Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Longdon (BBT) describes auditioning for Genesis......

I liked Calling All Stations and the full BBC live performance, which is overdue for release. I also enjoyed Ray Wilson's later live shows of Genesis material. The only disappointment for me was his resurrection of Stiltskin, with no original members apart from himself.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Why scratch head? IMHO it's too long with too many dull songs. I don't rate the likes of 'Small Talk', 'Shipwrecked' and 'If That's What You Need' and skip them every time. I thiink 'less is more' sometimes. That's what I was driving at.
    I love Calling All Stations all the way through. In fact, I might just listen to it now. It's a great piece of work. So, why skip tracks?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    The only disappointment for me was his resurrection of Stiltskin, with no original members apart from himself.
    Wasn't Nir Z a latter-day Stiltskin member?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I liked Calling All Stations and the full BBC live performance, which is overdue for release. I also enjoyed Ray Wilson's later live shows of Genesis material. The only disappointment for me was his resurrection of Stiltskin, with no original members apart from himself.
    Personally, I didn't care for the original Stiltskin album, but I did like the new one that Ray did a few years ago. I agree it wasn't really Stilskin per say, but it was good nonetheless. Really just an outlet for Ray to do some harder edged rock.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Personally, I didn't care for the original Stiltskin album, but I did like the new one that Ray did a few years ago. I agree it wasn't really Stilskin per say, but it was good nonetheless. Really just an outlet for Ray to do some harder edged rock.
    I loved that interview. Genesis fucked up, plain and simple. CAS isn't bad, vocals are not bad, but David is excellent perhaps a better vocalist than Phil or Peter. Listening to Judas Repentant now from Full Power, and nothing gives me goose bumps more than his expressiveness. Just freaking awesome.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I loved that interview. Genesis fucked up, plain and simple. CAS isn't bad, vocals are not bad, but David is excellent perhaps a better vocalist than Phil or Peter. Listening to Judas Repentant now from Full Power, and nothing gives me goose bumps more than his expressiveness. Just freaking awesome.
    I would have loved to hear Kevin Gilbert on a Genesis album.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    No one has mentioned "Full Power" has landed...how do the new songs rate?
    Do you mean the four new songs on Full Power that aren't on either of the English Electric albums?

If so, they are fantastic and as good as anything on each of those albums - or rather, they wouldn't be out of place on either album

Full Power is just about the most beautiful CD release, in terms of music and packaging, in my entire collection

Quote Originally Posted by Nov View Post
    Do you mean the four new songs on Full Power that aren't on either of the English Electric albums?

If so, they are fantastic and as good as anything on each of those albums - or rather, they wouldn't be out of place on either album

Full Power is just about the most beautiful CD release, in terms of music and packaging, in my entire collection
    Yes, that's what I meant. I knew those songs would be good.
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I would have loved to hear Kevin Gilbert on a Genesis album.
    Agreed, but that choice wasn't there when it was down to David and Ray.

Banned
    Agreed, but that choice wasn't there when it was down to David and Ray.
    So, they had Kevin in mind at the very beginning? Then, his death lead to other options?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

To each his own of course, but it does surprise me to hear CAS reviled so much. With Tony and Mike involved, there's usually at least something of interest.
    I was one who give CAS a couple of spins when it came out and then buried it. Wasn't impressed at all. Gave it a spin after about a dozen years and found stuff to love. It's flawed, but once I got passed that it's not with PC and give the new sound a chance, it's a good album. I wish they tried one more to iron some of the kinks out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    it's not with PC
    That's what makes it such a classic. Oh no, I'm starting to start like Rufus now.

So, they had Kevin in mind at the very beginning? Then, his death lead to other options?
    No these are just rumors and some imagination. Kevin's manager Jon got the okay for Kevin to have an audition when it was too late but according to Nick Davis, who I asked directly about this out of curiosity, they were barely aware of him in the process. Also, for what it's worth, knowing Kevin and how headstrong and opinionated (and talented) he was it probably wouldn't have worked unless they let him write the lyrics and co-produce it. I doubt they would have and he wouldn't have held anything back if he didn't like the songs. The interesting thing is that Nick D'Virgilio who did audition and got to play drums on some of the tracks didn't push himself as a vocalist and later Nick Davis and Tony Banks, when they finally heard his voice, thought that had they known he also sang he might have gotten the full gig as drummer AND singer. Crazy! I talked to NDV about it and he said he was of course happy he got to play on it at all which is a good attitude to have IMO.

