Thread: Genesis Selling England Blu Ray Audio

Genesis Selling England Blu Ray Audio

Apparently this is coming later in January. Interesting. Anyone know the details ?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Apparently this is coming later in January. Interesting. Anyone know the details ?
    Apparently it is only going to be a DVD-Audio disc and that's all... no visual extras or anything. Now that Universal bought EMI's back catalogue they are planning to release all of the back Genesis catalogue in this format.

I think I'll pass, and for me to say that; is hard; considering that I have been a Genesis fan for over 35 years, but with no new additional material that wasn't released in the Box sets from a few years back- what's the point?

http://www.genesis-news.com/news-Gen...uray-n385.html
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post
    Apparently it is only going to be a DVD-Audio disc and that's all... no visual extras or anything. Now that Universal bought EMI's back catalogue they are planning to release all of the back Genesis catalogue in this format.

I think I'll pass, and for me to say that; is hard; considering that I have been a Genesis fan for over 35 years, but with no new additional material that wasn't released in the Box sets from a few years back- what's the point?

http://www.genesis-news.com/news-Gen...uray-n385.html
    That summarizes how I feel.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Nobody knows the details, but everyone is assuming that it'll will be a re-hash of the 2007/2008 releases. Whatever your views on the stereo remix and the 5.1 mix, the SACDs have been strongly criticised for the compression and clipping that undermined the listening experience. It would be nice to think that criticism has hit home, that the Blu-Ray has the either the original stereo mix and/or the new mixes without the classless compression. The jury is out until someone gets their hands on this first release.

WeatherWiseCDC
    There's some talk of this over at the Steve Hoffman boards. Everyone over there is thinking along the same lines as jcarr73729.

Either way, the recent mixes are ugly.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Here's the Nimbus mastering of "One For The Vine" from the cropped-cover UK Virgin/Charisma album. I've rated the Nimbus as the best CD version of Wind & Wuthering available.

Set the resolution to 720p before playing. That has to do with YouTube's compression algorithms and whatnot.

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 01-10-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Apparently there is one for sale on Ebay currently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genesis-Sell...#ht_999wt_1001
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    Nobody knows the details, but everyone is assuming that it'll will be a re-hash of the 2007/2008 releases. Whatever your views on the stereo remix and the 5.1 mix, the SACDs have been strongly criticised for the compression and clipping that undermined the listening experience. It would be nice to think that criticism has hit home, that the Blu-Ray has the either the original stereo mix and/or the new mixes without the classless compression. The jury is out until someone gets their hands on this first release.
    Stop with the crap generalizations. Nobody who has heard the 5.1 mixes on a decent system has strongly criticized negatively. The stereo mixes were impacted much more by compression than the 5.1, by definition. These crap youtube stereo recordings are a joke too. There is no point in buying these unless you are going to listen to the DTS master Audio on a good system. Anybody who thinks for 5.1 DTS-MA is different than SACD, is just demonstrating stupidity. The only difference will come down to how one's system deals with one versus the other. And by the way, can your system really handle music which has a high dynamic range.

I have the blu-ray, and I think it's fine. If you have the 2007-08 reissues, is it worth buying again? I don't think so, but it's up to the individual to make that choice.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post
    Apparently there is one for sale on Ebay currently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genesis-Sell...#ht_999wt_1001
    Doesn't look like that is 5:1. Not all Blu-ray formats are, like I dissapointly discovered when I put DP's Made in Japan into my player!!

Personally I am only interested in Blu-Ray 5:1/DTS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Doesn't look like that is 5:1. Not all Blu-ray formats are, like I dissapointly discovered when I put DP's Made in Japan into my player!!

Personally I am only interested in Blu-Ray 5:1/DTS
    From a review on Amazon:

eview of Blu Ray Pure Audio Disc format only, 27 July 2014
    By
    Neil Pedliham - See all my reviews
    This review is from: Selling England By The Pound (Blu-ray Audio)
    I'm assuming anyone interested in this disc is going to know the music already so this is simply a review of the first of the new format that I bought.

I have the 2008 digital remaster CD for comparison which is not a bad disc as Redbook CDs go.

My sound system is mid to high end with a universal disc player going through a matching AV receiver, distributed to a subwoofer, 2 large floorstanding main speakers with a small double at the centre and small singles at the back and rear.

The packaging of this disc is pretty basic with nothing more than was on the CD really. The leaflet inside seems to have been put together in haste and with cost in mind (see if you can spot the mistake in the lyrics) and there's no detail about the content other than lyrics and one basic track listing. A bit disappointing.

