Thread: Steve Hillage - Green

Steve Hillage - Green

A Nick Mason Production....Utterly Amazing Record!!!!!!!! Any Fans??????

Yes. A fan, although I have to admit to not listening to this since years.

"Palm Trees" is still a beautiful track, and I had a strange, nostalgic experience when it played on Norwegian FM radio a few years back - without introduction or explanation at all; just played between regular programs. And his voice actually works on that one.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Steve was heroically hippyish at the time, and a great guitarist. I prefer his first two studio albums Fish Rising and L, and the live double Live Herald.

I seem to remember this being my favourite of his...it does help that the vocals are kept to a minimum!

Quote Originally Posted by Homburg View Post
    Steve was heroically hippyish at the time,
    I remember somewhere I read where his lyrics were described as "unrelentingly upbeat" or something like that.

I happen to like all of Steve's solo records, but Green I think in particularly was a high point. I like that all the tracks are segued together, making each LP side a continuous suite, as it were. And I think he incorporated the funk influence better on Green than he had on Motivation Radio (which was perhaps a little too funky).

I actually just pulled this one out for a listen a few weeks ago. I like "Fish Rising" better, but of the Hilliage albums I own I think "Green" would probably come in at #2.

Steve Sly

Steve was heroically hippyish at the time, and a great guitarist. I prefer his first two studio albums Fish Rising and L, and the live double Live Herald.
    This is also someone whose albums I need to pick up. From what I know and have heard, couldn't they all have been called "Let's Get Stoned Vol. 1", ""Let's Get Stoned Vol. 2", etc.

Definitely a Gong vibe and clearly an influence on later bands like the Ozrics.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

BBC Radio 1 show with some of this material is ridiculously good and such a fantastic recording. Awesome album.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I actually just pulled this one out for a listen a few weeks ago. I like "Fish Rising" better, but of the Hilliage albums I own I think "Green" would probably come in at #2.

Steve Sly
    Pretty much my thoughts as well.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I love everything he did up to For To Next And Not Or (or whatever the heck that pair was called) although one of those was pretty good IIRC
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I love everything he did up to For To Next And Not Or (or whatever the heck that pair was called) although one of those was pretty good IIRC
    That one has not aged very well to my ears. Much more dated sounding than his earlier works.

Steve Sly

I'm a "Fish Rising" and "Rainbow Dome" fan. But "Green" is another good one. A return to his earlier work in a way.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

"Palm Trees" is by far my fave Hillage tune. Wish I caught it live a few years ago when Steve did his solo band set at the Gong UnConvention. I have Green on green vinyl. Cool
    As far as the, For To Next - And Not Or set, the And Not Or album (that's the instrumental one) is brilliant.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That one has not aged very well to my ears. Much more dated sounding than his earlier works.

Steve Sly
    The irony being, at the time, he and everyone else who made records that sounded like that thought they were making "futuristic" music or whatever. I like a lot of synth pop music, but I do agree a lot of it is very dated sounding.

Anyone know what the image on the cover is about?

Om Riff live Paris 79

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Anyone know what the image on the cover is about?
    A geometrical Generator, the circles and the triangle creating the elipse.

With some esoteric bla bla maybe a woman and a man generating a new universe or something like that...

I have two of the Green Vinyl versions, cool album, my fav after "L"

I too have this one on green vinyl. Great album. Up there with Fish Rising, "L", Radio Dome.

Has its moments but I don’t like it nearly as much as Fish Rising or L. He gets awfully mired in hippie-era cheese on this one. I liked “The Glorious Om Riff,” but I liked it even better as “Master Builder.” (I actually heard Hillage’s solo version first)
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The irony being, at the time, he and everyone else who made records that sounded like that thought they were making "futuristic" music or whatever. I like a lot of synth pop music, but I do agree a lot of it is very dated sounding.
    Try Tull's Under Wraps for starters. Ridiculous listen. Even though there are songs on it that could arguably have been bettered by completely altering their instrumental arrangements.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yes, agreed. It's a pleasing irony that artists who strive too hard to sound contemporary usually eventually sound the most dated. Especially from the early 80s. Disappointingly few 'old wave' acts had the courage of their convictions and said 'bugger the latest trends' at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Try Tull's Under Wraps for starters. Ridiculous listen.
    Yes, one might have hoped that Tull, in particular, would have proudly stuck to 'living in the past'.

Yes, one might have hoped that Tull, in particular, would have proudly stuck to 'living in the past'.
    Agree. The 80s were a slighter decade for all these Big 4-5-6 bands...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

that's mostly it for me, butI could do without L

I don't detest the other albums, but they lea ve me cold.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Listening to this album with headphones whilst tripping in the mid 1980's was an illuminating experience for me.