Thread: Steve Rothery Band

Steve Rothery Band

I just bought the download "Live in Plovdiv" for 50p! It is the only thing from Marillion (since Seasons End anyway) or side project (e.g. Transatlantic) that has captured my interest and I look forward to the album planned for next year. The crowd sourcing for this seems to be going well. Use the link via the prog magazine website for the 50p code;

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/mari...album-for-50p/

Although I enjoyed it so much I'm going to buy another copy and pay more than 50p.

Thanks for the reminder! I'll grab this right now...I've already pre-ordered the album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

3 minutes and 92 cents later, the FLAC files sit on my hard drive! Nice!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

This is really, really good stuff. It's fascinating to see what Rothery gets up to outside the confines of Marillion. I'm really looking forward to his album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, damn - thanks for the reminder! I would have clean forgot as I couldn't get to Bandcamp at work. I upped the fee to 2 pounds just because I wanted to. After all, it's God we're talking about, not any ordinary guitarist.

I watched most of the Marillion at Cadogan Hall BD last night (just upgraded from the DVD) and was just blown away again. Need to try to fit Christmas in the Chapel into my viewing before New Year's Day!

Any of you ever signed up for the Bandcamp fan account? Wondering if it's at all worthwhile - you can stream all your Bandcamp purchases using their app.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Any of you ever signed up for the Bandcamp fan account? Wondering if it's at all worthwhile - you can stream all your Bandcamp purchases using their app.
    Didn't realise it was a "fan account", but I can stream my purchases using their app as you say, plus I can build a wish list like amazon, which I find useful.

I'm almost done with my first listen to the download, and it's very good. Quite a similar experience to listening to the first solo Gilmour record, which makes sense.

Yeah, I've listened a few times now and it's great stuff. I'm not wild about the out-of-context Marillion guitar solos though. I see why he included them, but I've already deleted them from the playlist, preferring to focus just on the new original stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, I've listened a few times now and it's great stuff. I'm not wild about the out-of-context Marillion guitar solos though. I see why he included them, but I've already deleted them from the playlist, preferring to focus just on the new original stuff.
    Yeah, I feel the same way about the out of context Marillion stuff. I think it'll be fine if he plays some complete Marillion songs in concert, but as they obviously didn't have someone to do vocals, it was just a bit weird. Though it sounded like he'd started to work out some decent new arrangements of them.

This is definitely great stuff. It captures my attention better than any of the Marillion stuff since Marbles. I don't even miss not having vocals, they'd just get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by cingram View Post
    This is definitely great stuff. It captures my attention better than any of the Marillion stuff since Marbles. I don't even miss not having vocals, they'd just get in the way.
    Wow, I can't go that far, but it does seem to me to be better than either of the Wishing Tree albums. Marillion is truly a band that is greater than the individual members, and IMO none of the solo studio material has been anywhere near as good as Marillion itself. Steve Hogarth's solo shows are excellent, but they wouldn't be as good if he didn't do a healthy selection of Marillion songs. I also like most of the covers he does, but I don't really care for most of the solo material he's written himself. Basically, if it isn't a full band project, it seems like it never rises to the same level (par for the course, usually), however, Rothery seems to have realized judging from this live sampling, that giving the people what they want, in his case, a load of excellent Rothery electric guitar playing, is the surest way to go. And he's already had good success with the kickstarter campaign, so bring it on!

I think what I really appreciate is the return to following a melodic type of sound that has songs that build upon themselves to become something very special. The recent Marillion has lacked that, they are all over the place anymore, on top of being sometimes overbearing.

Quote Originally Posted by cingram View Post
    I think what I really appreciate is the return to following a melodic type of sound that has songs that build upon themselves to become something very special. The recent Marillion has lacked that, they are all over the place anymore, on top of being sometimes overbearing.
    I agree. Though I still like Marillion, I don't enjoy their last few albums in the same way that made me love this band back in the day and for many years. Their more recent albums just ramble on a bit to my ears. There is a cohesiveness and diversity missing and songs will often go on longer than need be just to give Hogarth a forum to warble. I think Steve's got a great voice, but the last few albums are an indication that he thinks so too. I really think he could reign things in a bit. Marbles was really the last Marillion album that I would classify as excellent. The ones since, have definite moments, but per my comment above, some of the magic is missing.

That said, I like this live recording from Rothery and I think the upcoming studio album could be very good. I agree that the short segments of Marillion songs were a little out of place. It might have worked better and perhaps had been more fun to listen to if he had worked these segments into a long medley. The short pieces don't really work very well on their own. All in all though, this live recording is very entertaining.

Apparently soon on Kickstarter we'll be able to upgrade our pledges to get the Special edition of the album. Here's a description of the Special edition - according to Rothery's latest email he's having some trouble getting Kickstarter to enable everyone who pledged for the CD to upgrade to the Special edition, but I guess we'll be able to soon.

Special edition of the album including a DVD featuring a making of documentary and a live performance from Real World studios filmed by Lasse Hoile. The cd booklet will be at least 32 pages and will contain all the names of the people who buy the special edition through the Kickstarter campaign (unless you request not be included). It will also feature extra artwork by Lasse Hoile and some of my photos from the making of the album.

Apparently soon on Kickstarter we'll be able to upgrade our pledges to get the Special edition of the album. Here's a description of the Special edition - according to Rothery's latest email he's having some trouble getting Kickstarter to enable everyone who pledged for the CD to upgrade to the Special edition, but I guess we'll be able to soon.

Special edition of the album including a DVD featuring a making of documentary and a live performance from Real World studios filmed by Lasse Hoile. The cd booklet will be at least 32 pages and will contain all the names of the people who buy the special edition through the Kickstarter campaign (unless you request not be included). It will also feature extra artwork by Lasse Hoile and some of my photos from the making of the album.
    The upgrade thingy still doesn't work, but I was able to click on Manage My Pledge and just change my pledge to the 24 pound special edition.

Steve posted a new studio clip - I see he's grown some facial hair!

From the latest Marillion eWeb, about Steve's solo project:

For anyone wanting to order the special edition and pay via PayPal (it's not supported by Kickstarter) please email info@steverothery.com for instructions. If you order within the next 14 days you'll still be eligible to have your name in the special edition booklet.

Also, Steve has extended the period when you can order the Live in Plovdiv download for 50p to January 31st.

The upgrade thingy still doesn't work, but I was able to click on Manage My Pledge and just change my pledge to the 24 pound special edition.
    Yep, that's what I did too!

I like it alot and so much look forward to the upcoming studioalbum!