Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog Magazine goes mainstream?

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I remember reading that review - I thought it was an objective piece of criticism, and certainly wasn't a nasty review. The whole thing blew up afterwards only because Tillison took offence (understandably) and was very vocal about it. Writer and artist have since met up and discussed the matter amicably.

IMHO there's no point reviewing an album if the reviewer is going to be hesitant about offering an honest appraisal for fear of fan backlash. In this particular case I thought the review calmly and professionally pointed out this particular release's flaws.

I don't always agree with Prog's reviews, but they generally come across as considered and respectful to the artists without resorting to the gushing praise that puts me off so many online reviews.
    I agree with all of that. "Nasty" was a bit strong on my part. And for the record, the comments about how the band looked in the DVD were not entirely off-base. Though, it was a fan club product, so it didn't really need to be run through the microscope. All's good though.

New issue just out here in the UK.

Main feature is on supergroups (Transatlantic, Asia etc), but also stuff on Ambient/Electronic music, and the readers' 2013 poll (no surprises for guessing whose band swept the boards....).

Nice selection of bands on the sampler cd too.

Any sightings at US newsstands of last month s issue, the one before the Rush cover? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Any sightings at US newsstands of last month s issue, the one before the Rush cover? Thanks.
    The last one I got was the Pink Floyd issue. Is there one more than came before the current RUSH one? To be honest, I have lost a lot of interest in the magazine, and have skipped a few issues recently.

Yes, the cover was 1974. I wonder if they lost another distributer? Interested as I am not interested in a subscription.

I was getting the magazine electronically on the Nook for much cheaper, but a few months back they stopped showing up. Something definitely happened with the digital distribution, but I never got a good explanation. I did get the remainder of my subscription refunded at least.

If they cannot consistently get it to newsstands or nooks, I am hesitant to pay for the print sub.

The just published Issue 52 is the Rush cover; Issue 51 was '1974 theme'; Issue 50 was the 'Pink Floyd Is Dead' Endless River edition.

The release of each new Prog is no longer flagged up in the regular Burning Shed emails, so something seems to have changed in the distribution somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    The release of each new Prog is no longer flagged up in the regular Burning Shed emails, so something seems to have changed in the distribution somewhere.
    Actually, the Rush issue is plugged in today's BS email.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Actually, the Rush issue is plugged in today's BS email.
    Ah, double good. Haven't received that email yet. The previous 2 issues I'm pretty sure weren't mentioned in the emails as they normally are so I suspected something was up, and even that Prog might have been on its last legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Boyd View Post
    What a crap magazine this is - sycophantic reviews and features that never offer objective
    constructive criticism - it's like a prog rock old boys club.
    Quote Originally Posted by izz_brian View Post
    I know of at least ONE band that didn't receive a sycophantic review. I wouldn't accuse the author of offering objective, constructive criticism, to be clear -- but the review was certainly not filled with praise.
    was the band in question something other than Brit Symph style Prog?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Oh they're much more eclectic than that. Anything Kscope could ever think of releasing may get a green light. Just don't get too "advanced/alien" or un-Anglosaxon.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Guys. ..I'm guessing that Brian is referring to his own band.

then it was
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    If they cannot consistently get it to newsstands or nooks, I am hesitant to pay for the print sub.
    They changed their digital distribution method when they relaunched with much better mixed media. They sent out an email with instructions. I followed them. It worked just fine.