Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Accordions are hotter than ever

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great band Mike
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I should have loathed this like I did theother year's summer dance fads

But this is irresistible

Not an expert, but I don't think this is a diatonic accordion, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Prog and accordions can work.

Here is a track from little known Polish group Tune, who use the accordion with great impact, check out this track the use of the accordion to build to a crescendo. Very prog and very powerful!

"Kid Shreds on Accordion "

I'll get me da's old Cajun chromatic down from the attic then!

The great Guy Klucevsek-Flying Vegetables of the Apocalypse

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

People already mentioned Weird Al and Stolen Babies in this thread. I'll bring up Folk-metal band Korpiklaani. This band is pure fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    "Kid Shreds on Accordion "
    Awesome!

Accordion shred Brazilian style (stick it out for the supersonic speed ending):

I had a friend in the 90s that played accordion, Miss Murgatroid. Dark stuff, dark chick...

I went to Germanfest in Milwaukee this weekend and no band was complete without an accordion! I love ethnic music, beer, dancing... that's entertainment! Can't listen to prog all the time!
    (Sorry for the crap video)

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I had a friend in the 90s that played accordion, Miss Murgatroid. Dark stuff, dark chick...
    Alicia Rose.

I know her, too. Haven't seen her in years, and I'm not sure what she's doing now.

EDIT: Looks like she stopped doing music and went into film and photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Alicia Rose.

I know her, too. Haven't seen her in years, and I'm not sure what she's doing now.

EDIT: Looks like she stopped doing music and went into film and photography.
    Still in Portland from what I gather too....
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Ivo Popasov and his Bulgarian Wedding Music Band. Neshko Neshev is the accordion player, and he lets rip with solos and melodies that are astoundingly virtuosic.
    Oh yeah! Masterful.

I love this instrument.

Pest from Austria made two great albums which used accordian with guitar bases and drums to make a very electric instrumental music. Always difficult to find, I was pleased to see its now available on Bandcamp
    https://trostrecords.bandcamp.com/album/pest

This thread is making me wish I never sold my accordion. I owned a 3 reed Serinelli and sold it for a pittance when we were emptying my parents house for sale. Not that I would have played it often anymore, but it was a mistake to let it go so cheaply when I had so many childhood memories of playing it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Joe Zawinul - In the morning - 2001 (Lelo Nika)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Joe Zawinul - In the morning - 2001 (Lelo Nika)
    Accordion was actually Joe Z's first instrument, although he rarely played it after he moved to the States. But late in his career, he had a MIDI controller custom built, which he called Pepe, and which had button-accordion fingering. As was usually the case with the details of his equipment, he kept it a big secret and refused to talk about it.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 07-28-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Pest from Austria made two great albums which used accordian with guitar bases and drums to make a very electric instrumental music.
    I know a guy who once saw them perform somewhere in Germany, and he actually kept bragging about their use of accordeon. I've only heard one PEST album, but it was sorta noisy, post-punk, math-rock'ian semi-RIO with some serious chop to it. They remind me a bit of a couple of the Czech underground groups like early Uz Jsme Doma or Narajama, and those mythical Scots the Dog Faced Hermans.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

You sometimes see a keyboard player pick up an accordion during a concert for a tune, but I can't remember any time when I saw one do anything with their left hand other than move the bellows. Only a real accordion player can figure out those buttons. And don't get me started on a chromatic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    You sometimes see a keyboard player pick up an accordion during a concert for a tune, but I can't remember any time when I saw one do anything with their left hand other than move the bellows. Only a real accordion player can figure out those buttons. And don't get me started on a chromatic.
    Gustavo Moretto was the leader of Argentine progressive band Alas, and later an acclaimed contemporary composer in the field of music for films and stage. They guy was most definitely a "real" accordeon player:

Then there's the story of Salle Gaveau, one of Kido Natsuki's numerous projects (along with Bondage Fruit, Korekyojin, Opabinia et al.), whose trait is to explore the various theories of Astor Piazzolla to actually move "inside" the composer and create new music - now with Kido's electric axe attack added:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think a lot of the accordions bad rap might be because of their quite wide use in Polkas. That is not to say polkas are bad but they are a folky aquired taste in my book. I don't want to bash Lawrence Welk, but well I will. I often found his music to be insipid. Instead if you listen to groups like The Pogues and other Irish music you can find sweet and nearly heartbreaking beauty in them. Particularly when they are played together with a violin. That's my humble opinion anyway.

... and EROC (aka Joachim Ehrig), GROBSCHNITT's excentric drummer often used the accordion in his solo works, sometimes in a satirical and funny way. (Eroc Zwei). He even got a minor (major ?) hit with his accordion-based instrumental called Wolkenreise, which proves that this instrument is still greatly popular in Germany.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Pest from Austria made two great albums which used accordian with guitar bases and drums to make a very electric instrumental music. Always difficult to find, I was pleased to see its now available on Bandcamp
    https://trostrecords.bandcamp.com/album/pest
    We sold those albums for years and years. They were quite good.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    We sold those albums for years and years. They were quite good.
    And that's where mine came from! And I'm betting you had a few calls saying 'the paper insert is missing'!