Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Flash" vinyl release & 2014 news update

Banned
    To reiterate, Cleo claims copyright as a result of their 2009 phony contract with Peter Banks. Question is, how did Peter get the copyrights from EMI? Answer: He didn't. And anyone who wanted to know that could have discovered it in a...Flash.

Flash - featuring England's Peter Banks

Pretty much sums it up

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynoland View Post
    As for "In Public", ALL recordings by Flash--whether studio or live--while they were under contract to EMI in the 70's, were owned by EMI. EMI would have had to grant permission for the recording and broadcast, and they own the copyright. !
    I'm not convinced this is strictly true. Isn't it the case that if a third party arranges and pays for a recording of a concert (In agreement with both the band and the songwriters) then they own the copyright for that recording?

Not that any of this is really any of our business, but it would be interesting to know Vicky Powell's take on the legitimacy of the Esoteric reissues. I didn't buy the Flash reissues, but have bought lots of other Esoteric releases, great label.

Also curious to know, are the Esoteric reissues really identical to the One Way releases from the 90's, not remastered from original tapes?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Isn't it the case that if a third party arranges and pays for a recording of a concert (In agreement with both the band and the songwriters) then they own the copyright for that recording?
    No, not if you're under exclusive contract to a label. They control EVERYTHING. That's why you see things like "Tony Kaye appears under kind permission of "Atlantic" on Flash's first recording, for instance. Everything Flash did was controlled by EMI. They OWNED them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard
    Not that any of this is really any of our business, but it would be interesting to know Vicky Powell's take on the legitimacy of the Esoteric reissues. I didn't buy the Flash reissues, but have bought lots of other Esoteric releases, great label.
    Yes, it would. Vicky and I had a discussion on this forum some time ago about the issue and we've learned more since then. Apparently Esoteric licensed the releases, but from someone who had no right to license them (Cleo). When we found out about the releases and were told by Esoteric that the copyrights belonged to Peter, we told them that wasn't true, that they should contact EMI; but they carried on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard
    Also curious to know, are the Esoteric reissues really identical to the One Way releases from the 90's, not remastered from original tapes?
    You can remaster from digital recordings. Maybe Vicky can tell us more about that, too.

I think we all owe a shout out to the Miz, (George M), for his efforts in getting "In Public" out in the light of day

It's a great performance

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Wow. Now that you've been kicked off the "Peter Banks" Facebook page for your constantly negative and bizzare comments you really are carrying on with your method of order here. Why do you want to draw people into your desperation? Yet you still haven't proven a damn thing with your claims. In fact, I find it odd that your claims have only become public after Peter died. I also find it odd that you signed up for this forum website the same month that Peter died. How can you be so hateful and desperate over a dying mans last project or wish, and in the end it might only sell a few hundred copies. Do you really need to have that dark cloud over you? Or shouldn't you invest that energy into promoting the band as it is now. Ray and Colin have a right to carry on with their line-up of =Flash=, but you are not doing it any good with this constant bullcrap you are hell bent on. Personally, I wish Ray and Colin well with this Flash. I didn't like the album, but I liked the live videos I have seen. Sherry, you could really help Ray and Colin if you just cool it. How stupid are you to call out Cleopatra as above and then try and get people to buy a Cleopatra =Flash= CD that you endorse? Plus, you talk to Henry Potts as if you've never heard of him before, or at least in the last year since Peter died. Henry is one of the most brilliant sources for Yes related information for two decades. You are not telling him anything new. Finally, I know that the Flash One Way releases in the early 90's were legal. EMI received a fee from One Way. I helped set that up. All I got out of it was a free CD. I cannot imagine that Esoteric would issue any music without the proper rights. You are blowing smoke until you can prove it and you could set yourself up for a lawsuit unless you speak more carefully. Sherry, really, if you want an interesting 2014, make it a good one that's positive for Ray and Colin and furthering their music with dignity. I think if you invest your emotion in that direction then it could only be better. No one admires your Yoko-wannabe act.

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    News update:

We heard from Sony/ATV today (who now owns the publishing on all the vintage Flash catalog) with a full report of royalties from 2010 to mid 2013. Looks like publishing is being paid on the Esoteric releases. They report they will be looking into the bootleg and illegal aspects of all the Flash releases.

Still waiting to hear back on the next step from Universal who owns the copyrights.

The wheels of justice grind slowly. But surely.

On a happier note: here's a rehearsal clip of Flash at work on a new piece performed at ProgDay, but not yet recorded...Cheers, from Ray and Colin!