Anyway, an album is only as good as its songs. Since it's subjective (and everyone is entitled to their opinion) I'd say that in all likelihood if you didn't like the tunes with Ray you probably wouldn't have liked them any more with either Nick or David singing instead. Same thing if you did like them with Ray you probably wouldn't like them any less with the other two singing. All great singers. But, what I find interesting is that both David and Nick create music with Big Big Train that you could almost imagine being a direction Genesis could have gone... sort of back to their progrock roots. I mean, I doubt they'd be breaking out the flute! Haha. Maybe. Probably not quite as far as BBT goes into 70s infused progdom. In any case I think David was pure class in this interview. In some ways it was meant to be and he has freedom to do what he does with the BBT guys and they must be doing something right! He got voted best vocalist in Prog 2013 and they've gotten a lot of well deserved praise (after a LOT of hard work). They did quite a bit together since he joined them in 2009 and it was with no expectations or pressure from anyone to be commercial or with any need to fill anyone's shoes. Worked out well! Plus he has a unique cool story... I mean how awesome would it be to have an experience like that???? Imagine being any one of these guys. He's lucky. So was Ray. So was Nick and Nir Z. A rare opportunity indeed. Also a great learning experience and sometimes you can't ask for more than that.
    Last edited by Squids; 01-13-2014 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    In any case I think David was pure class in this interview. In some ways it was meant to be and he has freedom to do what he does with the BBT guys and they must be doing something right! He got voted best vocalist in Prog 2013 and they've gotten a lot of well deserved praise (after a LOT of hard work). They did quite a bit together since he joined them in 2009 and it was with no expectations or pressure from anyone to be commercial or with any need to fill anyone's shoes. Worked out well! Plus he has a unique cool story... I mean how awesome would it be to have an experience like that????
    Exactly. And it would be perfectly understandable for him to have that little bit of wistful "Aww, coulda been...". But he seems to get that experiences like that can ultimately do more harm to a career than good because they knock you off a natural trajectory, which can be almost impossible to get back to. Just look at Ray Wilson.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Listening to Judas Repentant now from Full Power, and nothing gives me goose bumps more than his expressiveness. Just freaking awesome.
    That's what I'm talking about. There are some passages on this album that just blow me away. The last chorus of "A Boy in Darkness" for instance. A great powerful voice with a lot of soul behind it. There are moments that reach Freddie Mercury-like intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    That's what I'm talking about. There are some passages on this album that just blow me away. The last chorus of "A Boy in Darkness" for instance. A great powerful voice with a lot of soul behind it. There are moments that reach Freddie Mercury-like intensity.

I was interested in exploring BBT & Langdon until this Freddie Mercury comparison. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I was interested in exploring BBT & Langdon until this Freddie Mercury comparison. Oh well!
    Why don't you give it a try anyway and decide for yourself Rufus?

You never know -- you may be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Why don't you give it a try anyway and decide for yourself Rufus?

You never know -- you may be surprised.
    Have just listened to that Judas Repentent track on You Tube & my first comparison was to Gabriel which is no bad thing by any means!
    BTW, Langdon was voted best vocalist in the Prog Magazine polls!

I hate to have to clarify, but: He sounds nothing like Mercury. I was talking about a certain way (for those who like it), Mercury's voice could take a powerful musical texture and raise it about 10 notches. Anyhow, sounds like you've listened for yourself, which is a good thing.

Banned
    That and the other candidates were eliminated according to David.

I once tried to listen to CAS, but the rhythm on the first track was so thumping and silly, so I pressed the stop button very quicky, for safety reason.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I once tried to listen to CAS, but the rhythm on the first track was so thumping and silly, so I pressed the stop button very quicky, for safety reason.
    Thumping and silly? Are you sure that you didn't put on Invisible Touch by mistake? To me, a thumping beat implies dance music, and you can't dance to Calling All Stations. Also, the title track to CAS is certainly not silly. To me, Congo is silly, but I still like it.

I do like the title track & would certainly include it in a 'best of' compilation from the pop years!