Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Yes Soundboards.....

Here's what someone over at Yesfans said a couple years back about QPR:

"The track we have been listening to all these years is actually on the film as an sync up verification track to check & make sure the time code is running right that is why the mix is so bad and things come in and out, it was never meant to be the soundtrack and Eddie didn’t mix it that was front of house or what the audience heard which is not what you are hearing here. This is what is called a scratch track and not for public consumption as you can tell."

Quote Originally Posted by elliottnow View Post
    Here's what someone over at Yesfans said a couple years back about QPR:

"The track we have been listening to all these years is actually on the film as an sync up verification track to check & make sure the time code is running right that is why the mix is so bad and things come in and out, it was never meant to be the soundtrack and Eddie didn’t mix it that was front of house or what the audience heard which is not what you are hearing here. This is what is called a scratch track and not for public consumption as you can tell."
    Well, that makes sense. Nice punctuation, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post

As for Moraz's tuning on the Mini-Moog, he used so much portamento all over the place, that's it's hard to tell how the thing was tuned!
    There's one particular point in Close To The Edge where the Mini-Moog is most definitely out of tune. When he goes into that synth bit during the I Get Up I Get Down, you definitely hear that one of the oscillators weren't tuned correctly, and after the first couple notes, Moraz adjusts it, but it's still a bit out. Back in the early 70's, Moog instruments were notorious for their unstable oscillators (for instance, on side one of Tangerine Dream's Phaedra, you can hear Chris Franke retuning the Moog modular synth at one point), whereas ARP were apparently known for their relative lack of drift.

I've never really had a problem with the way Moraz played the Wakeman era material. The one thing that sounds not quite right is the organ bit on I Get Up I Get Down, but that's because he's actually playing live on a Hammond, whereas during the Close To The Edge era, they had the pipe organ bit on a tape.

I remember someone telling me that on the 76 solo albums tour, they did Heart Of The Sunrise, and I guess Moraz didn't play the descending piano bit "correctly" (neither did Tony Kaye, for whatever it's worth), but I'm not sure I've actually ever head it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There are also some great ones from the 90125 era. There's a great FM broadcast from Dortmund, Germany '84. Killer stuff.

I was there, Jimmy Page guested on the encore but was cut from the Westwood One radio show that I have.
    Where any of the shows from the Yessongs album with Bruford on the kit ever released on a 'boot'?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Were any of the shows from the Yessongs album with Bruford on the kit ever released on a 'boot'?
    Wikipedia says " The two tracks from the Fragile tour featuring Bill Bruford are generally assumed to come from the NYC Academy of Music shows on 19 and 23 February 1972 (based on text in the 1973 Australian Tour programme)."

I've always wondered if the band recorded the rest of whatever show those tracks came from, since they sound good. But I've never heard any more songs from those shows.

I gave up hope long ago that ELP would release a video from a BSS show with all the Gieger lady curtains, the video screen and the killer lighting rig they had. I've also given up hope that the full Cal Jam show will ever turn up (legally or otherwise), at this point I think it's clear that the unused footage was discarded. Even getting audio only stuff from the BSS tour is tough, there's only about 20 out of the 107 shows they did on that tour that circulate. Guess they were pretty successful in preventing people from taping the shows.

You Yes fans are lucky!
    Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 01-10-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    Wikipedia says " The two tracks from the Fragile tour featuring Bill Bruford are generally assumed to come from the NYC Academy of Music shows on 19 and 23 February 1972 (based on text in the 1973 Australian Tour programme)."

