Thread: Mike Rutherford autobiography published this month!

Mike Rutherford autobiography published this month!

Called 'The Living Years'. He does a Q&A feature in this months Classic Rock magazine
    Here's what he says about a Genesis reunion-"I really don't know. My philosophy is to never say never. But if we were to do it as a five piece, with Peter Gabriel singing, that would be a bit tricky. TLLDOB for example, is told from from the perspective of a young man, which of course Peter was when we recorded the album". So he dosnt give much away there then!!!
    Surprisingly he says that Supper's Ready & Turn it on Again best represent the bands career, the latter because by the time of Duke the band had learnt to write snappy & catchy songs.It's just that for the longest time they were no good at it!
    Last edited by Rufus; 01-03-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Kind of ridiculous to say that Peter is too old because the narrator of Lamb is supposed to be young. Is Bob Dylan too old to sing Rainy Day Women?

WeatherWiseCDC
    I wonder if he'll mention this:

^ never heard let alone saw this before! quite like this – it has gene80s stamped all over it.

I was just looking at the details about this book on Amazon and it looks pretty interesting. Mike is the first member of the band to write his own biography. I will buy this as it appears that it could be worth a read.

Astonishing. I thought I had pretty much seen all Genesis-related promo videos there were. It is jarring to see Rutherford lip-sync and be the frontman like that.

And to be so far ahead of the product placement curve with Cadbury's. Equally astonishing.

First I've ever heard Rutherford's voice. Not very appealing - especially with such dated, nondescript music around it. I was surprised how he sounds a little Gabriel-ish (i.e. hoarse) in the latter part of the song.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Just wondering,.... Would this be the first hands-on (I mean by a band member) classic Genesis years book written ??

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    I wonder if he'll mention this:

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    ^ never heard let alone saw this before! quite like this – it has gene80s stamped all over it.
    Never heard or saw this either

This could've been sung by The Gabe... and featured on one of his album (corca Melt until So)... Don't really like it enough, though
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Just wondering,.... Would this be the first hands-on (I mean by a band member) classic Genesis years book written ??
    Well, a few years ago there was this big book which was kind of a collective autobiography, although I can't remember if this was just a collection of existing quotes or original interviews. Too lazy to check now.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Well, a few years ago there was this big book which was kind of a collective autobiography, although I can't remember if this was just a collection of existing quotes or original interviews. Too lazy to check now.

... I understand....

But this could be interesting, though I'd rather have heard/read Banks' insider's view, rather than Mike's (or Steve's FTM)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well, a few years ago there was this big book which was kind of a collective autobiography, although I can't remember if this was just a collection of existing quotes or original interviews. Too lazy to check now. .
    That was "Chapter & Verse": compiled from original interviews made circa 2007 with every band member past and present. Very interesting read: it was a chronological history of the band as remembered by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ... I understand....

But this could be interesting, though I'd rather have heard/read Banks' insider's view, rather than Mike's (or Steve's FTM)
    Banks is known for having a very strong personality: I sure would like to read his view of things but I suspect it would sometimes be heavily biased. I think Rutherford's view of things might be more "neutral".
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Banks is known for having a very strong personality: I sure would like to read his view of things but I suspect it would sometimes be heavily biased. I think Rutherford's view of things might be more "neutral".

I totally agree... Banks' story would be like Gilmour or Waters' inside views of Floyd, whereas Rutherford's would be more luke Mason's incredibly diplomatic rendition of Floyd's secret life.

But that's precisely why I'd prefer Bank's over Rutherford's views.
    Digging The Dirt is my fave PG solo track

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    First I've ever heard Rutherford's voice. Not very appealing - especially with such dated, nondescript music around it. I was surprised how he sounds a little Gabriel-ish (i.e. hoarse) in the latter part of the song.
    This is from the decidedly bizarre (not necessarily in a good way!) 'Acting Very Strange' album. There's another song from a bit later 'Making A Big Mistake' which I thought actually *was* PG singing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This is from the decidedly bizarre (not necessarily in a good way!) 'Acting Very Strange' album. There's another song from a bit later 'Making A Big Mistake' which I thought actually *was* PG singing on it.
    Acting Very Strange was the first thing I ever bought from Ebay, way back in about 1996. It was a used CD for about six or eight bucks. It's not great but I would actually rather listen to it than Smallcreep's Day, which I've just never really cared for - I know that will be a minority opinion. I do really like the track "Compression" though, which was a b-side from that album... a better track than can be found on either of Mike's solo albums actually. As for "Making A Big Mistake", that's the one that was on Against All Odds soundtrack, right? A soundtrack that featured Mike, Pete, and of course Phil all contributing individual tracks!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^It was. 'Walk Through The Fire' was the PG song exclusive to that soundtrack.

'Acting Very Strange' has been OOP for years. Nobody's in any hurry to reissue it!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Acting Very Strange' has been OOP for years. Nobody's in any hurry to reissue it!
    LOL that's for sure! I actually do like the last track "Hideaway" though. I think Mike quickly realized that he needed a solid band around him, with other songwriters and not just session guys (despite names on Acting Very Strange like Stewart Copeland and Peter Robinson), which led to the formation of The Mechanics. He is also not a lead singer at ALL.

One also wonders what on earth Mike was thinking with that cover.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Auto buy for me.

Steve Sly

Coming from one of the original Carthusians, I'm curious to learn how much Mike's (and by extension Tony and Peter's) upper middle class upbringing really factored into their musical careers over the years. It's the image that the punks latched onto in reviling the big 70s groups and I'm curious to see if there's any truth to it.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Worth noting that the 'punks' and indeed other big rock acts had their share of members from middle/upper class backgrounds, but Genesis never faked a different background to curry favour with certain elements of the press (some of whom had more in common with Genesis' background themselves).

There's always been an honesty and integrity about them IMHO. They also were one of the few big 70s rock acts to explicitly acknowledge the support they received from grass roots fanbases, returning to smaller venues on several tours.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    LOL that's for sure! I actually do like the last track "Hideaway" though. I think Mike quickly realized that he needed a solid band around him, with other songwriters and not just session guys (despite names on Acting Very Strange like Stewart Copeland and Peter Robinson), which led to the formation of The Mechanics. He is also not a lead singer at ALL.

One also wonders what on earth Mike was thinking with that cover.

"Are you running away! 'cause I'm in love with you. There's nothing you can do! I'm in love with you."

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 01-10-2014 at 06:54 AM.

I think his voice sounds pretty good. Better singer than Steve Howe ;-) His backing vocals on SECONDS OUT have a nice blend with Collins.