Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Dichotomy in Taste: Liking Both Tight and Sloppy Music

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I can dig "loose," but I can't dig "sloppy." There IS a difference. For me, "loose" implies a certain elasticity; a willingness to go out on a limb at the risk of that limb breaking. I'm all for that, especially when done by a band that can play tight when the music calls for that.

"Sloppy" just means that the players aren't capable of properly articulating on their instruments. We don't accept any sort of incompetency in athletes, doctors, plumbers, cashiers... etc. Why is it okay for musicians?

If "songs that have less than 15 chord changes" means "songs that have 3 chords," I generally can't dig that. There are exceptions; sometimes I'll love a 3 chord song and I can't explain why. But for the most part, typical and over-used chord progressions and harmonically simplistic music irks me. Maybe it's the "muso" in me... probably is. But with infinite possibilities within the realm of our 12 note system, I can't understand why anybody would gravitate to things that have already been done to death.
    Pretty much what I was going to say, just expressed much better than I would have done it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I can dig "loose," but I can't dig "sloppy." There IS a difference. For me, "loose" implies a certain elasticity; a willingness to go out on a limb at the risk of that limb breaking. I'm all for that, especially when done by a band that can play tight when the music calls for that.

"Sloppy" just means that the players aren't capable of properly articulating on their instruments. We don't accept any sort of incompetency in athletes, doctors, plumbers, cashiers... etc. Why is it okay for musicians?

If "songs that have less than 15 chord changes" means "songs that have 3 chords," I generally can't dig that. There are exceptions; sometimes I'll love a 3 chord song and I can't explain why. But for the most part, typical and over-used chord progressions and harmonically simplistic music irks me. Maybe it's the "muso" in me... probably is. But with infinite possibilities within the realm of our 12 note system, I can't understand why anybody would gravitate to things that have already been done to death.
    I'd have to agree in general, but there are many exceptions

but I do love "looser" moments in music... Nothing better than when a muso 'lets it go"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.