Spider's Dance is the taut chemistry between Blanke, Joachim Kuhn's dense, coloristic key clusters and vamps and the ferocious boil of American expats John Lee and Jerry Brown on bass and drums respectively. An integral piece of the Krautrock canon and one of Toto's finest hours. Not to be missed!

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I think it's his best one.

Heavy McLaughlin/Rypdal influence here, but Toto brings his own thing to this bad boy!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Excellent shit ...been hoping to find a CD of this for a long time!

Was this ever released on CD? I wasn't aware. I have the LP and, indeed this is pretty Great!

His Electric Circus: "PPG", and "Friends" (with Trilok Gurtu and a great bassplayer Norber Dömling) certainly also have their moments.
    I also like his stuff in Association P.C. a lot.

http://www.discogs.com/Toto-Blankes-...release/909760

This should be "featured album", as it was never released on CD (legit that is). Great album and I always liked that album cover.

Ah, that brings back a lot of memories. I used to have this LP back in the day, along with other German jazzers like Kollektiv, Thirsty Moon, Snowball, Sameti, Liliental, etc.

haven't listened to this one in years, but still have nice memories. Will try to find it later on, thanks!