Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RUSH: Debut album to receive 40th. Anniversary deluxe treatment

Wow, that live show sounds much better - You can Hear Neils Improvisation on the first album material - The hi-hat work, the fills are just far better than the original album. Thats no John Rutsey playing there. It isnt that Rutsey was bad, its just Neil makes a Three peice band far more listenable. His Velocity ind intensity makes Rutsey sound weak. That first album would be more like Fly by night if they redid it with Neil. Just Dump Johns tracks and put in Neils - He could probably do it in an afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Wow, that live show sounds much better - You can Hear Neils Improvisation on the first album material - The hi-hat work, the fills are just far better than the original album. Thats no John Rutsey playing there.
    Are you sure? Because earlier it was described as being 'too simple to be Neil'. LOL!

I do recommend anyone who is into this era of the band pick up the live set ABC 1974. I don't think the band gave their blessing on that one, seems a tad dodgy, but it's a roaring good time. I've had that stuff for years on cassette but it's nice to have an actual CD of it. Now we need the Electric Ladyland Studios 1974 broadcast cleaned up and released! Geddy's ad-libbed lyrical change in "Bad Boy" is hilarious... "you flipped your dog on acid and now he's flipping on his back!"
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Are you sure? Because earlier it was described as being 'too simple to be Neil'. LOL!
    No, I hear Neil in that first song. John Rutsey was not that precise a drummer. Neil gave it quite a kick - he didnt TOTALLY change the drum part, but the fills are far tighter and more complex, and particularly the hihat work is uniquley his own. John was far more fond of quarter and eighth notes, and he played like a girl compared to Neil.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Agreed.

D'oh!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    D'oh!

It's actually a pretty weak single, if you ask me. I mean, "Not Fade Away" is okay for a cover song, but Rutsey's "You Can't Fight It" was definitely the right one to leave off the album (was it "Take A Friend" they included instead? I can't remember now, read about it years ago). But since there is now the space to do so, it might as well be included as a bonus, since it's never been officially released on CD, and collectors' old 45's are probably getting scratched up by now. I actually prefer "Garden Road" and "Fancy Dancer", although I don't think either were ever recorded in a studio.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Are you sure? Because earlier it was described as being 'too simple to be Neil'.
    Hey, different people can hear different things. I'm not a musician. So, that didn't sound like Neal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post

Is this the full show?
    wow, thanks for sharing.

That is a killer. A no bullshit, rock'n'roll trio for sure.

I always did dig Rutsey, there's a certain element of danger and vulnerability and yet he comes out delivering a good ass kicking.

I like it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    wow, thanks for sharing.

That is a killer. A no bullshit, rock'n'roll trio for sure.

I always did dig Rutsey, there's a certain element of danger and vulnerability and yet he comes out delivering a good ass kicking.

I like it.
    As it was pointed out to me by a higher power, that's Neil(not John) playing on that show.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really miss Geddy's vocals when they sounded like that, way back when. Something's always been missing in their later stuff for me, and now I know what it is.

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    As it was pointed out to me by a higher power, that's Neil(not John) playing on that show.
    I didn't want to believe it but the higher power is right, after a closer inspection that clearly is Neil. The crazy thing is there are times when it sounds like the train is coming off the tracks which is uncharacteristic for Neil, it also sounds like he's using a Rutsey sized drum kit and maybe even a single bass. Pretty simplistic by Peart standards but the dead giveaways are in the accents and fills, and check out that solo in Working Man, its just screaming for that multiple cowbell thing like he did in those epic drum solos that were to come later.

Either way I'm still in favor of the first album getting the deluxe treatment, I'd buy it.

Banned
    there are times when it sounds like the train is coming off the tracks which is uncharacteristic for Neil, it also sounds like he's using a Rutsey sized drum kit and maybe even a single bass. Pretty simplistic by Peart standards
    All of what you said right here is why I thought that it was John.

I didn't want to believe it but the higher power is right, after a closer inspection that clearly is Neil. The crazy thing is there are times when it sounds like the train is coming off the tracks which is uncharacteristic for Neil
    Keep in mind it was about a month after he joined the band. Things tightened up before long. Another selling point for that Cleveland '74 show is the version of "Working Man" introduces parts of what was to become "By-Tor".

Keep in mind it was about a month after he joined the band.
    yeah I see that by the timeline, Rutsey's out in July, Neil's in in Aug, pretty amazing.