Thread: Query: Earliest Feedback Playing on Record

Query: Earliest Feedback Playing on Record

The earliest example of the kind of feedback playing that would be later popularized by Robert Fripp, Steve Hackett, etc., might very well be Robbie Krieger's performance on "When the Music's Over" (The Doors, Strange Days, 1967). This song was a staple of their early years and was at least played live in 1966.

Can anyone think of an earlier example of this style of guitar feedback?
    Last edited by Splicer; 01-10-2014 at 07:16 AM.

I thought the Beatles' "I Feel Fine" was the first example.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Well, John liked to claim it was the first "intentionally recorded" feedback. But that was an effect; I get the impression the thread is about feeding back as music.

Les Paul or Raymond Scott, both late-'40s/early-''50s, would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, John liked to claim it was the first "intentionally recorded" feedback. But that was an effect; I get the impression the thread is about feeding back as music.
    I get the impression "I Feel Fine" it was "accidental but intentionally left in the record".....

The Who's Pete Townsend was probably one of the first (if not, "THE" first) to use electric guitar feedback with intent. I know "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" has it in the song, and I can tell he is definitely trying to use it as song "coloring" with purpose

EDIT: Here is the wiki - it seems to agree with me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anyway,_Anyhow,_Anywhere
    Last edited by klothos; 01-10-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Les Paul or Raymond Scott, both late-'40s/early-''50s, would be my guess.
    I seriously doubt Les Paul ever used feedback. Have you ever heard any of his records?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I seriously doubt Les Paul ever used feedback. Have you ever heard any of his records?
    Yeah, I'd have to hear that to believe it. He innovated a lot of things, but I don't think feedback was one of them.

Maybe Link Wray?
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

It's used on the Monks' 1966 album Black Monk Time.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Agreed well especially in rock music. Lennon worked during the ensuing takes to replicate the effect, which in the final version is actually produced by Paul's bass resonating an octave higher in John's pickup. They actually replicated this in concert afterwards.

There seems to be guitar feedback on the Anthology version of "Eight Days A Week" and bass feedback on "What You're Doing" or close to it all in 1964.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I get the impression "I Feel Fine" it was "accidental but intentionally left in the record".....

The Who's Pete Townsend was probably one of the first (if not, "THE" first) to use electric guitar feedback with intent. I know "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" has it in the song, and I can tell he is definitely trying to use it as song "coloring" with purpose

EDIT: Here is the wiki - it seems to agree with me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anyway,_Anyhow,_Anywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTSFAN View Post
    Agreed well especially in rock music. Lennon worked during the ensuing takes to replicate the effect, which in the final version is actually produced by Paul's bass resonating an octave higher in John's pickup. They actually replicated this in concert afterwards.

There seems to be guitar feedback on the Anthology version of "Eight Days A Week" and bass feedback on "What You're Doing" or close to it all in 1964.
    That's true. It was no accident. It may have started out that way, but it was certainly intentional to keep it in the song and it was in multiple takes. I was going to list that, too, but I thought the OP was about playing feedback as notes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's true. It was no accident. It may have started out that way, but it was certainly intentional to keep it in the song and it was in multiple takes. I was going to list that, too, but I thought the OP was about playing feedback as notes.
    Yeah, I know...It was one of those "Wow - Lets leave that in!" moments when it first happened, and then try to reproduce it with subsequent takes --- the difference is that it is in for production effect...On "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere", its more than production effect as it is actually used as the guitar part's phrasing (if one can call it "phrasing" ) like Jimi Hendrix and so many others did later.....Thats the difference...In that regard, I dont think there will be an earlier example (1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Maybe Link Wray?
    That's what I was thinking.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09