Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Cuneiform Appreciation Thread

A Cuneiform Appreciation Thread

Hello everyone -

I thought I'd dedicate a thread to the appreciation of one of the finest progressive labels on the planet - Cuneiform! What Cuneiform bring is a label that you can count on. Sure, they've put out a few releases I liked less than their others, but I've yet to be disappointed by anything. Above all, you have to admire the sheer eclectic nature of it. In fact, whenever I add a Cuneiform release to my collection, it's amazing how a single record can make my collection seem bigger and a lot more interesting!

Take two of their releases this year - Chrome Hoof's "Chrome Black Gold" and Curtis Hasselbring's "Number Stations". What we have here are two radically different, yet completely engaging and fresh releases. Then you add something like Pixel's "We Are All Small Pixels" - some of the most beautiful jazz I've heard in a long time on a supposedly 'difficult' music label!

Now, I don't have the money to pick up everything they've released, but what I have heard is amazingly diverse. I think the first record I picked up was Univers Zero's debut and what an amazing journey it's been since! Through Cuneiform, I've discovered the worlds of Present, Cheer-Accident, Gosta Berlings Saga, Hamster Theater, The Muffins, Guapo, Miriodor, Forgas Band Phenomena and many, many more fresh, exciting, and truly progressive artists.

So, let's dedicate a thread to the appreciation of this great label! What are your favorite releases? Favorite discoveries?
    Last edited by zombywoof; 12-28-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like the Softs release(s) that include a DVD.

Yes the attention to detail is commendable especially with the archival releases, and i'm talking about the info in the liner notes specifically.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm a long time fan of Cuneiform, I usually find a few cd's to buy in each round of releases and have started exploring jazz further. Among my favorites are Guapo, Present, Univers Zero, Ahvak, Forgas, Thinking Plague, Miriodor, Cheer-Accident.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A bunch of my favorite albums of the year were released on Cuneiform (Pixel, Blue Cranes, and Chrome Hoof to name a few), and I'm really enjoying the older stuff that I've been hearing, especially Univers Zero, Thinking Plague, Time of Orchids, Deus Ex Machina, and The Muffins. A significant number of albums that I've bought over the last year have been Cuneiform releases, and they haven't disappointed me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm a long time fan of Cuneiform, I usually find a few cd's to buy in each round of releases and have started exploring jazz further. Among my favorites are Guapo, Present, Univers Zero, Ahvak, Forgas, Thinking Plague, Miriodor, Cheer-Accident.
    I like all of those, but I'm yet to have heard Ahvak. Must check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Hello everyone -

I thought I'd dedicate a thread to the appreciation of one of the finest progressive labels on the planet - Cuneiform! What Cuneiform bring is a label that you can count on. Sure, they've put out a few releases I liked less than their others, but I've yet to be disappointed by anything. Above all, you have to admire the sheer eclectic nature of it. In fact, whenever I add a Cuneiform release to my collection, it's amazing how a single record can make my collection seem bigger and a lot more interesting!

Take two of their releases this year - Chrome Hoof's "Chrome Black Gold" and Curtis Hasselbring's "Number Stations". What we have here are two radically different, yet completely engaging and fresh releases. Then you add something like Pixel's "We Are Small Pixels" - some of the most beautiful jazz I've heard in a long time on a supposedly 'difficult' music label!

Now, I don't have the money to pick up everything they've released, but what I have heard is amazingly diverse. I think the first record I picked up was Univers Zero's debut and what an amazing journey it's been since! Through Cuneiform, I've discovered the worlds of Present, Cheer-Accident, Gosta Berlings Saga, Hamster Theater, The Muffins, Guapo, Miriodor, Forgas Band Phenomena and many, many more fresh, exciting, and truly progressive artists.

So, let's dedicate a thread to the appreciation of this great label! What are your favorite releases? Favorite discoveries?
    On your recommendation I bought the pixel album from iTunes and listened to it in the car. I wouldn't go as far your appraisal, but quite enjoyable and infectious. Loved how the voice doubles the melody in the horns. Very nice.

I have a bunch of albums by Boud Deun and Present -- and 1-2 albums each for several (maybe 10) others. Overall, half of all of these albums I haven't heard yet -- same ratio goes pretty much for the rest of my proggy CDs.

