Thread: Big Big Train and Beardfish

Big Big Train and Beardfish

http://bigbigtrain.blogspot.se/2014/...-2014.html?m=1

Sorta.

"We did have the option of stripping the tracks back to more basic arrangements for live performances, but we like the sound of the music we make these days and want to perform the songs in as full a fashion as possible. So, we've decided that we'll be aiming for performances with brass and strings and have been working hard on preparing a number of songs to test out in our August rehearsals at Real World studios. Once we're happy that everything is sounding strong, we'll be looking to make some announcements about a live show or two (not sure where yet but certainly in England to start with.) As we've previously mentioned, we'll also be filming the Real World performances for a Blu-Ray and DVD release at a later stage.

"In working through the songs, we've identified a need for a strong additional keyboard player, guitarist and vocalist. I am very pleased to announce that we will be joined at Real World and for live shows by the wonderful Rikard Sjöblom from one of our favourite bands, Beardfish. Rikard is a fine keyboard player, guitarist and singer and so is able to fill all of our requirements in one person. He is a also a top chap which is very important to us."
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Well, that's great news as far as I'm concerned. The world could always use more Rikard. That guy is a genius.

Definitely interesting news!
    <sig out of order>

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    I wonder what Andy Poole and Gregory Spawton will be doing on stage. Andy Poole used to be the bassist, but that was taken over by either Greg or Danny Manners. Greg was the guitarist but he nows funny enough plays more bass in favour of guitarist Dave Gregory. Hell, Greg was even the sole composer, but that's also a job taken over at least half by David Longdon.

I respect these two guys immensely. All for the music, no ego whatsoever. Stepping down in favour of what they perceive is the best for BBT. Greg is still in presume the leader, and Andy is still the producer responsible for that warm, fuzzy, 'English' sound.

I sure hope they will use Sjöblom on studio-recordings too. And Real Worlds Studios? Hope Peter Gabriel drops in, to find out there's more than Elbow out there if talking about English fine music.

Ever watched the Make Some Noise video? I think that pretty much shows you what the respective members of BBT will do on a live stage. In this case Andy will probably be doing acoustic guitar parts, probably some keyboards and vocals. But they have the option of him playing bass with Greg doing extra guitar parts but hey, they also have Sjoblom now on hand.

I love the fact that they make the sound 'as full as possible' rather than stripping down. And teaming with Rikard sounds like a great idea. Almost like a supergroup with all who are involved

Not sure I'd like a BBT album with Rikard; I'd much rather have a new BBT and a new Beardfish. But I'm definitely pre-ordering the live album/DVD/t-shirt/beer supercombo.

By the way, Rikard on just guitar and keys? How 'bout some accordion on "Uncle Jack?"

From Rikard's FB: "While David is mixing the upcoming Beardfish album, I'm preparing for the upcoming rehearsals with Big Big Train at Real World Studios in august. Here's a video!"

Where can I get a sweet Beardfish tee?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well, that's great news as far as I'm concerned. The world could always use more Rikard. That guy is a genius.
    Indeed!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've said this before, but Rikard is - in a way - the Swedish Mike Keneally. Fantastic keyboardist, fantastic guitarist, and has a noticeable Zappa influence. Most significant, he can learn and put together hard material like it's nothing, so he's never lacking for sideman work.

Autobuy
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Where can I get a sweet Beardfish tee?
    Ray Laboda and Jim Robinson were selling the T he has on in the video at ROSfest. I bought one. You might contact one of them to see if they have any leftovers.

"Apologies from the band for a recent lack of email updates. Over the summer, the mailing list grew too large to manage using our Outlook email client and we were no longer able to send updates. We have now moved the mailing list onto purpose-built software and will be able to provide more regular updates.

"Unfortunately, the failure of our mailing list coincided with the announcement of three Big Big Train gigs at Kings Place in London next year. All the tickets for these shows have sold out but we will be playing further gigs in future years and will ensure early warning via the mailing list and social media.

"Big Big Train filmed live performances of a number of songs at Real World studios in August 2014. These performances will be released on Blu-Ray and DVD in the autumn of 2015. At Real World, the band were joined by Rachel Hall on violin and vocals and Rikard Sjöblom on guitars, keyboards and vocals. We are pleased to announce that Rachel and Rikard have now joined both the live and recording line-up of the band.

"The band has written around two hours of new songs. Recording of these will be completed for album releases in 2016 and 2017. An EP, featuring three new songs, will be released in April 2015.

"We would like to take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!"

Andy, Danny, Dave, David, Greg, Nick, Rachel and Rikard
    Big Big Train

chalkpie
    He's a Shrimpboat Captain of the highest order. Must be amazing to see Real World.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    I wonder what Andy Poole and Gregory Spawton will be doing on stage. Andy Poole used to be the bassist, but that was taken over by either Greg or Danny Manners. Greg was the guitarist but he nows funny enough plays more bass in favour of guitarist Dave Gregory. Hell, Greg was even the sole composer, but that's also a job taken over at least half by David Longdon.

I respect these two guys immensely. All for the music, no ego whatsoever. Stepping down in favour of what they perceive is the best for BBT. Greg is still in presume the leader, and Andy is still the producer responsible for that warm, fuzzy, 'English' sound.

I sure hope they will use Sjöblom on studio-recordings too. And Real Worlds Studios? Hope Peter Gabriel drops in, to find out there's more than Elbow out there if talking about English fine music.
    And Gabriel should meet Longdon, his almost second replacement.