I've always wondered if the band recorded the rest of whatever show those tracks came from, since they sound good. But I've never heard any more songs from those shows.
    Also wondered the same thing with the Moraz Yesshows tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Also wondered the same thing with the Moraz Yesshows tracks?
    Several other tracks from that show (Cobo Hall '76) were included on disc 3 of "The Word Is Live." I'd love to have that entire show packaged together properly.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post

Of course, they have to have recorded all of those shows. The question is : who took care of the tapes ? Have they been lost or detroyed ? Possibly that's the case. You'll notice that what they ended up using was the two songs ("Long Distance/The Fish" and "Perpetual Change") they stopped playing after White joined. It's exactly what happened with Genesis' "Seconds Out" - they used "Cinema Show" with Bruford because they no longer played it with Thompson. The original plan (see Armando Gallo's book) was to do an entire live album from the 1976 tour. I'm sure they had plenty enough recordings to make a double live album from the shows with Bruford, but once White had joined there was no point in doing that, so they only used what they *had* to use to fill a triple.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I gave up hope long ago that ELP would release a video from a BSS show with all the Gieger lady curtains

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I had the impression that it was legally legit (ie the firm that released it didn't actually break the law), but it wasn't actually authorized by the band, their representatives or anyone from Atlantic Records. One story I heard was the band fought in court to keep it from having an international release, so I'm guessing there was perhaps loophole in the copyright law that allowed it to be released in Japan, but not in the UK or US.
    I had the band sign my laser disc copy many years ago at a book store in NYC, the first to sign it was Steve Howe, who signed it, flipped it around, checked out the back in detail (it actually was two separate discs, I just gave him the second volume), said to Jon, "this is interesting, check this out," who also looked it over for what seemed like a long time, but then turned it over and signed it as well, passing it along to Alan White, ect. I got a bit nervous for a second and definitely got the impression the band didn't know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    An important boot to me tho, I purchased it along with Genesis, "Bedside Yellow Foam", (Massey Hall 73) and the Pink Floyd's "Astral Projection" as my first live RIO's and they started my then obession with collecting live shows in the 70's and onward
    Not to stray off-topic, but that Genesis Massey Hall show was a source of entertainment for my friends and I, particularly the intoxicated guy nearby in the audience who yells "OH YEAH! MY FAVOURITE ONE!" when they start playing "Supper's Ready".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I'm sure they had plenty enough recordings to make a double live album from the shows with Bruford
    I wouldn't be so sure. AFAIK, the Fragile tour had the only Bruford-era shows that were recorded with the intent to make an album (not recordings for radio, in other words). However, Yes was an opening act on most, if not all, the Fragile shows and never played for more than an hour. There wouldn't have been enough material for a double album.

On the other hand, wasn't the original plan for Fragile to have a second, mostly live, disc that would have included the full "America?" I don't know if there were live recordings made for that purpose.

You'll notice that what they ended up using was the two songs ("Long Distance/The Fish" and "Perpetual Change") they stopped playing after White joined. It's exactly what happened with Genesis' "Seconds Out" - they used "Cinema Show" with Bruford because they no longer played it with Thompson.
    They played Cinema Show when I saw them during "And then there were three" tour..
    I went back and re-read your post... my bad... obviously And then there were three tour was after Seconds Out album was release.... very possible that tour was first time it was put back into the set list.. so foot firmly inserted into mouth.. sorry..
    Last edited by happytheman; 01-12-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    They played Cinema Show when I saw them during "And then there were three" tour..
    I believe I saw a clip of that on YouTube from The Mirrors tour.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I went back and re-read your post... my bad... obviously And then there were three tour was after Seconds Out album was release.... very possible that tour was first time it was put back into the set list.. so foot firmly inserted into mouth.. sorry..
    The Cinema Show was only played in it's entirety on three tours: Selling England, Trick, and And Then There Were Three. After that, they only bits of it in the medley.

Banned

Someone posted this on the Yes:Fans Tolerant Of All Incarnations Facebook page. So, I thought that I would post it here(and on my YouTube channel). What do you all think?

I think "Does it really happen?" is a great concert opener.