My love of the avant is pretty well known, on the jazz side I really like Blue Cranes, Pixels, Claudia Quintet, Sao Paolo Underground, Ergo, Dylan Ryan / Sand.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thinking Plague
    Happy Family
    UZ
    5uu's
    U Totem
    Von Zamla
    Soft Machine
    Hugh Hopper

many more

My stash would be greatly diminished if the Cuneiform releases were taken away. The label imo is on par w/ ECM and Tzadik as a primary source of documentation for anyone who wants musically induced blood chemistry alterations. Also, the Wayside catalog has been a perennial MVP in providing the marketplace w/ recordings that work the perimeter. Unfortunately Steve is keenly aware of the fact that talk is cheap, and it looks like no amount brown nosing will get him to do another Cuneifest!

Viva Cuneiform/Wayside! Like many here I have quite a few titles.

I'd be hard pressed to list my favorites.There are so many.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    My stash would be greatly diminished if the Cuneiform releases were taken away. The label imo is on par w/ ECM and Tzadik as a primary source of documentation for anyone who wants musically induced blood chemistry alterations. Also, the Wayside catalog has been a perennial MVP in providing the marketplace w/ recordings that work the perimeter. Unfortunately Steve is keenly aware of the fact that talk is cheap, and it looks like no amount brown nosing will get him to do another Cuneifest!
    I consider myself lucky to have been one of the 60(?) people who attended Cuneifest. It was extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I consider myself lucky to have been one of the 60(?) people who attended Cuneifest. It was extraordinary.
    Indeed, it was wonderful.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Indeed, it was wonderful.
    When was Cuneifest? It either slipped under my radar or I wasn't following the festival scene at the time. Who played?

Everything about Cuneifest is archived here:

http://www.cuneiformrecords.com/fest...ore/index.html

p.s. This: "In fact, whenever I add a Cuneiform release to my collection, it's amazing how a single record can make my collection seem bigger and a lot more interesting!", is one of the most genuinely enthusiastic and nice things anyone has ever said about our work. Big, big thanks.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I thoroughly enjoy the whole damn catalog. Pretty much. I think I've got some 150+ Cuneis.

Some of my fave "progressive rock" releases of all time (and especially post-70s) were released here.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Best way to show Appreciation - buy the albums

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Hail hail! Favorites: Guapo, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero.

One of my top 3 current labels.

My first purchases from the lable were UZ- Uzed and the second Present album...on vinyl, circa 1984-86. I bought these new at a local record store when I was 19-ish and was intrigued by the label. Definitely has made my life richer.

I couldn't agree more about this extraordinary label. I'll never forget hearing their two samplers included in Progression Magazine around the turn of the last century--everything I have bought from them meets a high level of quality and adventurousness. I am grateful that such a business--which is obviously a labor of love--continues to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    My first purchases from the lable were UZ- Uzed and the second Present album...on vinyl, circa 1984-86.

I've only got three Cunei titles on vinyl; Le Poison Qui Rend Fou by Present, Faultline by Birdsongs of the Mesozoic and Open City by The Muffins. I know a friend of mine has Uzed (by UZero) - but what other Cunei vinyls were there before the recent string of stuff? I mean I've got Rencontres by Miriodor, but that's on a private Quebecois label; so I'd be interested in knowing which titles were released on vinyl by Cuneiform during the 80s... Anyone?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Vinyl:

1 R. Stevie Moore "What's The Point"
    2 However "Calling"
    3 Present "Le Poison Qui Rend Fou"
    4 David Borden "Anatidae"
    5 Muffins "Open City"
    6 PFS "Illustrative Problems"
    7 Piero Milesi "Nuclear Observatory"
    8 Doctor Nerve "Armed Observation"
    9 Univers Zero "Heatave"
    10 David Borden "Migration"
    11 Phil Miller "Cutting Both Ways"
    12 Curlew "Live In Berlin"
    13 Mikael Rouse "A Lincoln Portrait"
    14 Miriodor "Miriodor"
    15 Univers Zero "UZED"
    19 Birdsongs of the Mesozoic "Faultline"
    20 Univers Zero "1313"

that's it. happy hunting.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Vinyl:

1 R. Stevie Moore "What's The Point"
    2 However "Calling"
    6 PFS "Illustrative Problems"
    7 Piero Milesi "Nuclear Observatory"
    8 Doctor Nerve "Armed Observation"
    9 Univers Zero "Heatave"
    11 Phil Miller "Cutting Both Ways"
    12 Curlew "Live In Berlin"

that's it. happy hunting.
    Thx for the list, and come to think of it I *did* know about the above ones. I'll keep my eyes open here!