But to the music itself. The options on the disc are:

2.0 stereo LPCM
    2.0 DTS Master Audio
    5.1 LPCM
    5.1 DTS Master Audio

I listened to all 4 versions back to back using one track only - The Cinema Show, as I feel this has the most variety of sounds and instruments.

I like to play all my audio discs (CDs, SACDs, BluRay) using analogue out from the player but because of the way this disc is set up, I had to launch it using HDMI out in order to get the menu on screen and then switch back to analogue. The normal colour button navigation does not seem to work for me on this disc and in the absence of any help from the inadequate sleeve notes, it was the only option.

Firstly, any one of these versions is a marked improvement over the CD with noticeable improved detail, separation and clarity. To my ears, there is no audible difference between the LPCM and DTS MA 2.0 versions. If pushed, I could say the DTS is everso slightly warmer but I think that may have been auto suggestion.

The real difference is in the multi channel versions. Again, no real sound difference between LPCM and DTS MA except, and this is important for anyone who like me has a 7.1 system, DTS maps the back speakers signal to the 6th & 7th rear speakers as well which I believe is what it's designed to do as this makes sense in a home cinema system. This might work OK for some people with certain music but for this disc it's very odd having a hi-hat sounding right behind you or the occasion backing vocal whispering in your ear. For this reason, I favoured the LPCM which is strictly 5.1 and makes more sonic sense to me and my set up.

I'm not sure whether this is a true 5.1 separation. For the most part what seems to be going on is that the centre channel is kept reserved for Gabriel's vocals or occasionally a Hackett guitar solo with the other tracks generally distributed around the sound stage. With the increased detail and separation, this is usually very pleasing. Occasionally a backing vocal might pop up in the surround but apart from that, there are no tricks as such like on the Yes Album Blu Ray for example.

What you get with this disc is without doubt a much improved listening experience over the CD. The aforementioned clarity and separation is very tangible indeed. For example, in the instrumental interlude in Cinema Show, previously it was hard to hear where the oboe left off and the flute took over but now you can hear two clearly separate instruments and what notes they are playing and with all the other sound effects, you can close your eyes and really lose yourself in the sound world that Genesis probably intended. In the quiet passages you can actually hear Gabriel's breathing. With the subwoofer on, Rutherford's bass and pedals are quite thundering at times but never overpowering. All in all, it's a really good effort, I just took a star off for the disappointing package.

I hope this new format takes off and we get to see some more titles soon. I can see the logic in the idea - "OK, 30% or more of the population has a Blu Ray player so are interested in Hi Definition; it stands to reason that a fair portion of them must be open to HD audio as well" - but what I don't understand is why it's all been so low key (I came across the format by accident). And why are virtually all of the releases from historic recordings and not recent ones which could really show off the format. I hope it doesn't fizzle out like SACDs because I for one am dismayed that whilst we've moved to ever increasing quality visually, on the audio front we've sleep walked into low definition rubbish and that's got to be reversed for the sake of all music.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Selling-Engl.../dp/B00GXQELGO

Firth - Thanks for the informed and detailed review of the Blu-Ray.

It's a pity you weren't as reasonable an hour before that. My comment is no generalisation. It is a fair reflection of very many opinions voiced over the years since the 2007/2008 releases. You are entitled to your personal opinion, but have the decency not to walk all over other opinions. If you'd bothered to read my comment properly, the "crap generalizations" were to lead up to a hope that the Blu-Ray would include a well-mastered hi-res version of the original stereo mix. That didn't happen.

The rest of your assumptions about me, my hi-fi, or the other listeners are based upon zero information.

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    I have the blu-ray, and I think it's fine. If you have the 2007-08 reissues, is it worth buying again? I don't think so, but it's up to the individual to make that choice.

Mike
    My surround sound processor handles LPCM a bit more transparently than it does SACD, so it may be worthwhile for me just based on that. May pick up one of these to see.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    Firth - Thanks for the informed and detailed review of the Blu-Ray.

It's a pity you weren't as reasonable an hour before that. My comment is no generalisation. It is a fair reflection of very many opinions voiced over the years since the 2007/2008 releases. You are entitled to your personal opinion, but have the decency not to walk all over other opinions. If you'd bothered to read my comment properly, the "crap generalizations" were to lead up to a hope that the Blu-Ray would include a well-mastered hi-res version of the original stereo mix. That didn't happen.

The rest of your assumptions about me, my hi-fi, or the other listeners are based upon zero information.
    Bottom line is that you should not include the 5.1 remixes in the general critique. And every negative critique has been based on the stereo version. And furthermore it is hollow to repeat other opinions about how these sound. What's important is how they sound to you.