Thread: R. I. P. Phil Everly

R. I. P. Phil Everly

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    RIP
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

One half of an act that influenced and inspired too many artists to count, but you can start in Liverpool.

RIP Phil! You & Don were way better live than in the studio.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The Everly’s were a little bit before my time, but I actually kind of accidently saw them live once back in the 90’s. We were at Summerfest in Milwaukee, walking around to the different stages checking out different bands, and The Everly Brothers happened to be playing one of them. They were about to come on, so we decided to stick around and check out the beginning of their set. Their backup band came onstage first and the guitarist was just shredding. I remember saying to my wife, “that guy plays just like Alvin Lee”. Turns out it was Alvin Lee as he was the Everly’s lead guitarist and bandleader at the time. We ended up sticking around for the whole show and to my surprise I knew just about every song that they did. It was quite enjoyable, and I came to realize just how much of an influence these guys must have been back in the day.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Everly’s were a little bit before my time, but I actually kind of accidently saw them live once back in the 90’s. We were at I remember saying to my wife, “that guy plays just like Alvin Lee”. Turns out it was Alvin Lee as he was the Everly’s lead guitarist and bandleader at the time.
    Steve Sly
    You sure you're not thinking of Albert Lee? I've never heard of Alvin Lee playing with the Everly's, although I do know that Albert Lee has a long association with them and was the music director of their 1983 reunion. I saw Phil & Don, along with Albert Lee, Leo Kottke, and Chet Atkins, all on the same stage at one time in 1988 at Radio City Music Hall (Prarie Home Companion 2nd Annual Farewell).

Getting to see the Everly's was on par with the time I saw Simon & Garfunkel on their first reunion tour.

RIP Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    You sure you're not thinking of Albert Lee?
    RIP Phil.
    Oops.....yes, I meant Albert. I had been familiar with him through his playing with Claptin and The Crickets back in the day, but did not know of his association with the Everly's at the time.

Steve Sly

A great loss. The Everly Brothers were a huge influence on the 'British Invasion' sound, with those wonderful harmonies genuinely inspiring a generation over here.

I always particularly liked 'Cathy's Clown' and 'Walk Right Back', both were huge hits upon original release. But they were still making great records into the 70s and beyond, 'Green River' is a good later one.

Oops.....yes, I meant Albert. I had been familiar with him through his playing with Claptin and The Crickets back in the day, but did not know of his association with the Everly's at the time.

Steve Sly
    This is kind of wierd.......it is 3AM in the morning just flicking around channels and here on palladia is a Crickets re-union concert with Albert Lee and special guest Brian May.

Steve Sly

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    This is kind of wierd.......it is 3AM in the morning just flicking around channels and here on palladia is a Crickets re-union concert with Albert Lee and special guest Brian May.
    Steve Sly
    Earlier tonight, Nova Scotia musician Douglas September posted a vid on FB of the Everlys performing with the Crickets backing them, from a year and a half after the Buddy Holly plane crash, and he didn't say why. Now I know.

Sad news. Will be playing The Greatest Hits of The Everly Brothers CD today. So many great songs. RIP Phil.

RIP

Never been a big fan of the Everlys but I always loved their tight harmonies. I should get at least a cheap compilation just to have all those hits. Favorite EB song is Cathy's Clown. Yeah they were very influential. We hardly ever talk about them when we get into these conversations about 50s rock and R&R history. Sad that one of 'em had to die.

RIP

Not sure if there would have been a Simon & Garfunkel without the Everlys.

A HUGE loss.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Always loved the Everlys, thanks to my 50s-loving father. Probably my first introduction to harmony, and man, could they ever harmonize. So many great songs.

R.I.P.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    In addition to influencing Simon & Garfunkel, the Everly Brothers were idolized by the Hollies, also known for their vocal harmonies. Some great and timeless songs, too. Rest in peace, Phil.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Don't forget this McCartney-penned gem

RIP Phil, you really did sing like a bird
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned

I wonder if my mom(who is 69)heard about this yet. I know the Everly Brothers were a huge influence on Simon and Garfunkel. I liked them but to be honest half the time I probably got them mixed up with the Righteous Bros. Whoops. ANyway, RIP Phil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I liked them but to be honest half the time I probably got them mixed up with the Righteous Bros. Whoops.
    Totally understandable. Sometimes I get 'em mixed up with the Allman Brothers, the Brothers Johnson and The Marx Brothers, but mostly the Kinks. Whoops.

What a great duo the Everlys were. So sad to see Phil go. Their number "Take a Message to Mary" as got to be one of the saddest songs ever.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.