The harmonies weren't working that night, but other than that, a pretty good show. Unreleased song (Go To This), Downes doing some Buggles in his solo, an early version of Fly From Here too. It's a lot like 'The Age Of Buggles' boot CD, good but not amazing. Definitely a rare look at an unusual version of Yes. rating -- 6 out of 10 caped crusaders

Of course, they have to have recorded all of those shows. The question is : who took care of the tapes ? Have they been lost or detroyed ? Possibly that's the case. You'll notice that what they ended up using was the two songs ("Long Distance/The Fish" and "Perpetual Change") they stopped playing after White joined. It's exactly what happened with Genesis' "Seconds Out" - they used "Cinema Show" with Bruford because they no longer played it with Thompson. The original plan (see Armando Gallo's book) was to do an entire live album from the 1976 tour. I'm sure they had plenty enough recordings to make a double live album from the shows with Bruford, but once White had joined there was no point in doing that, so they only used what they *had* to use to fill a triple.
    Christmas Day 1976 I got an 8 track recorder and that night the local rock station played an entire show from the Genesis 76 tour with Bruford. I threw a clunky tape in and recorded the whole thing...unfortunately it's long gone and I never had the chance to dub it to cassette. It was fantastic and I much preferred it to the official Seconds Out release. The combo of Bruford & Collins was amazing and while I think Chester Thompson is a fantastic drummer, I much preferred his work with Frank Zappa circa '74 to anything he did with Genesis. Also, one of the unusual songs I recalled them playing on that 76 tour was White Mountain. I wish I had that darn tape now
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Christmas Day 1976 I got an 8 track recorder and that night the local rock station played an entire show from the Genesis 76 tour with Bruford. I threw a clunky tape in and recorded the whole thing...unfortunately it's long gone and I never had the chance to dub it to cassette. It was fantastic and I much preferred it to the official Seconds Out release. The combo of Bruford & Collins was amazing and while I think Chester Thompson is a fantastic drummer, I much preferred his work with Frank Zappa circa '74 to anything he did with Genesis. Also, one of the unusual songs I recalled them playing on that 76 tour was White Mountain. I wish I had that darn tape now
    If you can figure out the date or location, it's likely out there. There's a great FM broadcast from Pittsburgh.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    It is likely that the show you recorded (Genesis), was the Syria Mosque show in Pittsburgh, PA. That shows frequently makes the rounds.

Re: YES
    I have many; my faves are:
    - Long Beach '77 - best CTTE ever.
    - Quebec '79 - best Awaken that I own
    - Merriweather Pavillion "Yesstorm" - CTTE tour. Fantastic short set show. Wakeman en fuego.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Jersey '76 is a radio show (WNEW) rather than a soundboard but a nicely remastered version was released (so to speak) a few years ago and sounds great. .
    If that's the "Affirmary" boot, it's my favorite. GOD on there blows away the Yessongs one.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Several other tracks from that show (Cobo Hall '76) were included on disc 3 of "The Word Is Live." I'd love to have that entire show packaged together properly.
    The remaining unreleased tracks are available on a couple of sites, there's a CD known as the unreleased Detroit tracks...

1.01 I've Seen All Good People (8.11)
    1.02 Long Distance Runaround ~ Moraz Solo (7.26)
    1.03 The Clap (5.44)
    1.04 Harp Solo (3.32)
    1.05 Heart Of The Sunrise (14.52)
    1.06 Roundabout (8.47)

These tracks combined with the Gates and Ritual from Yesshows and the 3 tracks from The Word is Live gives you the full show....I think.

Quote Originally Posted by refugee View Post
    The remaining unreleased tracks are available on a couple of sites, there's a CD known as the unreleased Detroit tracks...

1.01 I've Seen All Good People (8.11)
    1.02 Long Distance Runaround ~ Moraz Solo (7.26)
    1.03 The Clap (5.44)
    1.04 Harp Solo (3.32)
    1.05 Heart Of The Sunrise (14.52)
    1.06 Roundabout (8.47)

These tracks combined with the Gates and Ritual from Yesshows and the 3 tracks from The Word is Live gives you the full show....I think.
    Those above tracks are from an audience recording, no?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."